British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 03-07-18, 04:28 PM

Default On this day 100 years ago

Visited the grave of my great uncle today 100 years after he died of wounds on 3 July 1918.
Serjeant Will Lowe 1/7 King's Liverpool Regiment, Pernes Cemetery, Pas de Calais.
Many of the graves here are of men who died in 1918 and it was moving to see from the visitor's book how many visitors had marked that century since the passing of their relative.

Tim

See also https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...hp?albumid=340
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (51.1 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg Will Lowe c1914.jpg (25.4 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 7th King's Sjt Will Lowe x - Copy.jpg (67.5 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by grey_green_acorn; 05-07-18 at 09:15 AM.
Old 03-07-18, 07:10 PM

I think it is a nice thing to actually do, for so many decades, a great many family members would simply have never actually touched those stones, but, over the last twenty years or so, things do seem to have changed for the better, it is good to see Sergeant Lowe and his many contemporaries being remembered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_green_acorn View Post
Visited the grave of my great uncle today 100 years after he died of wounds on 3 July 1918.
Serjeant Will Lowe 1/7 King's Liverpool Regiment, Pernes Cemetery, Pas de Calais.
Many of the graves here are of men who died in 1918 and it was moving to see from the visitor's book how many visitors had marked that century since the passing of their relative.

Tim

See also https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...hp?albumid=340

Last edited by Frank Kelley; 03-07-18 at 07:24 PM.
Old 03-07-18, 08:16 PM

It sends shivers down your spine when you see how closely those headstones are placed and even more so when you see how many cemeteries there are.
One of my uncles was killed on 1st July 1916 serving with the 9th Royal Irish Fusiliers. He does not have a gravestone but is remembered on the THIEPVAL MEMORIAL.
Old 03-07-18, 08:58 PM

Some years ago I visited Bayeux War Cemetary with my parents. My father walked straight through the middle of the cemetery and there at the far end where he stopped were the graves of a number of Welsh Guardsmen, including one of his Platoon Commanders and a Platoon Runner, my father's best friend in the battalion who'd taken on the job after previous runners had been killed and against the advice of his mates.
Also in the cemetery were two of the men of his training squad who were killed in Normandy.
I left photographs of them and CWGC certificates sealed in plastic sleeves on their graves adding faces to names until the next tidy up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg post-2272-1238589276.jpg (81.8 KB, 54 views)

Last edited by leigh kitchen; 04-07-18 at 11:00 AM.
Old 04-07-18, 05:12 AM

Very moving accounts - and actions.

Take these men as your example, like them remember that posterity can only be for the free: that freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it." Pericles, 431 BC
Old 04-07-18, 07:27 AM
Member 2010-21- Rest in Peace

Thumbs up

G'day Tim

A great gesture on your part. Very well done.

Lest We Forget

Regards Phil.
Old 04-07-18, 06:58 PM

Thank you for your posts. We also visited the Thiepval Memorial to the missing in remembrance of my wife's great uncle Rifleman Sammy Wilson 13th Bn Royal Irish Rifles who died on the 1st of July 1916 in the attack on the Schwaben redoubt by the 36th Ulster Division. His Brother in Law to be (my wife's Grandfather) was in the same Platoon but survived.

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (39.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Samuel Wilson.JPG (13.5 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by grey_green_acorn; 05-07-18 at 09:10 AM.
Old 05-07-18, 06:50 AM

It's a pity that there isn't the facility to store online or otherwise images and details of those interred or commemorated at CWGC cemeteries.
Visiting cemeteries in France and Belgium I've been moved by the sight of Jewish friends placing pebbles on top of the gravestones of Jewish servicemen they didn't know but have just come across and by finding in quiet cemeteries such headstones with two or three pebbles on top.
On a visit to the Thiepval Memorial I found this Essex Regiment man's name.

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ad.php?t=62326

A Somme fatality, one of his son's died as a POW in Japan during WWII.
It seems so strange that men leading a simple life in fenland villages and hamlets should end up leaving their homes and go abroad to die.
Apologies for steering this thread off course.
Old 05-07-18, 08:06 AM

One of the saddest things for me is how, with no one left to remember them, their photographs and documents are either thrown away or turn up at car boot sales.

This is a recent find, now saved from the dustbin of history. I strongly feel that we have a duty to ensure that these small reminders of a life given for our freedom survive so that future generations will not forget our common history.

Lance Corporal JERMY, ALBERT WALTER. Service Number 16527. Died 01/07/1916. 18th Bn. The King's (Liverpool Regiment).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jarmy.jpg (36.9 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg Jarmy reverse.jpg (68.4 KB, 16 views)
Old 05-07-18, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wood View Post
One of the saddest things for me is how, with no one left to remember them, their photographs and documents are either thrown away or turn up at car boot sales.

This is a recent find, now saved from the dustbin of history. I strongly feel that we have a duty to ensure that these small reminders of a life given for our freedom survive so that future generations will not forget our common history.

Lance Corporal JERMY, ALBERT WALTER. Service Number 16527. Died 01/07/1916. 18th Bn. The King's (Liverpool Regiment).

Yes indeed, we do.
Old 05-07-18, 07:06 PM

A superb photograph!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh kitchen View Post
Some years ago I visited Bayeux War Cemetary with my parents. My father walked straight through the middle of the cemetery and there at the far end where he stopped were the graves of a number of Welsh Guardsmen, including one of his Platoon Commanders and a Platoon Runner, my father's best friend in the battalion who'd taken on the job after previous runners had been killed and against the advice of his mates.
Also in the cemetery were two of the men of his training squad who were killed in Normandy.
I left photographs of them and CWGC certificates sealed in plastic sleeves on their graves adding faces to names until the next tidy up.
Old 12-07-18, 07:42 PM

18th April this year visited my wifes grandfathers grave in France where her brother piped at the grave 100 years to the day.Some of the photos we took it was all very moving, our whole week was taken up visiting,Somme Arras and Ypres.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jim at grave.jpg (70.8 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg grave.jpg (91.3 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg robert reid1.jpg (30.4 KB, 15 views)
Old 13-07-18, 08:39 AM

Location: A Yorkshireman in exile 'Up North' and an ‘Honorary Smoggie’.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh kitchen View Post
It's a pity that there isn't the facility to store online or otherwise images and details of those interred or commemorated at CWGC cemeteries.
Visiting cemeteries in France and Belgium I've been moved by the sight of Jewish friends placing pebbles on top of the gravestones of Jewish servicemen they didn't know but have just come across and by finding in quiet cemeteries such headstones with two or three pebbles on top.
On a visit to the Thiepval Memorial I found this Essex Regiment man's name.

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ad.php?t=62326

A Somme fatality, one of his son's died as a POW in Japan during WWII.
It seems so strange that men leading a simple life in fenland villages and hamlets should end up leaving their homes and go abroad to die.
Apologies for steering this thread off course.
I know that this only applies to the 'Missing of the Somme' who are named on the Thiepval memorial, but they are building a database of details for as many names as possible if anyone has a relative who is named on the memorial and wants to 'save their Story for future generations' then they can do so. See the following link.
http://www.greatwar.co.uk/organizati...se-project.htm

Last edited by Charliedog012012; 13-07-18 at 08:44 AM.
Old 13-07-18, 08:58 AM

Thanks for that - I'll be adding images etc for a few men who's photos I have.
Old 13-07-18, 09:52 PM

It was 100 years ago but every village town and city with the memorials bears witness to what the ordinary Briton and commonwealth man did for his country I personally hope they are never forgotten.