British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Foreign Badges and Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-03-19, 05:18 AM

Default german Shoulder board, 10 year mystery.

I found this in 2007

I got it from a small town antique shop in Alberta that would source local stuff and sort out the rare crosses and medals for retail but had no idea about this stuff.

I didn’t either and it looked German so I got it for 5$.

Since then I’ve been between Alberta and Ontario asking friends in the community what this is. I’ve even told it’s post war reused parts, ss, Belgian ss, Wehrmacht dress and Fantasy.

The pips look the part but there’s no piping.

The origin, pips, in hand condition,ware and fact it’s been cut off seem convincing but I’m stumped.

Much appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BE1F6113-F008-4ED0-BCE2-9E1290A7074C.jpg (62.4 KB, 97 views)

Last edited by Gmac; 20-03-19 at 05:26 AM.
Old 20-03-19, 05:22 AM

Sorry, still not techy.

Here’s pics of the inside and bottom.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 86C6E7FB-82AD-49A2-A76A-77347C353121.jpg (31.4 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg CA2F9402-3FF6-454C-8F72-856A81E61603.jpg (26.5 KB, 46 views)
Old 20-03-19, 05:48 AM

Looks cWWII to me. As it's a sew in shoulder board of a bright silver braid rather than a detachable dull silver it's a dress shoulder strap for a lieutenant of engineers or for an air force lieutenant of whichever branch wore black, I can't remember which branch that was although I think black may have been worn by different branches at different times.
There's no piping as the black arm of service colour forms the backing, other ranks straps would have black piping around the edge.
Waffen SS would have black backing but also a secondary backing colour of arm of service colour.
Old 20-03-19, 10:29 PM

I agree with Leigh - engineers officer dress uniform, but the rank is of a Hauptmann (Captain).
Old 21-03-19, 04:30 AM

Oops, I slipped into British rank insignia mode (well, I was posting at 5:48 in the morning and pre coffee).
The somewhat frayed end of the board doesn't necessarily indicate that it's cut off a tunic, it may have been unpicked from one or never worn, they were manufactured looking raw edged.

Last edited by leigh kitchen; 21-03-19 at 04:36 AM.
Old 03-04-19, 06:30 PM

Could be East German... but the pips are the wrong colour - at the moment. Do they clean to a sort of gold colour?
Old 03-04-19, 06:35 PM

You can find pics easily on Google images
Old 03-04-19, 06:43 PM

The pips look to be "gold" coated zinc, the colouring rubs and wears and also the zinc absorbs it.
I stand to be corrected, but the wartime German pips had flat prong fittings, the post war round wire ones.
Old 03-04-19, 07:29 PM

Oh yes I suppose you are right
Old 04-04-19, 09:38 AM

A few Pionier insignia that I have, officer's shoulder boards similar to the one being queried and some NCO's ones showing the black trim to the strap as opposed to the officer's black backing (the board bottom right is the detachable pattern used on the officer's white, summer tunic.
The third image is of an oberleutnant's shoulder board for field wear, it has matt braid and a tongue fitted underneath so that it can be fastened through loops on shoulder of the tunic
The pip is of grey zinc, I don't have the board to hand to check whether it's an NCO's grey one or an officer's gold one that has faded.
I have no idea why it has the medical symbol fitted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg post-2272-1176570797~2.jpg (25.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg post-2272-1176570797.jpg (115.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg post-2272-127382789963.jpg (49.4 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by leigh kitchen; 04-04-19 at 09:48 AM.
Old 04-04-19, 03:27 PM

The board in question is indeed for Pioniere ( Engineers ) and is in bright tress of the sew in variety, normally used for dress tunics but sometimes seen on field service tunics. It could be either Heer (Army) or Luftwaffe, the Luftwaffe usually wore bright tress on their service tunics, whereas Heer was usually subdued.
The pips are the silvered zinc NCO type, the silver wash usually disappears after time, which were often seen in use by officers later in the war due to availability problems. The normal and proper pips for officers were gilt brass or Tombak.
The medical insignia on Leigh's board is not correct, afraid to say.

CB
Old 04-04-19, 03:44 PM

And were there not glass pips? I think I have a shoulder board or two with those.
The black piped "medical board" is indeed a wrong'un, I have no idea why it is so, I have a few more with different arm of service colours and with Other Ranks metal numerals affixed - presumably some collectors years ago added the devices just to prettify them and make them look a bi more interesting.
Old 04-04-19, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh kitchen View Post
And were there not glass pips? I think I have a shoulder board or two with those.
The black piped "medical board" is indeed a wrong'un, I have no idea why it is so, I have a few more with different arm of service colours and with Other Ranks metal numerals affixed - presumably some collectors years ago added the devices just to prettify them and make them look a bi more interesting.
That is the problem with so much of this stuff. One often cannot be sure just when bits and pieces of insignia were added.
NCO metal numerals etc., were however often used on officers boards. There just is no rule when it comes to these things as the Germans used what they had in a tough wartime situation.

CB
Old 04-04-19, 04:49 PM

Just thought I would add to the thread.
Marc

Last edited by 54Bty; 09-02-22 at 05:33 PM.
Old 04-04-19, 06:06 PM

Colourful insignia, and not a swastika in sight.
Naval artillery? Fire police, the third is railways? The devices changed part way through the war, that device was also used by postal?, Customs and infantry summer uniform.
My "collection" of WWII German insignia is just as colourful and eclectic as that little display, odds and ends picked up here and there.