British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Photographs of Canadian Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 16-09-15, 09:41 PM

Default LCol "Stoney" Richardson and others.

I found this photo, and I am trying to identify the other two officers. The Calgary Regiment officer is LCol "Stoney" Richardson, but I have no idea who the other two might be. I like the bullion badge on the Irish Regiment of Canada major.

Old 16-09-15, 10:50 PM

If, Clifford aka Pylon 1357 has a look at the photograph,I'm pretty sure he will recognise the Irish Regiment of Canada officer, as it is his field of expertise.....as for the othe officer being,I think, REME/RCEME....well good luck in finding his name if no other informations are available.

Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.

Last edited by Voltigeur; 16-09-15 at 10:56 PM.
Old 17-09-15, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltigeur View Post
If, Clifford aka Pylon 1357 has a look at the photograph,I'm pretty sure he will recognise the Irish Regiment of Canada officer, as it is his field of expertise.....as for the othe officer being,I think, REME/RCEME....well good luck in finding his name if no other informations are available.

Jo
Looks like a 1st Canadian Armoured Brigade flash on the sleeves...

Might be possible to search for MCs from the RCOC though, using Halliday's CD-ROM.
Old 18-09-15, 12:52 PM

Off the top of my head, I think the Irish Officer may be Bill Elder, but I am not certain. Leave it with me and I will look deeper into it. I note the officer has the MC so that narrows it down to only a few. I know he is not Rowland or Statton, and certainly not Southby. That leaves either Mitchell, Elder or Clawson.

Elder and Mitchell were both Majors, but Clawson was a Lt. Of course this photo is post war, so it could also be an Officer who transferred into the Regiment post war, in which case I have no idea who it would be. I also note the lack of a Defense Medal. That may help me narrow it down a bit as well.

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca

Last edited by Pylon1357; 18-09-15 at 01:07 PM.
Old 18-09-15, 02:10 PM

Hello Clifford....I'm not sure but, I think he has what looks like a Defence Medal before his CVSM, bottom row......and he doesn't have his War Medal yet.....

Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”

Old 18-09-15, 02:31 PM

RICHARDSON, Clinton Argue, Lieutenant-Colonel - Distinguished Service Order - Armour - awarded as per Canada Gazette dated 29 September 1945 and CARO/6097 of that date.

This officer has commanded 14 Canadian Armoured Regiment (The Calgary Regiment) since June 1944. During his term of command his regiment has been almost constantly in action, and has never failed to reach and hold its objectives. The unvarying success of the regiment has in a large measure been due to the magnificent leadership and example of Lieutenant-Colonel Richardson. Before every action he invariably conducted reconnaissance personally, both by day and by night, often under heavy and accurate mortar and shell fire. During the rapid pursuit of the enemy forces north of Lake Trasineno, Italy, between 1 and 4 July 1944, this officer moved with the most forward troops, and by his personal example and skilful direction enabled our pursuing forces to maintain contact, thus preventing the enemy from reorganizing and reestablishing a defensive line. Under heavy fire of all natures he personally directed his Reconnaissance Troop on 2 and 3 July 1944, seizing three bridges over the Chiana Canal before these could be blown by the enemy, thus enabling the momentum of the advance to be continued. During the pursuit to the Arno River, on many occasions, he personally reconnaissanced [sic.] routes of advance under mortar and shell fire enabling his tanks to cross country considered impassable for tanks, continuously surprising the enemy in this manner. Again during the fighting through the Gothic Line and the Apennines his personal reconnaissance, forward of the forward defended localities in heavily mined country, enabled his regiment to get forward in most difficult terrain and render support to the infantry of 8 Indian Division which resulted in the taking of many difficult features including San Bartolo Monte Carolino and Monte Budrialto. This officer's contempt of danger, personal fighting spirit, magnificent example and outstanding leadership have been an inspiration to his regiment and have directly contributed throughout the mixed and heavy fighting of the 1944 Italian campaign to successive defeats of the enemy.

RICHARDSON, Clinton Argue, Lieutenant-Colonel, DSO - Mention in Despatches - Armour - awarded as per Canada Gazette dated 9 March 1946 and CARO/6431 dated 8 March 1946.

From: Courage and Service; Second World War Awards to Canadians.
Clive Law, Service Publications.

Last edited by Voltigeur; 18-09-15 at 02:56 PM.
Old 22-09-15, 01:33 AM

Looks like it might be an official photograph taken in England judging from the pose and the license plates on the car. If it was taken on the day medals were awarded, perhaps cross referencing others who attended the same ceremony could yield results? Probably easier said then done but an idea just the same!