British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Airborne and Special Forces

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 09-12-09, 04:53 PM

Ed, are the two wings with the funky maple leaf and wings actual issue items? I've seen them before and assumed that they must be repros.

Steve
Old 09-12-09, 05:16 PM

Default Funky Maple Leaves

Yes, they were actual items that could be worn. Many of the unit kit shops sold wings for wear on the SSF Smock and these were purchased from a kit shop on base Petawawa in the 1980s.

I have not looked at my SSF Smock collection, but I may have one of these funky examples on a smock.
Old 09-12-09, 07:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by edstorey View Post
Yes, they were actual items that could be worn. Many of the unit kit shops sold wings for wear on the SSF Smock and these were purchased from a kit shop on base Petawawa in the 1980s.

I have not looked at my SSF Smock collection, but I may have one of these funky examples on a smock.
First thank you for your Pictures, Interesting, Funky Maple leafs You say Indeed! I only seen them in Army Surplus Stores

But if he States he saw them being Sold In the Kite Shop! It Could be Very True. I would not be able to confirm That.

Just asking how you attached the Pictures to the MSG! I tried to cut and Paste pictures but that did not work for me

Last edited by Recce; 09-12-09 at 07:42 PM.
Old 09-12-09, 08:36 PM
Super Moderator

Default Images

Hi Recce, There are two ways to post images.
First in the regular post a message box, there is a menu at the top. About half way across, there is a little paper clip icon. Click on it and another menu box opens. You can use it by clicking on the CHOOSE A FILE box and then find the image file on your computer and upload it. (You can also upload a file from a url this way.) This actually uploads your image to the forum server, so it is on there more or less permanently. Note there are size restrictions, and it allows you to upload quite a few different types of files.
Second method, click on the little icon that looks like a mountain. It allows you to use a third party host and link directly to the image. Eg I put images up on an image site, for example Photo Bucket. Then I select the link from the image on that site and copy and paste it into the url box that opened when you clicked on the Insert Image icon.
That should do it. The first method puts a thumb nail at the bottom of the post and they can be clicked and will enlarge. The second method will post the image directly into you message, like the ones in Ed's messages.
Old 03-02-12, 08:12 PM
Banned

Edward,

the wings you display, with the disfigured maple leaf are not issue. A surplus store in pembroke had them fabricated and vended them. The airborne kit shop sold them because it was attached to the museaum. more for wanna-be's and tourists, kind of a souvenir if you may. no jumper would purchase, or ornament there smock with thoes.

2 troopers come to mind. on inspection they were given unadorned consciousness from the warrant. Threatened with charge.

Last edited by Bill A; 03-02-12 at 08:24 PM. Reason: see Forum rules
Old 03-02-12, 08:20 PM

As Ed pointed out, they were sold by the kit shop and this does not translate to official issue. Some people will get away with wearing kit shop items while others are 'caught'.
Kit shops have also sold some of the ugliest and worst-made wings for wear on Mess Dress. These were never issue either but could be worn (if you had low standards).
I remember buying my CF shirts and a tie from Scully's in Montreal in the 70s. These were identical to the ones worn my Voyageur Bus Lines drivers. I was told by the Adjutant to replace the tie, more from jealousy I think as it was lined and made a very full knot - unlike the issue tie.
Old 03-02-12, 09:08 PM

Default What - Two Years Ago!!!

Muddyherb:

Those images were posted over two years ago, did you just wake up from hibernation? Do you have some additional information to add or are you just burning up electrons?
Old 03-02-12, 09:16 PM
Banned

Shirts, ties, uniforms in general is not the same as badges/medals. I myself have purchased or had tailor made several items. Badges not being one. I can garantee you, if you showed up on parade with jump wings with funky wings and distorted maple leafs, or any additional funky badge, a rathe would behold you and no one would be spared. Palpable and prompt sanctions and humiliation would heed.

Edward may have no hesitation and have a feasible elucidation how he earned and possed the wings.

I would like to play his game for once. . is my spelling ok? ************************* Words up to your criterion? Entertain me a veritable delineate of someone wearing it Edward.

It is a necessity said persons be from the airborne battle group. not a cadet at Ipperwash.

Last edited by Bill A; 03-02-12 at 10:11 PM. Reason: See Forum Rules.
Old 03-02-12, 10:48 PM

Were there ever "official issue" wings for the SSF smock, with NATO stock number?
There were all sorts of badges for sale in the Canadian Airborne Regiment kit shop - officers' cap badges, metal shoulder titles, cloth shoulder titles etc. I also seem to recall seeing members of the Airborne Regiment wearing the "disfigured" wings on their smocks. Those are the wings I have in my collection - direct from the Airborne Kit Shop, 1989.

Phil

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Old 03-02-12, 11:32 PM

Default Parachute Wings

Phil, you make a very valid point, I do not think that there were issue parachute wings once the ones the post-WWII ones were discontinued. I believe the wings for the Parachute Smock were not provided for by the crown and had to be purchased regimentally supplied.
Old 04-02-12, 12:10 AM
Banned

What is the reward for me? I was actually there.

Last edited by MUDDYHERB; 04-02-12 at 12:15 AM.
Old 04-02-12, 12:29 AM

Take a look at the wings in this photo.

Phil

Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Old 04-02-12, 12:43 AM
Banned

That is not corresponding to what Edward puplished. The parachute harness is drawing the smock/wings back distorting the the wings. Look close the wings and leaf are normal.
Old 04-02-12, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDDYHERB View Post
That is not corresponding to what Edward puplished. The parachute harness is drawing the smock/wings back distorting the the wings. Look close the wings and leaf are normal.
Not worth the headache.

Phil

Last edited by Phillip Herring; 04-02-12 at 01:08 AM. Reason: Should have known better.
Old 05-02-12, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Not worth the headache
Well said, Phil.