British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > Arab Nations

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 29-12-07, 12:25 PM

Default Omani Infantry

Happy New Year everyone

This picture is of badges of three (of eight) of the Sultan of Oman's infantry regiments. The cap badges were worn c 1977-1985. Prior to that there was only the generic Sultans emblem badge and they were replaced by a new general service badge worn by all.

Top row: cap/beret badges, WM two lugs; second row: collar badges, chrome metal one lug; third row: shoulder titles, chrome metal, two lugs.
Left to right: Jebel Regiment; Frontier Force; Southern Regiment. Southern Regiment was largely Baluchi and was always referred to as KJ because the obvious abbreviation of SR was already in use by the Signals Regiment. KJ stands for Kateeba Janoubeaa (Southern Regiment!)

Eddie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Oman Infantry2.jpg (30.9 KB, 138 views)
Old 11-12-08, 04:02 PM

Hello all, The enclosed scan is not my line so I may have them incorrectly labeled, any help here? Regards, DJ.
Old 11-12-08, 06:05 PM

That's the Abu Dhabi Defence Force cap and shoulder title.
Old 29-11-18, 03:16 PM

Just for clarity for anyone searching here 10 years later (like me), I think that is actually the Federal Regular Army (Aden) shoulder title. So a mismatched set. Searching here ironically, because I'm after an ADDF cap badge and FRA shoulder titles. Best regards, Mike
Old 29-11-18, 08:24 PM

Mike is correct that the shoulder title is Federal Regular Army (FRA). Attached is a photo of an ADDF shoulder title.

Currently there is a book about to be published by Helion in the Middle East @ War series, which should be out before Christmas, that is called The Military and Police Forces of the Gulf States: The Trucial States and United Arab Emirates 1951-1980. This is vol 1 of 3. While it is not a badge book, it does have quite a lot of headdress badges, collars, ranks, and titles shown. There is a history of each of the seven emirates military forces and the UAE up to 1980. Vol 2 is on Oman up to 2012 and will be available in the second half of 2019. The third is on Kuwait, Bahrain and Qatar up to 1980. All will have badges etc and photos shown.
Cliff Lord aka Quicksilver
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ADDF shoulder title.jpg (73.5 KB, 20 views)