British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Formation Signs and Patches

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-02-16, 05:01 PM

Default Rare formation signs or something else?

Some time ago I read with great interest two articles in the fabulous Journal of the Military Heraldry Society, one by Les Cable (FS 195) and the other by Mike Jackson (FS 239) about the British Troops in India formation sign.

Les Cables article showed a drawing and Mike's article showed the badge on a Farewell card.

I first spotted the small Union Flag badge in a junk shop in Athens and my mind went to Les's article, it has a bullion King's Crown and an embroidered flag all edged on khaki and measures 6x3 cm. Could it be? I let myself believe and haggled the price down with a set of British para wings to about the equivalent of £20 (Very reminiscent of British Military Mission to Greece but with a British Crown rather than a Greek one)

A year or so later I spotted on eBay in a mixed batch of badges the larger badge, doesn't look very military I thought but again a similar badge to Les's drawing so bid and won them. Not overly impressed I thought, probably something silly like the British European Automobile Club (just made that up by the way) knowing my luck.

But then on seeing Mike's card I thought actually its very similar.

This badge is all embroidered and has two press studs on the rear and measures 8.5x5.5 cm.

What do you all think? Rare or tat?

Cheers
Sean
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rare.jpg (65.0 KB, 171 views)
File Type: jpg rare back.jpg (37.3 KB, 103 views)
Old 06-02-16, 05:48 PM

For what it's worth I'd say you were spot on with both badges - the press studs are a good sign of Indian use - and they are both hard to find.

Thanks for the compliment on the Journal of The Military Heraldry Society.

Jon
(Current Journal Editor)
Old 06-02-16, 05:52 PM

Thanks Jon, do you think they are both for British Troops India? Possibly the bullion crown one is an officers private purchase?
Regards
Sean
Old 17-04-17, 02:35 PM

The following badge sold recently on eBay, I was intrigued by it as it was almost identical to my badge shown in the first photo above. I had previously suggested this might have been the rare badge worn by the last troops in India at Independence but I'm now having my doubts, at least with this smaller wire embroidered badge.
The reason is I found mine in a junk shop in Athens. Where do you think the seller is based of this latest find? That's right Greece So how is it that a badge I have never come across before turns up in Greece twice?

New theory folks and let me know what you think, the badge is strikingly similar to the British MilitaryMission to Greece badge we're all familiar with. As the British Military Mission was still in Greece after the war had ended, is it possible they changed from wearing. A Greek flagged badge to one with the Union flag, it's just very odd that both badges turned up in Greece.

What do you think?
Oops photo to be added
Old 17-04-17, 06:10 PM

heres the badge from ebay and on a pocket hanger as the British Military Mission badge was worn.
cheers
Sean
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l500.jpg (36.2 KB, 67 views)
Old 17-04-17, 06:44 PM

Maybe you have stumbled upon the Bulgarian-Greek manufactures domain.

Marc
Old 18-05-20, 09:39 AM

Any more thoughts anyone?
A couple more bits that have appeared on the internet since I last posted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg British Troops, India.jpg (60.5 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7783.jpg (39.7 KB, 55 views)
Old 18-05-20, 10:00 AM

I can't help you Sean because I don't collect that sort of thing but I can't help commenting on what a lovely badge it is that you show in your last post.

Keith
Old 27-05-20, 01:41 AM

Unless I am suffering from Doolally Tap (highly likely), they are two completely different badges, although of the same basic design. The larger apparently is connected with India.

CB
Old 03-06-20, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapper533 View Post
Any more thoughts anyone?
A couple more bits that have appeared on the internet since I last posted.
That Union Jack is upside down.