British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Corps, Branches and the Royal Canadian Artillery

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 21-03-23, 11:44 PM

Default Canadian Artillery (Roden Bros)

Hi everyone,

I have this cap badge, but can't really find any specific reference to it aside from the 'thick' gun. I know it was a "Generic" artillery but I haven't come across anything comparable.

It's 7cm wide and 5cm tall with the back of the gun measuring 7mm.

It is dated 1917 across the top of the wheel and has "Roden Bros LTD Toronto" across the bottom. It also had the remnants of North and south tangs. Though the north tang remnant is the most noticeable. It looks like it might have had a field repair, though it's speculation. I bought it with a slider, with the same patina on the badge, repair solder, and slider.

Unfortunately it snapped when the shadow box it was displayed in fell off the wall. I plan on taking it to a local Jeweler to have it repaired properly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20230321_162342.jpg (45.7 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg 20230321_163320.jpg (58.9 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 20230321_163018.jpg (91.6 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by The Canadian; 21-03-23 at 11:49 PM.
Old 22-03-23, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator

The Canada banner gun badge was worn by the Canadian Field Artillery and Canadian Garrison Artillery units. They were redesignated Royal at various times, the regular force components in 1893, the militia field batteries were the last, in 1936.
Old 22-03-23, 04:51 PM

Hi “The Canadian”. Very nice badge you have there. In over 30 years of collecting Artillery cap badges, I’ve yet to acquire a “Roden” marked badge! As I believe it’s quite rare, care should be taken when selecting a jeweller willing to make a good restoration which shouldn’t be too expensive. If you care to go to my albums and select “Royal Canadian Artillery cap badges 1878 - 1952” then go to page 3, line 6, pictures 4 - 5. Or Page 4, line 1 and pictures 1 - 2. These closely resemble your “Roden” badge. The brass tangs are approximately .035” thick. Total length including the bend 1.080” and width of .175”. From what I can make out, your badge was originally constructed the same way. Your jeweller should know that they should clean all residue of the former attachment before attempting the repair and put the bend in prior to attaching with “Silver Solder”. lead or “Tin-man’s” solder is a No-No!. You might look at “Canadian Tire” or a model shop or other store and buy a piece of brass at that thickness and fashion your tangs your self, (that way you have a personal interest in the restoration!) Best regards and Good luck. D.J.
Old 22-03-23, 05:11 PM

The WW1 Canadian Artillery badges are a good badge to collect as there are so many styles and many different maker marks.

I have collected most of them over the years and on checking my collection find I have two identical to your style badges by Roden Brothers.

the first is a cap badge in pickled brass, maker marked by them with tangs north and south.

Interestingly the other is brass but is a pouch badge on screw posts again maker marked by them

I also have both a CFA & a CGA shoulder title by them, both dated 1918

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 22-03-23, 08:34 PM

You’re a tease Simon!……. Two Roden badges? Regards, D.J.
Old 22-03-23, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artynut View Post
Hi “The Canadian”. Very nice badge you have there. In over 30 years of collecting Artillery cap badges, I’ve yet to acquire a “Roden” marked badge! As I believe it’s quite rare, care should be taken when selecting a jeweller willing to make a good restoration which shouldn’t be too expensive. If you care to go to my albums and select “Royal Canadian Artillery cap badges 1878 - 1952” then go to page 3, line 6, pictures 4 - 5. Or Page 4, line 1 and pictures 1 - 2. These closely resemble your “Roden” badge. The brass tangs are approximately .035” thick. Total length including the bend 1.080” and width of .175”. From what I can make out, your badge was originally constructed the same way. Your jeweller should know that they should clean all residue of the former attachment before attempting the repair and put the bend in prior to attaching with “Silver Solder”. lead or “Tin-man’s” solder is a No-No!. You might look at “Canadian Tire” or a model shop or other store and buy a piece of brass at that thickness and fashion your tangs your self, (that way you have a personal interest in the restoration!) Best regards and Good luck. D.J.
I will use care looking for a jeweller, I have the slider it was once repaired with as well, I was thinking that it could be re attached so I don't need to remove the original tang remnants and risk damaging it.

Someone suggested recently that I use a small bit of epoxy (that can be removed without permanent damage if the need arises) though that seems a little strange to me.
Old 22-03-23, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchesters View Post
The WW1 Canadian Artillery badges are a good badge to collect as there are so many styles and many different maker marks.

I have collected most of them over the years and on checking my collection find I have two identical to your style badges by Roden Brothers.

the first is a cap badge in pickled brass, maker marked by them with tangs north and south.

Interestingly the other is brass but is a pouch badge on screw posts again maker marked by them

I also have both a CFA & a CGA shoulder title by them, both dated 1918

regards
Interesting, so what collar should I look for so I can complete the set. I did notice quite the selection of different patterns.
Old 23-03-23, 02:00 AM

Well, it appears to me that you’re intent on using the original tang, so you might as well do it yourself! It was already a bad soldering job if it broke off when the frame dropped. If you do NOT clean properly the residue off the badge and your tang, you will have a sloppy and weak attachment again! Very upsetting to contemplate. D.J.
Old 23-03-23, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator

There were several types of collars worn by the CFA. Included were the general list maple leaf badges, the small flaming grenades or the maple leaf with imposed field gun badges.
Old 23-03-23, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artynut View Post
Well, it appears to me that you’re intent on using the original tang, so you might as well do it yourself! It was already a bad soldering job if it broke off when the frame dropped. If you do NOT clean properly the residue off the badge and your tang, you will have a sloppy and weak attachment again! Very upsetting to contemplate. D.J.
The idea of doing north and south tangs again sounds great but then I was thinking it could really mess up the badge if a mistake was made, and I don't really have the experience *yet* to make those kind of judgement calls. I didn't want to leave you with an upsetting thought, I don't have any intention of attempting the repair myself.

I'm just looking at options, every collector has their own methods and I figured having information would help me make an informed decision rather than a hasty repair job or could offer different options as processes change or improve.
Old 23-03-23, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
There were several types of collars worn by the CFA. Included were the general list maple leaf badges, the small flaming grenades or the maple leaf with imposed field gun badges.
Thank you Bill I appreciate it