British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 14-04-13, 04:52 PM

Default Dorsetshire Regt; attributable OSD cap badge

I picked up a framed photograph of an apparently un-named Lieutenant in the Dorsetshire Regiment yesterday. The glass was broken, the mount damaged and the whole ensemble is generally in need of restoration. Apart from the fact that I collect Great War photographs, I was attracted to the picture by the presence of an OSD cap badge at the top of the picture. It's lugs however were bent over to keep it in place.

Seeing that the back of the photograph needed to be removed so that I could clean the frame and replace the glass I was disappointed to see that the only writing on the back was the words, For Kathleen. Not much to go on.

I carefully straightened the lugs on the back of the cap badge and removed it for cleaning.

I also thought that as the mount, which was badly damaged and stuck to the photograph needed replacing I would remove it to see if there were any more clues as to who the officer was. Carefully removing the mount using a plastic ruler I was delighted to see the words Soane and Oxford which were obviously the name and location of the photographer. Best of all was a single name, barely readable but a name nonetheless. Cuthbert.

I now needed to find a Lieutenant called Cuthbert in the Dorsetshire Regiment. There was only one, George Cuthbert Stickland, formerly Pte PS/928 19th Btn Royal Fusiliers; commissioned 8th September 1917.

A quick check of the marriage registers revealed:

12th October 1918, Holy Trinity Church, Brompton, George Cuthbert Stickland, Lieut Dorsetshire Regiment, age 25, married Kathleen Mary Fossick, age 26.

Now all I need to do is cut a new mount, replace the cap badge, but this time with the lugs coming out of the backing board, get some glass cut and reassemble it all together.

I am delighted to have an attributable cap badge in my collection.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dor 1.jpg (38.0 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg Dorset whole.jpg (77.5 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg Dor2.jpg (77.3 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg Dor 3.jpg (23.4 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg Dorset badge clean.jpg (100.5 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg Dorset rev clean.jpg (98.1 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg Cuthbert sig.jpg (34.6 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg Doroff.jpg (41.5 KB, 42 views)

Last edited by High Wood; 14-04-13 at 08:20 PM.
Old 14-04-13, 05:09 PM

A very nice find and some excellent research. However, it is not an OSD badge
... it's better than that, it's a silver and gilt dress cap badge !
well done !
Old 14-04-13, 06:13 PM

Superb; the icing on the cake. I will post a picture when the restoration is complete.
Old 14-04-13, 06:27 PM

It went to the right man to research it then Simon Nice find mate,
Wilf.
Old 14-04-13, 06:31 PM
Peter J

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wood View Post
I picked up a framed photograph of an apparently un-named Lieutenant in the Dorsetshire Regiment yesterday. The glass was broken, the mount damaged and the whole ensemble is generally in need of restoration. Apart from the fact that I collect Great War photographs, I was attracted to the picture by the presence of an OSD cap badge at the top of the picture. It's lugs however were bent over to keep it in place.

Seeing that the back of the photograph needed to be removed so that I could clean the frame and replace the glass I was disappointed to see that the only writing on the back was the words, For Kathleen. Not much to go on.

I carefully straightened the lugs on the back of the cap badge and removed it for cleaning.

I also thought that as the mount, which was badly damaged and stuck to the photograph needed replacing, I would remove it to see if there were any more clues as to who the officer was. Carefully removing the mount using a plastic ruler I was delighted to see the words Soane and Oxford which were obviously the name and location of the photographer. Best of all was a single name, barely readable but a name nonetheless. Cuthbert.

I now needed to find a Lieutenant called Cuthbert in the Dorsetshire Regiment. There was only one, George Cuthbert Stickland, formerly Pte PS/928 19th Btn Royal Fusiliers; commissioned 8th September 1917.

A quick check of the marriage registers revealed:

12th October 1918, Holy Trinity Church, Brompton, George Cuthbert Stickland, Lieut Dorsetshire Regiment, age 25, married Kathleen Mary Fossick, age 26.

Now all I need to do is cut a new mount, replace the cap badge, but this time with the lugs coming out of the backing board, get some glass cut and reassemble it all together.

I am delighted to have an attributable cap badge in my collection.
Simon,

Brilliant stuff! I can imagine your feeling of gratification when you finally unlocked the answer with the names on the marriage cert.

Thanks for sharing the tale.

All the best,

Peter.
Old 14-04-13, 08:11 PM

Yes, it is very gratifying to be able to pluck something out of the dustbin of history. Once reframed the back of the picture will be properly labelled for posterity.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stickland.jpg (52.3 KB, 22 views)
Old 15-04-13, 12:55 AM

Simon.

Great stuff, just goes to show, it is still out there and with some dedication and a touch of perseverance, a fine outcome can be achieved.

Looking forward to seeing the completed project.
Regards
Brian
Old 17-04-13, 12:32 PM
LYPAO Boff

Default NORTHUMBERLAND HUSSARS Collar!?

NORTHUMBERLAND HUSSARS
Collar badge

£125.00 Buy it Now

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RARE-NORTH...item1c31ddeefe

"A Yeoman from the Stalwart Rural Cavalry"
Lechyd da pob Cymro
Old 17-04-13, 12:49 PM

I think we all need to get in touch with our Insurance Brokers to up our cover if that badge is worth a fraction of that,or am I missing something ?

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 17-04-13, 12:59 PM

It's the Imperial Yeomanry cap badge, last one I saw went for £120 so it's probably about right
Wilf.
Old 17-04-13, 01:03 PM
Former Member

That's about right for a "Rare" badge like that! NHIY, don't see many of those?
Andy
Old 17-04-13, 01:34 PM
LYPAO Boff

Yup..... its KK1324 (as Andy has stated)..... dont know why I am complaining really my LIYPAO KK1316 cost a fair bit more than that so I suppose that's a good price

I see somebody has bought it

"A Yeoman from the Stalwart Rural Cavalry"
Lechyd da pob Cymro
Old 17-04-13, 01:38 PM
Former Member

Griff,
I owe you one, been after one of those for ages!

Best regards

Andy
Old 18-04-13, 06:32 PM

Default Manchester Badge question

M1.jpg

M2.jpg

M3.jpg

Hi

I've got this Manchester Regiment badge. If you look at the attachments, you'll see the finish has cracked in several places, and in one place (globe) there is a slit right through the badge. This badge has a very different finish then my other badges (silver-foil-like)
Has anyone seen this before?

Colin

"One day I'll leave you, a phantom to lead you in the Summer, to join the Black Parade"
Old 18-04-13, 06:37 PM
Peter J

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubervamp View Post
Attachment 81405

Attachment 81406

Attachment 81407

Hi

I've got this Manchester Regiment badge. If you look at the attachments, you'll see the finish has cracked in several places, and in one place (globe) there is a slit right through the badge. This badge has a very different finish then my other badges (silver-foil-like)
Has anyone seen this before?

Colin
Colin,

From what I can see, it looks sand-cast. Can you post full back and front images, at all?

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...4&postcount=50

Peter