British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-03-17, 11:49 PM

Default The Cheshire Regiment

Hi all, I picked up this selection of Cheshire Regiment badges at this past weekend's gun show. I'm not up on British badges so I'm hoping the British brothers can answer some questions I have.

1. What era are these badges?
2. The "star" badge has J&Co makers stamp in the back. Is this Jennings and Co?
I'll post pics of the reverse shortly.

Cheers,

Greg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170318_163751.jpg (101.4 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg 20170320_162621.jpg (92.4 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg 20170320_162556.jpg (91.9 KB, 53 views)

Last edited by GregN; 20-03-17 at 11:57 PM. Reason: adding photos
Old 21-03-17, 01:02 AM

Hi Greg, look here in makers mark section, see notes regarding dates of marks use.

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/mak...ks/jennens.htm

Cheers Tony.
Old 21-03-17, 05:46 AM

Thanks Tony, so the Jenings marked badge is earlier, possibly WW1 era and the unmarked badge is WW2? These both appear to be officers badges but I would like confirmation just to be sure.

The buttons are also marked JENINGS & CO LONDON. The collar is bi-metal but unmarked.

Greg
Old 21-03-17, 06:29 AM

Greg the unmarked cap badge is the 1898-1922 pattern according to Gaylor's book. However this pattern I think was for OR's. It is not the type of construction I have seen us on this badge before....
Cheers Tony.
Old 21-03-17, 12:40 PM

Greg,
If you look up the thread Cheshire Regt N.C.O.s cap badge you will find a similar badge as well as an LF one I had got from the same source.
Sorry I cannot seem to provide a link on my iPad
Paul
Old 21-03-17, 01:23 PM

its Jennens & Co, not Jennings or Jenings.

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 21-03-17, 02:31 PM

The badge with title scroll is indeed for colour sergeants and below circa 1898 to 1922 and was worn throughout WW1, also in all GM from 1916.
The other (J&Co) badge was known to soldiers as a 'staff badge' and worn by officers, warrant officers and battalion 'staff' sergeants (e.g. QMS, musketry, tailor, shoemaker, orderly room) from around 1905 (the issue of peaked, universal forage cap). The acorn badge, although collar insignia, was at first worn as the badge on the field service cap, by all ranks, although a bi-m version for superior ranks.

Last edited by Toby Purcell; 21-03-17 at 02:37 PM.
Old 22-03-17, 03:50 PM

Smile

The other (J&Co) badge was known to soldiers as a 'staff badge' and worn by officers, warrant officers and battalion 'staff' sergeants (e.g. QMS, musketry, tailor, shoemaker, orderly room) from around 1905 (the issue of peaked, universal forage cap).

Hello Toby, as I collect to the Cheshire Regiment I was a bit surprised to read the above statement about the 'staff badge', as I have never heard of that pattern badge being worn after December 1900, when the type with the scroll was issued. The pattern without the scroll was issued to all ranks in 1923. I have posted a photo from 1893, which shows three type of badges being worn, the officers badge, the glengarry and the acorn. If you have any information on the 'staff badge' being worn in 1905 I would love to read it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img314.jpg (102.1 KB, 21 views)
Old 22-03-17, 04:39 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercian View Post
The other (J&Co) badge was known to soldiers as a 'staff badge' and worn by officers, warrant officers and battalion 'staff' sergeants (e.g. QMS, musketry, tailor, shoemaker, orderly room) from around 1905 (the issue of peaked, universal forage cap).

Hello Toby, as I collect to the Cheshire Regiment I was a bit surprised to read the above statement about the 'staff badge', as I have never heard of that pattern badge being worn after December 1900, when the type with the scroll was issued. The pattern without the scroll was issued to all ranks in 1923. I have posted a photo from 1893, which shows three type of badges being worn, the officers badge, the glengarry and the acorn. If you have any information on the 'staff badge' being worn in 1905 I would love to read it.
Staff badges were a tradition for all infantry battalions between 1880 and 1902 on the round/staff (it was known formally by both terms) forage cap, although the badge itself was not publicly funded for the ORs concerned and had to be provîded under 'regimental arrangements' (clothing regulations refer) . Apart from size, the Cheshire regiment staff badge for that head dress was identical to that which you have posted, with its distinctive green enamel backing. When the cap was discontinued in 1902, it was replaced by the Brodrick for staff sergeants, whose cap was distinguished by a line of gold Russia braid tracing the edge of the turn up flap and clothing regulations again provided for the same badge as used by officers under regimental arrangements. The number of staff sergeants was, relative to the battalion's established strength, small and they are not always seen in regimental photos, e.g. the sergeant shoemaker, or hospital sergeant. In most regiments the sergeant major wore the new, officer's pattern, peaked forage cap, with staff badge from 1902. In 1905, the Brodrick was replaced by an ORs version of the peaked forage cap, with most regiments retaining a staff badge for its staff sergeants, especially of the first class, such as the quartermaster sergeant and orderly room sergeant. The number of badges thus worn was very small, but the staff sergeants generally valued the privilege and status marked by their wear. The badge with scroll was very likely worn on field service caps (replacing the collar badge), but the staff badge was a feature of the smarter, forage caps.

Last edited by Toby Purcell; 22-03-17 at 04:46 PM.
Old 22-03-17, 06:09 PM

Smile

Thanks Toby, nice to have a interesting discussion about the wearing of badges.
Old 22-03-17, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercian View Post
Thanks Toby, nice to have a interesting discussion about the wearing of badges.
Keep looking out for the photos, they do exist. Remember that a senior staff sergeant (battalion HQ) and a colour sergeant (company NCO) wore the exact same badge of rank in 'undress', but only a staff sergeant wore a staff cap badge. Until 1902, the staff cap stood out very clearly to make clear the differential, but not after it was discontinued.

Last edited by Toby Purcell; 23-03-17 at 09:18 AM.