British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 19-10-14, 12:16 AM

Default My 'Art' Gallery..!

Hi Chaps,

I have shared a few occasional photographs on this topic before but thought that a dedicated thread might be more appropriate to share my progress on this project.

In between finding (and affording) new badges I came up with the idea of framing up some of my favorite badges to create something of an 'art' gallery in my office. After all some of these badges we collect are incredibly beautiful both in their design and craftsmanship.

The most positive aspect of this project is that many times each day I get to really enjoy my collection and it brings me great pleasure to stop, pause and once more take in these wonderful miniature pieces of historic art.

Forgive the poor photographs, it's actually quite challenging taking a photo of something framed but you will get the idea and each badge has it's own place in my albums if you want a closer look. These are mostly (but not always) Canadian badges, so thought this would be the most appropriate place to share this.

My latest 'frame-up' job shows my WWI/CEF 3rd Machine Gun Company cap badge. I will add more and update this thread as and when possible. Comments and/or critique always appreciated.

Cheers, Roy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0011.jpg (55.3 KB, 218 views)

Despatch Rider Insignia & Photographs.

Author/Dealer in the Fairbairn Sykes Fighting Knife
My website: www.fsknife.com
Old 19-10-14, 12:51 AM

Hi Roy

Many thanks for sharing your framed badge with us. The badge and the beautiful frame have become a piece of art worthy of hanging on any wall.

Regards

John

Last edited by woronora; 19-10-14 at 03:27 AM. Reason: correct grammar and spelling
Old 19-10-14, 10:41 AM

Hello Roy. I also thought of this idea so what i did amongst my collection i had a few German Luftwaffe and other German WW2 Badges and insignia so to keep them seperate from my British & Comenwealth Badges i had them specially framed, i Know a lot of people don't like the idea of showing of German WW2 Badges but in my opinion it is all apart of History.
Peter.
Old 19-10-14, 11:51 AM

Hi Roy,

I barely post, and just tend to be one of those who lurk in the background (even though I check new posts almost daily), but I have to say - thanks for posting the images of your presented badges. They look great and I do enjoy seeing them - inspired by your lead, I am in the process of framing some of mine to hang on the wall in my office at home.

Keep up the good work - and keep posting the images

Best wishes

Dave
Old 19-10-14, 03:58 PM

Greetings Gents,

Thanks so much for all your kind comments and support, truly appreciated.

John it never crossed my mind that the badge and frame together would make something even more 'arty' but now you mention it, it's obvious!

Peter I'm so pleased you went ahead and framed up your German insignia and would love you to share a photo here (despite it not being Canadian or Allied). As someone who has never collected any Axis items I understand your comments and see why most would not wish to 'hang these on the wall'. However some of these badges are incredibly well designed and I can certainly understand Your desire to enjoy them, after all I'm sure they cost you a lot, so would encourage you to continue collecting and most of all 'enjoying' your efforts.

Dave I think many a member "lurks in the background", nothing at all wrong with that my friend. But I'm grateful you took the time to reply to my thread and thrilled my efforts such as they are have inspired. Thank You for your support Dave and let us know how you get on with your framing projects.

In the mean time here is a photo of another one of my favorites. I loved the way this was came out and for a small badge decided 'not' to shy away from a 'robust' frame and I'm very pleased how it turned out. A rare WWII Prince Rupert Machine Gun Regt cap badge.

Cheers Gents.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0001.jpg (68.7 KB, 89 views)

Old 20-10-14, 09:59 AM

Hello Roy. Thanks for your reply and i appreiciate your views and opinions, and in your words " However some of these badges are incredibly well designed and I can certainly understand Your desire to enjoy them", so here are my framed German Badges and Insignia, the "SKULL BADGE" in the middle of the frame is an SS officer tie pin with long stem attached.
Peter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GERMAN BADGES (1).jpg (88.6 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg GERMAN BADGES (2).jpg (52.4 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg GERMAN BADGES (3).jpg (104.8 KB, 27 views)
Old 20-10-14, 03:04 PM

Hi Peter,

Many thanks indeed for sharing your framed badges. Although I know just about zero on these, they look very striking indeed.

The only time I came close to getting any Axis badge was at around 13 years old, (a winged eagle as I recall) a friend had swapped one and his father would not let him back in the house until he got rid of it! Still many fine soldiers perished on both sides and although I don't collect Axis items, I for one have no problem with people who do.

Controversy aside, the badges the Germans made had some terrific designs, many of which I understand are incredibly valuable today.

So while I'm posting here is another recently framed up one from my Canadian collection; The 10th Queens Own Canadian Hussars Officers Cap Badge. I chose to put this in a small frame partly because it is a very petite badge but also to vary the size of the frames.

Cheers, Roy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0007.jpg (53.8 KB, 63 views)

Old 26-10-14, 06:29 PM

Greetings Chaps,

A quiet Sunday today, so I thought I would put up two more of my pieces from my growing 'art' gallery.

These two have to be some of my favorite all time badges for various reasons. Sorry but the photos really don't accurately reflect how stunning these badges are but both can be found in my albums for a closer look.

The first is my 1888 Coorg & Mysore. Always smile when I see this striking badge. And to bring it back to Canada, the next is my 63rd Halifax Rifles. Personally I think you have to go a long way to find a more hansom badge than this one.

Cheers, Roy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0004.jpg (65.3 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0008.jpg (61.3 KB, 54 views)

Old 26-10-14, 06:33 PM

Great presentations. Thanks for posting
Old 30-10-14, 09:07 PM

Thanks Irish,

Appreciate your kind comments.

My latest effort today - 67th Infantry Battalion - framed and hung.

As with the others, once framed they're difficult to photograph, so a better image of the badge is available in my album.

My wife commented today that the wall is filling up and I still haven't got around to her project...

Cheers, Roy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0002.jpg (74.8 KB, 49 views)

Old 30-10-14, 10:25 PM

Good day Roy,

That is quite the 'art' collection you've got going there. Very nice.

Quick question, do you make the mattes and frames yourself, or do you get them made from a local custom shop? Either way, the presentation is stunning.

Ian
The day the government succeeds in taking away our dress uniforms, badges and colours, and all the so called "non-functional" items; they will find themselves with an army that cannot defend them. Robert Heinlein, "Starship Troopers"
Old 30-10-14, 10:35 PM

Hi Ian,

Thanks for that old chap. I'm really enjoying being able to create this gallery and finding it so much easier to get enjoyment out of my collectors. A day doesn't pass without me stoping to enjoy these beauties.

As to your question - well a little of both really.

We have a 'Hobby Lobby' just up the road, so I often call in and pick out 'off the shelf' frames, usually costing around $10 to $15. I create a pattern for a matt on my computer and print it off and have the same store cut it for me, usually costing only a few dollar ($3 or $4). But then I have to 'tweak' with the frames a little to get them deep enough to take the badge. This usually means I have to build up the back a little with some foam board.

I have a system down now, so it's not much work at all and the results are well worth the effort.

Cheers, Roy.

Old 31-10-14, 07:55 PM

Roy,

I'm sure you get great satisfaction doing the work yourself. I too make up my own frames for some of my displays, using my meagre wood-working skills. Glass from a local shop, the wood shaped, stained and finished -- and [I]voila[I]!! Of course, my frames don't come anyways near the beauty of yours, but they serve the purpose. I always say presentation is half the battle.

Cheers,

Ian
The day the government succeeds in taking away our dress uniforms, badges and colours, and all the so called "non-functional" items; they will find themselves with an army that cannot defend them. Robert Heinlein, "Starship Troopers"
Old 31-10-14, 09:50 PM

I think Roy must own the framing shop... Great displays...You might have to buy a bigger house with more wall space .... Keep them coming.... Jim
Old 31-10-14, 10:02 PM

Hi Jim & Ian,

Thanks so much, it's great to be able to share.

I recall as a young cabinet maker I would custom make one-off frames for family etc but gosh that took some work. Picking these up from the local store is a lot easier and not at all expensive.

Here is the one I use for my avatar and one of my earlier framing attempts - a really stunning badge to the The 1st British Columbia. Still catches my eye every time I walk in the office. Although I still have plenty of wall space to fill, just need to find those treasures (and afford them ).

Ian, lets have a look at your framing?

Cheers, Roy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0013.jpg (51.7 KB, 45 views)