British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Air Force (RCAF and CAF)

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 15-02-16, 03:33 AM

Default Frosted Gilt RCAF Other Ranks Hat Badge

Hi all, I picked this up while on business in Toronto. It's a frosted gilt ORs badge. The reverse is marked Scully Ltd. Montreal with typical Scully lugs. I assume this is for band use but thought I'd post an image and ask the experts.

Greg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RCAFa.jpg (116.9 KB, 46 views)
Old 15-02-16, 09:09 AM
Banned

No its just a standard Airman cap badge. Scully badges (including RAF, RAAF and RNZAF) were more usually issued to trainees on the British Commonwealth Air Training Plan but not exclusively.

Band badges are silvered or chrome.
Old 15-02-16, 04:38 PM

Thanks SAS, it's an odd badge. Non-Band makes sense as I have several sets of buttons for the RCAF band and they are all silver. I have several of the common badges but this one has such a deluxe frosted gilt finish to it. It is factory done, if not band, perhaps private purchase, full dress or some other ceremonial use?

Greg
Old 15-02-16, 04:43 PM

Looking through some other posts, and I thought perhaps the badge was for the Woman's division of the RCAF?

Greg
Old 16-02-16, 02:49 PM
Banned

No, as already mentioned it's just standard issue. Not sure if Scully made unmarked badges, but they produced RCAF, RAF, RNZAF and RAAF other ranks badges for trainees on the BCATP. All are maker marked and the first three all have the frosted finish. They are finer than badges produced by other makers but are pretty common and bog standard issue.

The RCAF Women's Division used the standard badge. If they or other Canadian trainees were issued Sully badges it was coincidence only. The Scully badges of all types were issued to BCATP trainees in the main if not exclusively. Numbers are in the high tens of thousands.
Old 16-02-16, 03:40 PM
Super Moderator

N.B. In correspondence with Scully's several years ago, I asked about the maker marks practices. They indicated that badges were marked but not all badges in a run were marked. The RAF, RNZAF and RAAF badges may have all been marked as they were being issued to non-Canadians.
Old 17-02-16, 01:52 AM
Banned

The Scully badges are quite distinct as they are finer than others.