British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Artillery, Royal Engineers and Royal Signals.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 16-06-20, 07:06 AM

Default 289 Parachute Battery Royal Horse Artillery (V) - location

Can any of our Arty experts tell me please the location of this unit when it was reduced to an independent Bty in 1967 under the TAVR review.

Previously as a Regiment it had locations at Stratford, Blackheath, Plumstead and Grays.

I'm trying to establish if there was still any connection with Grays from this point but have not been able to find this from the wonderful interweb.

Many thanks

EY
Old 16-06-20, 07:10 AM

289 battery was located at the Drill Hall, Vicarage Lane, East Ham, London E6. Later it converted from para to commando.

Keith
Old 16-06-20, 09:00 AM

Awesome, thank you very much Keith. Endex for the Essex connection at that point then!

Thanks again.

Michael
Old 16-06-20, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expat Yeoman View Post
Awesome, thank you very much Keith. Endex for the Essex connection at that point then!

Thanks again.

Michael
I briefly served in 289 Bty. They used to do recruitment drives during the Town Show in Central Park, East Ham (near to where I lived). They would erect a high scaffolding for a simulated parachute drop which was the highlight, for me, of the Town Show.

When I joined (mid-late 70s) the unit was in transition from para to commando so instead of doing the jumps, that I wanted to do, we spent our time cross country running in preparation for the commando qualification course.
Needless to say I regret that didn't stay long as new girlfriend was becoming something of a distraction...

Keith
Old 17-06-20, 02:14 AM

Default Re. 289 Bty.

Michael, (Expat Yeoman) As per “Popskipper”, I too served at Vicarage Lane East Ham. But I’m sure when I was there it was “P” Bty. Of 300 Regt. RA (TA) That was 1962-1965 and at that time , East Ham was in ESSEX. On 1-4-1965, East Ham officially became the London Borough of NEWHAM. All the Best, David J.
Old 17-06-20, 05:05 AM

Thanks both. So if I've got that right then, as a regiment there are Essex connections with the East Ham and Grays Btys, from 1965 Grays only, and from 67 no remaining Essex connection.

Complicated stuff (to me as an ex-infanteer and signaller!!)

Michael
Old 17-06-20, 09:34 AM

An extract from the May 1979 edition of the "Gunner" magazine of the Royal Artillery, and also some recruiting literature for the Commando Gunners...

Keith
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8778.jpg (50.4 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8779.jpg (72.4 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8780.jpg (49.5 KB, 21 views)
Old 17-06-20, 10:05 AM

Thanks button.
Old 17-06-20, 03:14 PM

I served in 289 immediately before it was reduced to a Bty at East Ham, 1963-67. Throughout that time the btys were as follows:-
P Bty. Chingford, derived from the Essex Arty Vols
Q Bty. Blackheath, derived from the Kent, and London Arty Vols
R Bty. Dulwich. derived from the Kent, and London Arty Vols
S Bty. Willesden. derived. from 880 Fwd Obs Bty (AB) RA (TA)
Litchfield’s books on the Vol Arty (with Westlake), and Territorial Arty give the pedigree from formation to formation of TAVR and a bit beyond.
RHQ was co-located with R Bty at Lordship Lane, Dulwich

In 1965 LBdr Brian Spillett of P Bty was awarded the George Cross (Posthumous) for his action in a fire.
Old 18-06-20, 04:19 AM

Thank you very much for that info. I own and have been using both of the books you refer too, alas while they give the unit titles they don't always give the Battery numbers and locations so that was a great help.

To Artynut's comment, can anyone advise the Batteries and the locations for 300th LAA Regiment. My reading from Litchfield was that there were no Essex locations for the regiment from formation in 1961 but the wording is open to interpretation.

EY