British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 27-06-18, 07:56 AM

Default UVF North Down

Hello Forum,

I've recently acquired some badges collected during WW1, and amongst them is this badge which I'm not at all familiar with.

An oval badge, which has a 4 prong fastening type. Unfortunately the bottom prong has been lost to time.
At a guess, I'd say it's possibly Irish - going by the North Down wording.

Anyway, any information on what it is will be greatly appreciated
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0597.jpg (45.4 KB, 109 views)
Old 27-06-18, 08:13 AM
MarkGD

Not an expert in these things, UVF is Ulster Volunteer Force, an unregulated Paramilitary Organisation, 2nd Battalion, North Down (as in the County) looks quite old, a nice item. Regards Mark
Old 27-06-18, 02:07 PM

There is some interesting information here: http://quincey.info/?cat=17 A further search of that same site shows a 3rd South Down badge of almost identical construction dated around 1913 - might be worth dropping them an email?
Old 27-06-18, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwk View Post
Hello Forum,

I've recently acquired some badges collected during WW1, and amongst them is this badge which I'm not at all familiar with.

An oval badge, which has a 4 prong fastening type. Unfortunately the bottom prong has been lost to time.
At a guess, I'd say it's possibly Irish - going by the North Down wording.

Anyway, any information on what it is will be greatly appreciated
This I think is a militia badge from the volunteers for WW1. The modern UVF adopted the name, but the original name came from a number of militia around The Province of Ulster that is made up of 9 counties. The one you are displaying is from County Down as is the one referred to below.

Regards
Ian
Old 27-06-18, 10:48 PM

This was the cap badge of one of the Co Down Btns of the UVF. This was formed around 1913 to prevent the Home Rule Bill being forced upon the people of Northern Ireland against their will. It was considered as Sir Edward Carson's private army. With the outbreak of WW1 many members joined the British Army and became the backbone of the 36th Ulster Division. The UVF badges badges were worn until replaced by regimental cap badges. These badges were stamped out of light weight metal and very few of the surviving ones have their original fixings as they broke off when removed from the cap for cleaning etc.. This UVF was never an illegal organisation unlike others who later used their name.
Eddie
Old 29-06-18, 01:39 AM

Thank you for the replies.

Ebro, it is made out of thinly stamped metal. This badge was on a belt with other WW1 era badges, mainly English. Unfortunately the belt itself had rotted in half, so I'm slowly removing the rest of the badges.

Once again, thanks for the replies
Old 29-06-18, 03:06 PM

These badges, along with the uniforms of the UVF, were paid for from public fund raising. When Carson handed over 'his' UVF to the British Army they came fully equipped and partially trained. The fixings on these badges were not really fit for purpose while other battalions had stronger badges with loops for fixing.
Eddie