British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 14-02-15, 08:21 PM

Default Early (Pre WW1) Infantry Badge Belt

This arrived in the post today a risky ebay purchase which payed off. All badges are lugged and the patina is very much the real thing. Some volunteer collars amongst the cap badges

regards

Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BADBEL1.jpg (55.6 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg BADBEL2.jpg (109.0 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg BADBEL3.jpg (79.3 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg BADBEL4.jpg (75.6 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg BADBEL5.jpg (74.3 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg BADBEL6.jpg (77.9 KB, 90 views)
Old 14-02-15, 08:54 PM

I've always liked these souvenir badge belts (hate the term "hate belts"), they often seem to get stripped down & badges sold separately nowadays.
Old 14-02-15, 08:54 PM

Very nice Mark, I was watching that to see what it went for.

Is the belt a 1914 pattern belt?

Ivan
Old 14-02-15, 08:56 PM

Very nice, Mark. Congratulations. Belt and badges possibly circa Boer War period.
Cheers, Tinto
Old 14-02-15, 09:15 PM

Are you going to leave it as found or are these all soon to be placed in your collection?

QUOTE=mark holden;299130]This arrived in the post today a risky ebay purchase which payed off. All badges are lugged and the patina is very much the real thing. Some volunteer collars amongst the cap badges

regards

Mark[/QUOTE]
Old 14-02-15, 09:30 PM

Hi Mark,

Well done, a lovely find and unlike most of these this one screams untouched and original. Not the same patina and tone on all the pieces.

Cracking find..and lovely to see, thanks for sharing.

Cheers, Roy.

Despatch Rider Insignia & Photographs.

Author/Dealer in the Fairbairn Sykes Fighting Knife
My website: www.fsknife.com
Old 14-02-15, 10:25 PM

Frank I'll leave as is all part of the history. regards Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
Are you going to leave it as found or are these all soon to be placed in your collection?

QUOTE=mark holden;299130]This arrived in the post today a risky ebay purchase which payed off. All badges are lugged and the patina is very much the real thing. Some volunteer collars amongst the cap badges

regards

Mark
[/QUOTE]
Old 15-02-15, 10:44 AM

Well, that is certainly what I would have done too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark holden View Post
Frank I'll leave as is all part of the history. regards Mark

[/QUOTE]
Old 15-02-15, 12:03 PM

Yep.
Old 15-02-15, 09:21 PM

Default Souvenir Belt & Leicesters’ badge

Hi Mark

Congratulations indeed, a very handsome belt and badges. As Tinto says possibly Boer War, but certainly Victorian/Edwardian if they have loops/lugs, and I can at least tell you that the Leicesters badge is the Firmin & Sons’ maker’s type. Given my interested in Leicestershire cap badges, I wondered if you’d be good enough to perhaps tell me if this particular badge has any braze holes please? I’d also be glad to know the approximate distance between the two loops/lugs, if you didn’t mind?

Regards

Martin

“Scutelliphiliacus in vestri insignia pergaudete”
Old 15-02-15, 10:40 PM

Hi Martin,

no braze holes and about 2.2cm between the lugs.

regards

Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Ticker' Riley View Post
Hi Mark

Congratulations indeed, a very handsome belt and badges. As Tinto says possibly Boer War, but certainly Victorian/Edwardian if they have loops/lugs, and I can at least tell you that the Leicesters badge is the Firmin & Sons’ maker’s type. Given my interested in Leicestershire cap badges, I wondered if you’d be good enough to perhaps tell me if this particular badge has any braze holes please? I’d also be glad to know the approximate distance between the two loops/lugs, if you didn’t mind?

Regards

Martin
Old 16-02-15, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark holden View Post

no braze holes

regards

Mark
Mark,

Thank you for this.

Interesting, given the perceived wisdom is that BiM badges of this period without braze holes are regarded as fakes. I wonder how many genuine BiM badges of this period, especially TA, have been consigned to the dud box, simply because of a lack of braze holes.

It raises the question of when BiM badges began being manufactured without braze holes.

regards
Chris

Last edited by Chrisr; 16-02-15 at 10:40 AM.
Old 16-02-15, 09:13 AM

One thing I will say, I NEVER consign any badge to the bin, they are documented as to why and kept for future reference, and in some cases resurrection.

Wanted Poppy Pins
Old 16-02-15, 08:21 PM

Default Braze holes & Leicesters badges

Hello Mark

Many thanks for the reply, and for taking time to look at the badge; which I really appreciate. I have a few of these Firmin Leicesters badges now, and have been studying them to try and work out a possible rough chronology. It is my current belief that the earliest of these Firmin maker’s type were produced without braze holes, but that their use was introduced shortly afterwards. The fact that your Leicesters does not have them helps towards confirming my thoughts on this, and that it has a good chance, therefore, of having been worn during the Boer War. I did actually make a posting about this particular maker’s variant back in 2010 here, when I was beginning to formulate my views on them but at which time I was yet to identify them as the Firmin type.

Anyway, on the use of braze holes, I would personally say that the general rule that badges without braze holes are more recent in date than those that do have them is still correct; especially where restrikes and repros are concerned. However it would seem that this axiom is not as clear cut as might be thought, and that things can vary according to manufacturer. I have a feeling that some makers continued to use braze holes over a long period, whilst others used them for a time then stopped doing so, and yet others never used them. Unfortunately I am not able to make any authoritative pronouncement on the use of braze holes, but certainly where the Firmin made Leicestershire Regiments badges are concerned it would appear to be the case that their very earliest ones did not have them.

Best regards

Martin

“Scutelliphiliacus in vestri insignia pergaudete”

Last edited by 'Ticker' Riley; 17-02-15 at 09:51 AM.

Tags
leicestershire, leicestershire regiment