British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Headdress

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 05-11-23, 02:28 AM

Default 1st Volunteer Battalion, The Royal Lancaster Regiment

Hello all,

... just posting some pictures of my newest acquisition, an officer's home service helmet to the 1st Volunteer Battalion, The Royal Lancaster Regiment that arrived the day after my officer's home service helmet to the 2nd Midlothian and Peebles Rifle Volunteers was delivered and pictured in an earlier post... in the case of both of these home service helmets, the helmet plates are original to the helmet... comments welcome...

Regards all,

David
Old 05-11-23, 09:03 AM

Default 1st Volunteer Battalion, The Royal Lancaster Regiment

Great items, thanks for sharing.

Rob
Old 05-11-23, 11:33 AM

I can only repeat what I said about the other helmet: amazingly good preserved item.

Interested in the lineage of the unit your badge represents?
Try: Regimental lineages
Old 05-11-23, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofacqms View Post
Great items, thanks for sharing.

Rob
Hi Rob...

... thank you for taking time to look at these home service helmets and your most appreciated remark!!

Cheers,

David
Old 05-11-23, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmr-RHB View Post
I can only repeat what I said about the other helmet: amazingly good preserved item.
Hi Henk,

As always, thank you for taking time to look at my posts and, in particular, this most recent one showcasing the most recent additions to my helmet collection. It is too bad we don't live in closer proximity to each other... I have a lovely 30-year-old Port Dundas single grain Scotch we could sip while you are looking over my collection! I always appreciate your very generous, very kind, and always informative remarks!!

Best regards.

David
Old 05-11-23, 02:35 PM

I would love to see your collection, with or without the sip.

But your pictures do pay them service. Let them keep coming.

Interested in the lineage of the unit your badge represents?
Try: Regimental lineages
Old 05-11-23, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmr-RHB View Post
I would love to see your collection, with or without the sip.

But your pictures do pay them service. Let them keep coming.
Hi Henk,

I'll save the Port Dundas to share should you ever find yourself on my side of the Atlantic Ocean, and I will keep posting as I add new and exciting and interesting pieces to my collection.

Best regards,

Davis
Old 05-11-23, 05:12 PM

David
Very discerning collection - your items are top quality, which is the way to go ...
Mike
Old 05-11-23, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
David
Very discerning collection - your items are top quality, which is the way to go ...
Mike
Hi Mike,

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! I do strive to seek out those more obscure and unique pieces of British Army memorabilia, but certainly not to the exclusion of other less rare or communally known quality pieces, that I can find to add to my collection. I do try very hard to remain cognoscente of the, I hope, high quality of my collection, and not diminish the collection with lesser quality pieces that are more easily found. For me, a good deal of the enjoyment of building my collection is seeking out fabulous items for the collection!

Thank you for taking the time to look at this post (and my previous posts) and your very generous and very kind remarks regarding the quality of my collection... your affirmation of that quality is extremely important to me and the collection!!

Very best regards,

David
Old 05-11-23, 05:40 PM

David,

Very nice blue cloths.

I guess they are mostly from the UK, but what is the shipping costs of such a Helmet to you there?

best wishes

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 05-11-23, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchesters View Post
David,

Very nice blue cloths.

I guess they are mostly from the UK, but what is the shipping costs of such a Helmet to you there?

best wishes
Hi Simon,

Yes, you are correct, these two home service helmets as well as all the helmets in my collection to include the dragoon helmets, are purchased and shipped from the United Kingdom with the exception of my four Canadian dragoon regiment helmets. Typically, it costs anywhere between 50.00GBP and 60.00GBP to ship them to the United States. In the case of these two helmets one was shipped via DHL at no cost to me, was shipped on a Monday and I received it at my home in the United States less than two days later on Wednesday. The other helmet was shipped on a Friday via UPS and arrived at my home on the following Monday morning, so again, about two days transit time at a cost to me of 68.00GBP. The record though, is a dragoon helmet that I purchased and was shipped from the United Kingdom via UPS that arrived at my home in 23 hours!! I think I paid 55.00GBP. Royal Mail International tracked packages, which I find very reliable to the United States, typically take about six to seven days to arrive because of the hand-off to the United States Postal Service and our customs process which can consume a couple of days to clear, and is only slightly less, in terms of cost, to ship in relation to UPS, DHL or FedEx.

I hope this helps! Did you want to ship something to me? LOL, LOL, LOL!!!

Very best regards,

David
Old 05-11-23, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeoHelmetGuy View Post
Hi Simon,

Yes, you are correct, these two home service helmets as well as all the helmets in my collection to include the dragoon helmets, are purchased and shipped from the United Kingdom with the exception of my four Canadian dragoon regiment helmets. Typically, it costs anywhere between 50.00GBP and 60.00GBP to ship them to the United States. In the case of these two helmets one was shipped via DHL at no cost to me, was shipped on a Monday and I received it at my home in the United States less than two days later on Wednesday. The other helmet was shipped on a Friday via UPS and arrived at my home on the following Monday morning, so again, about two days transit time at a cost to me of 68.00GBP. The record though, is a dragoon helmet that I purchased and was shipped from the United Kingdom via UPS that arrived at my home in 23 hours!! I think I paid 55.00GBP. Royal Mail International tracked packages, which I find very reliable to the United States, typically take about six to seven days to arrive because of the hand-off to the United States Postal Service and our customs process which can consume a couple of days to clear, and is only slightly less, in terms of cost, to ship in relation to UPS, DHL or FedEx.

I hope this helps! Did you want to ship something to me? LOL, LOL, LOL!!!

Very best regards,

David
David,

I was just curious how the shipping would maybe make buying from the UK prohibitave but I an pleasantly surprised at the reasonable cost and fast service that you have achieved.

I am regularly quoted £50+ by MailBoxes (the largest UK pick up/pack/post Service in the UK) just to send a box the size of a helmet a couple of hundred miles across England.

Here are some of mine for you to drool over

best wishes
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MancHelmets.jpg (85.3 KB, 35 views)

Old 05-11-23, 08:31 PM

Quote:
David,

I was just curious how the shipping would maybe make buying from the UK prohibitave but I an pleasantly surprised at the reasonable cost and fast service that you have achieved.

I am regularly quoted £50+ by MailBoxes (the largest UK pick up/pack/post Service in the UK) just to send a box the size of a helmet a couple of hundred miles across England.

Here are some of mine for you to drool over

best wishes
... Simon, I am envious of your collection... just gorgeous... your helmets and shakos look fabulous!! I am particularly attracted to the grey volunteer home service helmet; I would love to add one to my collection, but they don't seem to appear on the market often and in the condition I would want in my collection. Yours is magnificent as are all of your pieces in the photograph. I do like your pattern shakos too! I have resisted adding one or two examples to my collection, trying to stay true to my dragoon/home service helmet commitment only. I know if I give into temptation the collection will run amuck... and I realize I can't buy it all so I try to stay focused! Do you collect The Manchester Regiment and its affiliates exclusively as it looks like most if not everything in the picture is Manchester related? Is it possible to see pictures of individual helmet and shakos?

Back to the shipping business again... I think it's interesting that it costs almost as much to ship a couple hundred miles as it does 4000 miles. I think, probably 90% of my purchases are shipped via Royal Mail International tracked and have never had an issue. I can have home service helmet plates shipped via Royal Mail for anywhere between 11.00GBP and 15.00GBP for as many as three helmet plates at a time.

I am your buyer should you ever decide you might want to move along some helmets!!! LOL, LOL!!!

I really appreciate you sharing that photograph of your collection... I always enjoy seeing other collections especially when they of the exquisite quality as yours appears to be!!

Best regards,

David
Old 05-11-23, 09:19 PM

David,

I only collect to the Manchester Regiment particularly its constituent Lancashire RVC's and VB's.

here are a few photos I have already of some of my helmets.

best wishes
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1stVBhelmet.jpg (45.4 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 2ndVBhelmetKC.jpg (44.6 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 2VBHelmetQVC.jpg (59.1 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 3rdVBhelmetQVC.jpg (45.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 4thVBhelmetQVC.jpg (47.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 5thVBhelmetQVC.jpg (48.9 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 6thLancsMilitiaShako.jpg (57.6 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 6thLRVCquiltedShako.jpg (42.6 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 6thVBhelmetQVC.jpg (49.5 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Officers Forage Cap.jpg (119.9 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg RegularHelmetKC.jpg (48.0 KB, 12 views)

Old 05-11-23, 10:47 PM

Quote:
David,

I only collect to the Manchester Regiment particularly its constituent Lancashire RVC's and VB's.

here are a few photos I have already of some of my helmets.

best wishes
these helmets are FABULOUS, Simon!!! Am I correct in thinking that the various volunteer helmets are to the different battalions? All of my officer's home service helmet are Victorian era as are all of my dragoon helmet with the exception of the two or three I have that are Imperial Yeomanry.

I am looking for exceptional quality Victorian home service helmet plates for both a regular battalion and a volunteer battalion to the Manchester Regiment... it is so difficult to find and shopping quality pieces from my side of the ocean. I am tied to sellers who have an on-line presents, except e-Bay, auction houses such as Noonan's and contacts such as yourself that I have developed over the years, and certainly don't enjoy the sorts of militaria fairs that seem pretty prolific in the United Kingdom. We have a few large annual militaria shows here but the focus is, and I would say 90% of collectors here are Third Reich collectors and to a less degree Imperial German. As a Victoria/Edwardian British military collector, I am quite the anomaly!

Kind regards,

David