British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 13-07-20, 08:08 PM

Default Display Question

Might be a bit unusual question, but I have finally acquired enough insignia to start setting up some final displays. My question has to do with the few VAD pieces I have. I typically use an 8 x 12 riker case, but do not have enough VAD pieces to fill it and make it look presentable. I also collect FANY, and currently don't have enough there to fill a case.

So, do I put VAD and FANY together (I know that VAD came about after a schism in the FANY organization) since, my understanding is that both were more ambulance drivers that nurses (not including the "Free FANYs" who were more into code breaking and involvement with SOE)?

Or, do I put the VAD in with my nursing bits since they were maybe more nursing than ambulance drivers?

Suggestions or thoughts are very much appreciated.

Terry
Old 13-07-20, 08:30 PM

Terry, It is your display so you do it the way you want to, mate

Jerry

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)
Old 13-07-20, 09:26 PM

That jogged a memory VAD...As a naive lad of eighteen I was in the NAAFI Club in
Port Said, I asked the Matron who wore VAD titles what VAD stood for?
I've never forgotten the answer and I'm 92 now...
"Virgins Awaiting Destruction".
Old 14-07-20, 04:18 AM

In November 1993 the Australian government sent a delegation of surviving WW1 veterans to UK and France for the 75th anniversary of the end of WW1. When they were leaving, someone called out "watch out for those French girls!"
One of the Vets, quick as a flash, replied "that's all we can do these days".
Old 14-07-20, 05:07 AM

The VAD's were voluntary nurses from the Red Cross and StJohns associations. My understanding is that there role was primarily nursing (wards) though some did drive ambulances. I have included all my VAD items with my nursing items.

FANY was initially a private organisation with the purpose of retrieving wounded from the battlefield and giving first aid treatment. Probably the reason they ended up more in am ambulance role than as ward nurses.

No harm in putting them together until you get more insignia to both organisations and then splitting into there own cases.
Old 14-07-20, 04:25 PM

Thank you Milmed,

You have clarified exactly what I was needing. Yes, I will move them to my nursing display as it right now is equally sparse.

Thank you!!!

Terry