British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 31-07-21, 01:13 AM

Default Glamorgan Imperial Yeomanry slouch hat flash post Boer War

Have any of you Welsh collectors or anyone else for that matter ever seen the slouch hat flash worn by the Glamorgan Imperial Yeomanry on the turned-up side of the slouch hat. I have only ever seen one photo showing the flash reasonably clearly. It consisted of a number of dark and white vertical stripes, the broadest central stripe being white and centred by a presumably green leek. Certain authors have guessed at the colours but this is pure speculation. Can anyone tell me if they have an actual example and if so please can they post an image, I would be eternally grateful, thanks in anticipation, failing that if anyone has conclusive evidence of the colours that would be great. On the internet there is a book or regimental diary of WWI era showing stripes in white, brown, yellow and red but this is considerably later and does not agree with the flash. The uniform was dark blue with white facings and a drab or khaki uniform with white braid was worn as embellished service dress but none of this really helps, I need to see an actual example
Old 31-07-21, 11:15 AM

I don’t have a physical example of the slouch hat badge but do have a number of photos and plenty of historical regimental research. I’ll post some info when I get back home next week.
Old 31-07-21, 02:37 PM

Default Glamorgan imperial yeomanry slouch hat badge

Much appreciated, that would be wonderful
Old 10-08-21, 01:02 PM

This is the clearest photo I have. The research I have dates from as far back as the 60s and states that the colour of the patch worn on the turned up brim of the slouch hat was white with green stripes to the centre, left and right hand sides.
The same research states that a green embroidered leek was worn by officers on a patch of regimental ribbon, but the leek worn on the other ranks' slouch hats looks to be metal and similar to the pattern of leek later worn as collars by the Officers from 1908 on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Slouch Hat- Other Ranks.jpg (57.9 KB, 85 views)
Old 10-08-21, 11:29 PM

Default Glamorgan Yeomanry slouch hat flash

Hello, thank you very much for taking the time to reply to my query. Green and white seems plausible, could I, out of curiosity, ask the source of your details of colours for the flash? Funnily enough the picture you have posted I know well, it belonged to my old and much missed friend Ron Harris who provided me with a copy of very same photo. Cheers, Michael
Old 11-08-21, 12:13 AM

Default Glamorgan IY field service cap

While still on this regiment I took a peek at your Glamorgan IY album, I don’t wish to be controversial but re the officer’s field service cap, does that bronze cap badge really belong to the cap, it looks like a marriage to me, Hawkes pattern book says it should be silver bullion on blue backing for the officer’s side cap.
What do you think?
Old 02-12-23, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael1 View Post
Have any of you Welsh collectors or anyone else for that matter ever seen the slouch hat flash worn by the Glamorgan Imperial Yeomanry on the turned-up side of the slouch hat. I have only ever seen one photo showing the flash reasonably clearly. It consisted of a number of dark and white vertical stripes, the broadest central stripe being white and centred by a presumably green leek. Certain authors have guessed at the colours but this is pure speculation. Can anyone tell me if they have an actual example and if so please can they post an image, I would be eternally grateful, thanks in anticipation, failing that if anyone has conclusive evidence of the colours that would be great. On the internet there is a book or regimental diary of WWI era showing stripes in white, brown, yellow and red but this is considerably later and does not agree with the flash. The uniform was dark blue with white facings and a drab or khaki uniform with white braid was worn as embellished service dress but none of this really helps, I need to see an actual example
hopefully this is what you wanted to see
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4 GIY pcs at camp at margam f hat leeks close up.jpg (29.2 KB, 66 views)

Jerry
Old 10-12-23, 08:29 PM

Default Glamorgan Yeomanry hat flash

Nice find, thanks for sharing
Old 11-12-23, 11:08 PM

Thanks Michael, always glad to share. the full set is in the photo section below

Jerry
Old 12-12-23, 08:49 AM

One thing of interest is that on the three hat's each one looks to have a different flash.

Ta

Jonathan
Old 12-12-23, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BROOKIES View Post
One thing of interest is that on the three hat's each one looks to have a different flash.

Ta

Jonathan
Indeed Jonathon, that does seem to be the case, though they all have 3 colours, some variation in width and perhaps fading but if only we had this in colour
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wm GIY at camp p2 crop 2.jpg (56.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg awm GIY at camp p2 crop v2.jpg (50.4 KB, 12 views)

Jerry

Tags
glamorgan yeomanry, slouch hat flash