British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 15-12-19, 12:09 AM

Default Mystery badge from WW1 collection?

I acquired this (cap?) badge as part of a collection built during WW1 by a serviceman who apparently won badges in card games.

Appreciate any thoughts on its origin, I suspect it could be Canadian, given the source of the collection?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg badge 20191214_190636.jpg (38.9 KB, 156 views)
Old 15-12-19, 08:16 PM
Super Moderator

I don't recognise it as British although there is a similarity in design to the 7th Battalion the London Regiment.
Old 15-12-19, 09:08 PM

Ditto.

Chris

QUOTE=Alan O;494840]I don't recognise it as British although there is a similarity in design to the 7th Battalion the London Regiment.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by CAM; 15-12-19 at 09:10 PM. Reason: typo
Old 15-12-19, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3903 View Post
I acquired this (cap?) badge as part of a collection built during WW1 by a serviceman who apparently won badges in card games.

Appreciate any thoughts on its origin, I suspect it could be Canadian, given the source of the collection?
I'm confident in saying it's a Canadian badge, but not CEF. I also can't say whether it's cap or collar.

The 7th Regiment of the Canadian Militia was stationed in London, Ontario, along the local version of the river Thames. The regiment styled itself after the Royal Fusiliers, the regiment from that other London. They were the Canadian Fusiliers right up until the 50's when they rebadged to become 4th Bn, The Royal Canadian Regiment. Which was, incidentally, the Regiment into which I was commissioned.

Should you want more information, check out The Regimental Rogue run by Michael O'Leary. He's the most knowledgeable person about the RCR and its antecedents online of which I'm aware.

Cheers,
Dan.
Old 15-12-19, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
I don't recognise it as British although there is a similarity in design to the 7th Battalion the London Regiment.
Very, very similar. Slight difference in the how the flames are depicted and the font of the '7,' but I'll defer to the experts.

Cheers,
Dan.
Old 16-12-19, 06:26 AM

Default Canadian 7th Fusiliers

God Almighty I never thought I would identify a badge on this forum before someone else got it but I think I may have found it for you. Daniel Mazeas book Canadian badges, pre-CEF, page 69, 7th Fusiliers. Now notice these 7's have a fat ass on them but your's is certainly barking up the right tree. H think this may be it.

Monkey
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7th.jpg (90.0 KB, 58 views)
Old 16-12-19, 01:38 PM

I can see a similarity to images of the 7th Regiment of the Canadian Militia online (and can also see how the badge echos the British London Regiment's 7th battalion).

It's a cast (rather than stamped) badge and the numeral is secured via a small tab bent over inside the grenade -which I have noticed on a number of other Canadian badges of the early-mid 20th century.

It may be a collar dog, since the cap badge appears to include a wreath.

Thank you all for your thoughts and insights.
Old 16-12-19, 03:37 PM

Default What measurement?

I seem to remember that Mazeas books are drawn to scale. What is the exact length of your badge in mm.? I can compare it for you.

Monkey
Old 17-12-19, 10:10 PM

Default Thanks for offering to look up details!

Hello Monkey,

That's a very kind offer - I have posted an image of the badge length and also one showing the thickness of the cast and the cast attachment lugs.

Cheers,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg badge size.jpg (42.7 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg badge side.jpg (52.2 KB, 15 views)
Old 17-12-19, 10:30 PM

Default 55mm

Righto, in the Mazeas book the upper cap badge is 50mm tall and in the lower set of badges it is 55mm. You're very close to the 2nd set. 5mm out though. I wouldn't write off the Canadian option yet, still, not having had much experience with pre-CEF Canadian badges (which nearly always meant British manufacture) your badge is a little rough and looks perhaps more like and Indian badge or some such colonial concoction.

Monkey
Old 17-12-19, 11:30 PM

Thanks, let me explore the Indian angle...I agree it looks as if it has been somewhat crudely cast and simply constructed.