British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-03-19, 11:19 PM

Rob,

The Birmingham Mint purchased J R Gaunt in 1973 and shortly afterwards (45 years ago) they manufactured and marketed a set of 52 Line Infantry Regiment cap badges with commemorative silver medallions. The badges and medallions were described as a “Tribute to the 52 Time Honoured Regiments of the Line that have passed into legend” and were sold in a ‘Limited Edition’ of 3000 sets in monthly instalments to collectors.

It would seem possible that Gaunt dies were used in the production of many of the badges in the set. The only reason the badges have sliders was that the set was complemented by a military style wooden chest with two fitted drawers to hold the badges and medallions.
https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...hp?albumid=767

Tim
Old 05-03-19, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
It will be an Officers cap badge then Rob.
I have a silver and gilt ,a bronze and an anodised version.

Ive been on the hunt for QC Offrs collars in s/g and bz,seems you dont see many about. Ive seen images of the s/g pair,they appear to have a blue enamel backing to the castle.
Hi Mike
Your Bronze example, is it a bladed OSD cap badge and is it from the same die set as the collar shown in post one?

Rob
Old 05-03-19, 08:34 AM

Rob, My Q/c OSD with blades, Q/c slider (Birmingham Mint?) and Q/c slider Bi/m, all appear to be from the same die. Your collection of K/c badges in post 15 were worn by officers on the Blue's Dress uniform Collars, Mess Dress Collars and in the Coloured dress Side Cap as a Cap Badge. Tim.
Old 05-03-19, 08:58 AM

Thanks everyone for the replies, do the bladed or lugged QC OSD badges have a Gaunt mm on the reverse?

Rob
Old 05-03-19, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Miller View Post
Hi Mike
Your Bronze example, is it a bladed OSD cap badge and is it from the same die set as the collar shown in post one?

Rob
No Rob,its lugged. I had it from Colin (ukbrits) at Stoneleigh. Ill post an image later on.
Old 08-03-19, 05:16 PM

Sorry for my slowness posting these.
QC bronze and QC silver and gilt.
I dont have any collars to the Devons, yet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190308_171843-1.jpg (29.9 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 20190308_171859-1.jpg (25.1 KB, 19 views)
Old 08-03-19, 05:43 PM

Thanks Mike, does the OSD have long lugs?

Rob
Old 08-03-19, 08:29 PM

They arent as long as the silver and gilt .
Are you thinking it could be a collar ? Are the QC OSD collars the same size as the cap badge ?
Old 08-03-19, 10:23 PM

Hi Mike, according to Colin Churchill yes the QC OSD collar is the same size as the cap badge, I'm still confused as theoretically OSD was made obsolete in 1949? long before the change of Crown. And I don't know when long lugs took over from bendable blades for the Officers cap badge?? Were they were both for wear on the Officers peaked cap or did the fittings change for use on a beret or forage cap???.

Rob????
Old 09-03-19, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Miller View Post
Hi Mike, according to Colin Churchill yes the QC OSD collar is the same size as the cap badge, I'm still confused as theoretically OSD was made obsolete in 1949? long before the change of Crown. And I don't know when long lugs took over from bendable blades for the Officers cap badge?? Were they were both for wear on the Officers peaked cap or did the fittings change for use on a beret or forage cap???.

Rob????
I know what you mean Rob,they dont seem to be the most common badge. Plenty of KC around but not many QC.
On the finishing in 1949,there are examples of the Dorsetshire OSD with the "Dorset" scroll. Name changed was around 1952. These are bladed.
Ill have to keep my eyes open to see if i can find a bladed one or the collars in a small size. I did try and find the image of Churchills Devon lot that sold at C and T but couldnt. If anybody can find it,could they post the link please.
Old 29-03-19, 01:45 PM

I have now bought a Kings Crown Devon badge which I would value opinion on, I'm not sure if it an early ORs variant or an Officers cap badge?

It has two pins/rivets holding the two sections together like the QC in post one.

It has long lugs but a fraction less long.

The WM part left black marks on a piece of paper which may indicate silver plating.

And there seems to be traces of gilding around the edges.

All thoughts welcome.

Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ggt.jpg (54.1 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg ggr.jpg (35.5 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg gge.jpg (54.2 KB, 21 views)
Old 29-03-19, 01:49 PM

Rob,

It appears a BM version of an O/R's badge in my opinion.
The copper loops also suggest that.

regarsd

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 29-03-19, 06:31 PM

Thank you Simon

Rob
Old 01-04-19, 05:35 PM

It does appear to be the same as this one?

Rob

http://www.britishempiremilitaria.co...h=53718&phqu=2

Last edited by Rob Miller; 03-04-19 at 06:08 AM.
Old 03-04-19, 06:05 AM

I have been trying to understand the Infantry Officers section of K&K vol 2, it seems to say that the full dress uniform never returned after the end of the first war, but it mentions the forage cap, in the case of the Devonshire Regiment it doesn't show an illustration because its virtually the same as the other ranks version except its "gilt or gilding metal" on a "silver" star and castle, on a blue velvet ground.

I presume the coloured forage cap for Officers and other ranks introduced in the 1930s was private purchase, so the badges would vary in quality depending on where you bought them and how much you paid, and theoretically any rank could purchase a silver and gilt plated badge?

How big was the blue velvet ground, just a small piece behind the castle or large enough to show around the outer edges?

Would two lugs be correct for this piece of headgear, in which case many so called Edwardian badges could be for this purpose?

So I'm starting to think this is a forage cap badge and I'm wondering if any of my other bi metal badge variants could be as well?

Rob