British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Sweetheart, Veteran and other Lapel Badges.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 24-09-08, 01:23 PM
Badge Guru

Below would be the three possible criteria in which you could search for your badge:

1. Badge number
2. Reference codes (page number etc) as used by medal index cards
3. Name and Regiment

If I remember correctly the pages are not in alphabetical order by surname, so it would be advisable to search by the roll entry as found on the medals index card. The again that presents the problem of badge issues to those men who did not serve overseas.

If I would to catalogue the photographs of the pages I would first sort by regiment (folder) then give each page a file name which starts with the first badge number on the page and the last. I cannot remember seeing two different units on the same page.
Old 24-09-08, 01:31 PM
Badge Guru

This is a badge forum and the SWB is obviously a badge. Perhaps this is a project we could do at some point.

Well volunteered uknown soldier Your going to have to make sure you back up every page people email to you. It might also be worth you time to join the GW forum and get people to send your pages in response to an advert there.
Old 24-09-08, 02:41 PM

sign me up as well..
Old 24-09-08, 02:52 PM

Well I've got some free time, and a few pages, if a few of us get together this could go down quite well.

Tom
Old 24-09-08, 07:49 PM

Dont understand the technology at all but, if what I think is being suggested is legal, I would be more than happy to use the Forum for SWB look ups and make a donation to the costs of the Forum instead of using the researcher I currently use.

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 28-09-08, 12:14 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknownsoldier View Post
Ahhhh, so it no longer works that the intellectual property is copyrighted then, just the format the info is in? I'm just asking as I have some SWB pages, as I'm sure others do, perhaps we could start a db???

Tom

It's the the NA photograpic image that is copyright, not the info contained within. A NA Medal index card photograph is copyright. If you type out the info contained within then that's fine.
At the end of the day you cannot copyright a fact, if 12345 Pte. Tommy Atkins received a SWB for gunshot wounds then thats that. The National Archives cannot copyright it.

I'm not happy bunny with the way the National archives have hijacked our history, but I'll save that rant for another day.
Old 28-09-08, 04:32 PM
Badge Guru

Sounds like a good rant. You have to remember Mike, in the UK no one does anything these days unless they are going to get a shilling out of it.

In regards the SWB pages....I would say "too slow" to the NA. If people want to collect copy pages and share them there's nothing illegal about that. Its no more illegal than a medal researcher selling copy research he finds for collectors. In theory he is selling straight copies not transcriptions. That operation has been going on for years.

Last edited by Jibba Jabba; 28-09-08 at 04:38 PM.
Old 10-03-09, 07:59 AM

Go to the Great War Forum web site there will be some one there who will probally help you .

Dan
Old 25-01-10, 05:03 AM

Smile

A set of CD records is currently being issued with the project of covering every badge by number with details held on recipient.First one has been issued which covers Silver War badges to Officers.Not sure how it links into National Archives but the best way is for a group of collectors to gradually purchase each one and then swop the info as require ? Bob
Old 30-01-10, 01:45 PM
Badge Guru

I have seen the two volumes available. They are priced at 20 pounds each and can be purchased direct from the man who compiled the information on ebay (p.s. I dont know him, this isn't blatant advertising!). The second volume covers the Nursing services and Flying Corps. Everyone speaks very highly of these books......the next release will be the Guards, then cavalry, followed by Tanks and MGC.

I had really hoped for a searchable CD like Soldiers Died......but I guess you cannot have everything!