British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Militaria

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 16-03-14, 05:53 PM

Default Somme casualty, West Yorks

2nd LT Sydney Barron Newlands , An officer with the West Yorks, Killed July 1st July
1916, Was he killed on the Somme? I would love to know what battalion or even platoon he was in, Was he mentioned in the diary? . Kev
Attached Images
File Type: jpg camper andbadges 006.jpg (98.9 KB, 18 views)
Old 16-03-14, 06:04 PM

Hi Kev
he was killed in action with the 16th Battalion (1st Bradford Pals) - although he wasnt one of their original officers. He only arrived in France in May 1916. he was the son of a vicar from Rayleigh in Essex and rather interestingly was born in Illinois in the USA. he was only 20 years onld when he was killed.

Hope that helps a bit !

PL
Old 16-03-14, 06:16 PM

that is superb many thanks I had never known his battalion before, I will have to see if I can find what area they were in. I bought this single medal in a junk shop in North Norfolk years ago , I keep it on the wall with a small collection of badges from the Regiment. Kev
Old 16-03-14, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANGLE IRON View Post
that is superb many thanks I had never known his battalion before, I will have to see if I can find what area they were in. I bought this single medal in a junk shop in North Norfolk years ago , I keep it on the wall with a small collection of badges from the Regiment. Kev
He was killed when the 31st Division launched their attack on the fortress village of Serre. he is buried in Serre Road No2 Cemetery

PL
Old 16-03-14, 06:49 PM

Kev,

Take a look at The Royal British Legion [Spenborough Branch] web site section on Officers who died WW1 Sydney is listed with a photograph and full right up,apprently a good cricketer & bomb throwing instructor !!! The England test team could do with his sort now !!!

Gerard
Old 16-03-14, 07:40 PM

God bless this forum , I will have a go at the Spenborough website, Kev
Old 16-03-14, 08:03 PM

I found the website and must admit had a lump in my throat when I showed the medal, picture and the write up to my 19 year old son.
Old 16-03-14, 08:30 PM

Not sure if you knew that he was the son of Rev R W Newlands, Hawenden Lodge Rayleigh Essex
Old 17-03-14, 07:07 AM

Thankyou all, I now have some good information to go with the medal, Has anyone had a look at war diaries online in general is it easy to do?
Old 01-09-14, 12:50 PM

Default Sydney Barron Newlands

Can't really add anything to what you have already got on Sydney Barron Newlands other than to say he is on the Silcoates School (Wakefield) Roll of Honour I am researching and it is always good to see a picture of the medals so many thanks for posting it on the site.

Chris