British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Airborne and Special Forces

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 31-03-13, 08:22 PM
Super Moderator

Coogan, In reference to the production of titles, the point I was making was that the 1 Cdn Para Bn starch backs were likely made at the same time as the other war time starch backs. With the personnel of the battalion returned to Canada there was no market for the titles. The titles that appeared in the 60's were likely NOS that could not be used and sat on a shelf. At some point they were likely sold off, or maybe thrown out (and rescued), or the company may have gone under. Many of these titles are what we see today. Recently Mike R had a "package" of mint RCOC iirc, and someone out east "discovered" a few bundles of Cape Breton Highlander starch backs that had been acquired by the unit by were superceded by Canadian made ones after the unit returned to Canada.
From the manufacture of the starch back pattern, it appears that it is a proprietary technique that was only used by one maker. I have an idea who made these but no supporting evidence. If it was the firm in mind, they did make titles for the Canadian army earlier in the war. After the late fall 1942, all overseas printed titles were made by only one firm, and that was Calico Printers. All authorized overseas Canadian army insignia, titles and formation patches were by order of the Senior Combatant Officer, Canadian Army to be printed. It took some time for the transition from embroidered / melton, and it was directed that old insignia be used up first, but by the summer of 1944 Canadian insignia was printed. This remained the official policy until the army returned over the fall and winter of 1945-46.
Old 31-03-13, 11:09 PM

Thanks Bill,

I do appreciate the feedback.

Cheers
Old 01-04-13, 10:32 AM

I'm sure from a British point of view these titles were used from mid war, the starch back being a wartime economy measure, and although printed became the norm these woven titles seem to have been preferred for best BD, but whether they were issued or the soldier bought them from the tailor I'm not sure, maybe a little of both. They do turn up, both mint and used, I have a tied bundle of 'QUEENS' and here is RCOC: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...E:B:SS:GB:1123

They don't appear to have been produced like this much after WW2, most of the post war titles seem to go back to the cheese cloth or similar backing material so I am fairly sure these are WW2 manufacture that have sat in stores, there were also recently bundles of British arm of service strips, on the roll with the makers tags, see here: http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ad.php?t=31085

Lee

www.khakicolonel.com
Old 01-04-13, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the observations Lee. I have enquired of several British cloth collectors about the starch back titles. But the responses have been theories without solid supporting evidence, and the theories are somewhat contradictory.
The case for the Canadian issue is based upon extensive research in the documentation at Library and Archives Canada and at Directorate of History and Heritage at National Defence Headquarters. The evidence to date indicates, as stated above, that the only authorized titles by 1943 were printed. Some exceptions due to supply problems are found, but the substitutions were not strach back. The titles acquired were melton (CMHQ had rejected felt patterns in 1941 as not being suitable), and were to be replaced by the printed pattern as soon as possible.
Old 09-05-13, 04:17 AM

Default some starchback examples

Old 23-08-14, 03:13 AM

deleted.
Old 19-02-15, 02:42 AM

Per Post #10 the 1 Canadian Parachute Battalion used printed titles (second type) on D-Day?
Old 19-02-15, 03:00 AM
Super Moderator

Yes, you are correct with that conclusion.
Old 19-02-15, 05:00 AM

Here is the ones I have. Cheers Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled-1.jpg (35.0 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg Untitled-2.jpg (41.5 KB, 70 views)
Old 21-02-15, 02:39 AM

Hi Brian,

I like your Pegasus flashes, they look nice. As for the 1st Can Para flashes, the very bottom one was produced in the UK during the war and 100% original. I don’t care for the other two above it.

That's my two cents, Cheers
Old 21-02-15, 03:17 AM

Yes the top two are starchback titles that were being talked about. They all came in one lot from a fellow so thought they may be good. Bill says they were issued post-war which may be the case here. Cheers Brian
Old 24-03-15, 01:22 AM

Good day Bill,

After reading through this thread, I went and checked the subject flash in my collection and lo-and-behold...it has the black fabric back. Is it worth holding on to as a filler until I can find a real one? Or, is it in my best interests to 'File 13' it?

Ian
The day the government succeeds in taking away our dress uniforms, badges and colours, and all the so called "non-functional" items; they will find themselves with an army that cannot defend them. Robert Heinlein, "Starship Troopers"
Old 24-03-15, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator

Hi Ian, Finding out one has a bad badge is disappointing. (You may wish to post an image for further opinions.) What one does with it is up to the owner. I have a small accumulation of bogus pieces that I use for reference and education. Keeping one as a filler / place holder is not a problem as long as it is clearly recorded that the item is bogus. The real issue is with the sale of such items being offered as original.
Old 24-03-15, 12:50 PM

Thanks Bill. It's disappointing to find out one has a duff piece. I have others in my collection that I know are not the real deal, but I have them there as fillers or 'curiosities'. In my defense, I picked up the subject flash years and years ago, before I even knew about this site. Oh well, it's true what they say...it's a bad day when you don't learn something new...even when you find out you weren't right! When I get a chance, I'll try to post pic of my flash, however it is very similiar to the one in the original post.

Anyway, to everyone, stay safe and have fun

Ian
The day the government succeeds in taking away our dress uniforms, badges and colours, and all the so called "non-functional" items; they will find themselves with an army that cannot defend them. Robert Heinlein, "Starship Troopers"
Old 24-03-15, 08:58 PM

Default 1 CAN PARA badges

Here's my 1 Can Para display. Besides the subject flash, in the first pic I know that the hat badges and the Pegasus flashes are repro/fake. The second & third pics show my example of the subject shoulder flash.

Ian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0039.jpg (108.1 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0125.jpg (37.8 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0126.jpg (38.7 KB, 34 views)