British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 07-02-19, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator

Black ones. For the summer jungle ones were issued.

For winter tours it was black Danner books from the US.
Old 07-02-19, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdWar_Conan View Post
What boots should I get? Would ones made by Bates, called 'Boots Patrol Brown Male' good for the RGR in Bosnia? It has an NSN, so it is genuine... Just wondering if it's too new or not.
Too new - brown boots only came in with MTP uniform

PL
Old 07-02-19, 02:36 PM

Ok black ones it is then
Old 08-02-19, 11:18 AM

I think I will need some rank slides that don't say RGR on them too. On pictures I see, they wear generic ones with light chevrons, unlike the black RGR ones. I found this cheap pair. https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F172455339345 something looks fishy about them. Am I correct in thinking these ones are fakes?
Old 08-02-19, 07:49 PM

Default Gurkha uniform

Hi Conan, Have you been tempted to order one of these yet?https://www.thekhukurihouse.com/2012...a-kukri-knives regards John

Last edited by cavalryman; 08-02-19 at 07:55 PM.
Old 11-02-19, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavalryman View Post
Hi Conan, Have you been tempted to order one of these yet?https://www.thekhukurihouse.com/2012...a-kukri-knives regards John
Yes, I have seen these... They are little bit expensive for me at the moment, but something I might get in a few months when I can finally get a job.
Old 13-02-19, 10:02 PM

Where should I sew the union flag onto the S95 jacket? At the moment I have it around 2cm in from the shoulder seam and about 3cm down, on the left arm. Is there a specific position it needs to go, or just roughly centred?
Old 14-02-19, 01:24 PM
Super Moderator

It should be in the centre: split half-half over the crease. As for height about 4 fingers below the shoulder seam.
Old 26-02-19, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh kitchen View Post
If you're putting together a RGR uniform for the Bosnia 1990's period I can do you a buckshee Bosnian Serb camo outfit.
I souvenired a few dozen of various camo patterns and button/press stud/velcro fastenings combinations and have a duplicate suit or two.
I say Bosnian Serb, the uniforms were worn by Serbs, Croats and Bosnian Muslims but the actual examples I have were worn by Bosnian Serb forces.
Hanging on the line as laundering seemed an idea (I would've just added images to my original post but it's too late to edit that post).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190226_090725727_HDR~2.jpg (110.6 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190226_090730001_HDR~4.jpg (73.1 KB, 12 views)
Old 26-02-19, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Hanging on the line as laundering seemed an idea (I would've just added images to my original post but it's too late to edit that post).
They look very nice love the camo pattern on the jacket!
Old 26-02-19, 11:55 AM

The pattern on the jacket is one that by 1999 was worn mainly or exclusively by the air force within the Republika Srpska forces.
I don't know if it was a form of general issue prior to then.
Old 27-03-19, 05:40 PM

I've got the beret all sorted now. One quick last thing... Did those gurkhas who were with the Royal Scots in Bosnia have any extra insignia, such as those belonging to the RS, SFOR patches, or gurkha brigade patches etc. Also, according to Wikipedia, the Gurkhas were with RS in 2002 for 6 months. Is that correct?
P.S, atm the combat uniform only has on it a union jack, so I really do mean any extra insignia.
Old 27-03-19, 05:59 PM
Super Moderator

I/SFOR patches were generally something worn by other nations and not UK forces.

The Gurkhas usually wore the Bde crossed kukris in black on green.
Old 27-03-19, 06:02 PM

#52 Report Post
Old 06-02-19, 05:17 PM

Quote:
The 1 R Scots Gurkhas I had dealings with in Republika Srpska 1999/2000 wore 16 Air Assault Brigade signs (I think in colour rather than subdued, but I'm not 100% sure).
You might be getting the Royal Scots Gurkha Reinforcement Company mixed up with 1 RGR. 1RGR were in 16 Bde and often chose to wear the colour badge. But the Royal Scots were never part of 16 Bde - I think the Royal Scots may have been part of 24 Airmobile Bde at that time(?)

Quote:
You could be right - I remember 2 Para & 1 RS, with their Gurkha Companies, also 2 LI Blues & Royals (or HC) and 14/20 KRH.
I have a recollection of a R Scots Gurkha Sgt who I used to have dealings with wearing the Green beret with tartan patch and having a brief discussion re. his 16 Bde badge and him saying his company had come from or were going to it.
All rather hazy now I'm afraid.
As I said above, I recollect a RGR Int. Sgt. wearing 16 Bde insignia just before he left Banja Luka, I tried but failed to scrounge one off him.
It could be that he and not his Company was going to 16 Bde.
Old 27-03-19, 06:40 PM

Interesting.
Leigh, I reckon it was his whole coy. I'm no genius, this is all Google info coming from me, but 16 Bde formed from the earlier 24th and 5th Infantry Bdes. According to this site
http://british-army-units1945on.co.u...yal-scots.html , the RS went to Bosnia as part of 24th Bde. (I assume we can ignore the fact that it says Gurkha coy only, seeming as Colin S's pic on page 3 shows a guy in his glengarry.) So I guess seeming as your interaction with them was '99, that coincides with the formation of the 16th Bde, and would possibly be why they were wearing that insignia.
Was that insignia effectively 'overriding' the standard Gurkha patch, or worn as well as?

Tags
gurkha