British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Schools, OTC and Cadets

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 28-02-09, 08:55 PM

Default Bancrofts School anodised badges

So far I have searched in vain for an anodised Bancrofts School badge. My presumption for its existance is Peter Taylor's book. I tried to look for Chris Marsh's photos but have lost the link somehow.
The only Bancrofts I have found have been a poor GM version and what I thought was a nasty cast shiny metal re-strike specimen. I say 'thought' because I have recently seen Keith Rawlings 2001 publication on OTC, CCF, ACF items. In it he mentions a 'cast anodised alluminium'. Could this be the same as my nasty badge?
This leads me on to wonder about the Perse School and Merchant Taylor's School anodised badges listed by Peter. I have specimens of these also in this nasty material but have never seen a proper anodised version. Badges for other OTC also exist in this material, such as Leys School and Stamford School.
Two questions for the Forum membership:
1) Do true anodised specimens exist in your collections? If they do please may I have a scan of them.
2) What is the origin of the shiny badges aforementioned? Are they 'restrikes' or have CCF units had a source of supply unused by the MoD?

Attached are scans of the front and rear of my two Bancrofts badges, together with a proper anodised badge for comparison. I apologie for the quality in advance, but my flatbed scanner isn't great.
Regards, Stephen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bancrofts aa front.jpg (36.2 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg Bancrofts aa reverse.jpg (14.9 KB, 49 views)
Old 28-02-09, 09:20 PM

Theres genuine Merchant Taylors in the OTC album.
Bancrofts and Perse,ive never come across.The badges appear to be a polished brass type material that is lacquered to seal the colour and shine.
Old 28-02-09, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
Theres genuine Merchant Taylors in the OTC album.
Bancrofts and Perse,ive never come across.The badges appear to be a polished brass type material that is lacquered to seal the colour and shine.

I have a rough Merchant Taylors and info on Bancroft for you but nothing on Perse.

Will post photos etc. later as have to go SHOPPING with two teenage daughters and wife.

To go on with - OPEN cast badges have a rough reverse to the badges that look like little craters especially when viewed via a magnifying glass. These will be cheap FAKES and caused by small bubbles raising to the top (reverse) of the badge while the metal cools and then bursting. Check out what you have for now.

Links to all anodised badges INCLUDING unofficial commissions can be found here:

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ead.php?t=1980

Regards

Chris
Old 01-03-09, 01:39 AM

Hi Mike,

Information on Bancroft from which I recieved on 23rd November 2005 from Lt Col Jeremy Bromfield (Deputy Head and CCF Commander) stated that he believed that there never was a staybrite issue of this badge and that brass ones were used until 1979 when they were replaced with the parent Regiment badge being the Royal Anglian Regiment.

This did it for me and I no longer look for one taking it off my 'tick' list years ago.

I also have no current knowledge on the Perse anodised badge and again, I no longer look for one.

re: Merchant Taylors - images attached - bit rough - maker unknown.

Regards

Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Merchant Taylors School - Obverse.jpg (48.6 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg Merchant Taylors School - Reverse.jpg (52.7 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Merchant Taylors School - Side Reverse.jpg (53.2 KB, 20 views)
Old 01-03-09, 11:35 AM

When I was mainly collecting anodised badges I wrote to the OTC/CCF units at certain schools to see if I could purchase a badge from them. One of the units was Bancrofts. I wrote to them about 10 years ago and they sent me one of their badges which looks very like the one in the centre of your 3 badge pic and have attached a pic of the front. I have since sold this badge as I only collect the anodised versions of the OTC/CCF badges. It looks like the school obviously had an alternative source for supplying their badges so I think your badge is genuine. The version I had was very crude on the reverse, lugs seemed to be attached by a "blob" of metal rather than smooth running solder and the finish on the front had rubbed off the high points to expose a more silvery metal. I got a similar response from Perse and again have attached a pic.

Paddy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bancrofts School CCF (Burnished Brass).JPG (48.6 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg Perse School CCF (Burnished Brass).JPG (46.9 KB, 32 views)
Old 01-03-09, 02:12 PM

Hi Paddy,are you saying that the Perse school badge shown is a burnished brass badge rather than an anodised ?
Old 01-03-09, 04:43 PM

Hi Mike

Yes the Perse badge shown is burnished brass or the new type of gilt finish used by badge makers. I obtained a few badges from different schools that were very similar in construction and metal. Can post pictures of them if you wish to see. All came direct from the school CCF/OTC unit.

Paddy
Old 01-03-09, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
Hi Mike

Yes the Perse badge shown is burnished brass or the new type of gilt finish used by badge makers. I obtained a few badges from different schools that were very similar in construction and metal. Can post pictures of them if you wish to see. All came direct from the school CCF/OTC unit.

Paddy

This seems to reconcile with my note above.

Regards,

Chris
Old 01-03-09, 08:39 PM

I think the Mill Hill School badge i received was the same type of badge as the burnished brass ones.
Im trying to recall what other badges i received from various schools using the "Paddy" method.
Gordons - gold anodised
Mill Hill - burnished brass
Wellington College - gold anodised
Wellington School - gold anodised
KES Bham - light blue on dark blue cloth
Exeter University - gold and silver anodised

Those are a few,i`ll try to recall some more over the next few days.
I remember that Millfield School hadnt had a CCF since the 70`s i think and that Mercers school closed in the 50`s
Old 01-03-09, 09:17 PM

Default Bancrofts School

Gentlemen,
Great reponse. Thank you all. Any further information most welcome.
Regards, Stephen.
Old 15-07-20, 03:39 AM

Default Bancroft's 'shiny' version

An old thread, but some new (to me anyway) information

For Bancroft's, the shiny badges I am told were sourced from the Cadet Supply Department in the 1970s. As noted above the fitting of the lugs was poor and they regularly broke.

As an aside, the same was true for King Edward VI Chelmsford, a batch from Cadet Supply in the same time period, also with weak lugs.
Old 15-07-20, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expat Yeoman View Post
An old thread, but some new (to me anyway) information

For Bancroft's, the shiny badges I am told were sourced from the Cadet Supply Department in the 1970s. As noted above the fitting of the lugs was poor and they regularly broke.

As an aside, the same was true for King Edward VI Chelmsford, a batch from Cadet Supply in the same time period, also with weak lugs.
I also had been told this was the case.
Old 15-07-20, 07:12 AM
Super Moderator

Not sure what the Cadet Supply Department is? Can any one elaborate?
Old 15-07-20, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
Not sure what the Cadet Supply Department is? Can any one elaborate?
Alan, from what I remember despite the name it was a business not part of the MOD and operated on the King's Road in London, selling basic equipment etc. for adults and cadets. They also took commissions to manufacture items e.g. the two badges I mentioned above.

There's a little more about them here: https://www.cadetdirect.com/blog/cad...h-anniversary/

That plus good old Silverman's on the other side of town were the 'go to' for those of us near London in my cadet days.
Old 15-07-20, 08:22 AM
Super Moderator

That clear's it up. Many thanks.

I have seen several school CCF badges made in this manner from various makers. They range from the early 1950's base metal die cast ones to the more recently made ones.

Alan