British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-05-10, 12:03 AM

Default Manchester Economy Badge

Gents - what do you think of this Manchester brass economy badge? I think it looks OK but am concerned at the look of many of the seller's other badges... like that nasty Mancs 1st VB badge. But, he could have the odd good one??

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...#ht_500wt_1182

Thanks, Ian.
Old 18-05-10, 06:30 AM

Hi Ian
It seems strange to me that a brass badge would still have a seperate scrool soldered on. I would have expected it to be one piece. I'd wait for the experts...
Cheers,
Alex
Old 18-05-10, 06:48 AM
Super Moderator

There was no, repeat no economy badge for the Manchesters. They have been created by fraudsters to fill an iill informed demand. His Mancs badges are fakes, his connaughts are fakes, his munster is a fake, the 25th RF is a fake and has the fake WD mark.....

Avoid!

Alan
Old 18-05-10, 06:56 AM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whizzbang View Post
Gents - what do you think of this Manchester brass economy badge? I think it looks OK but am concerned at the look of many of the seller's other badges... like that nasty Mancs 1st VB badge. But, he could have the odd good one??

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...#ht_500wt_1182

Thanks, Ian.
Ian,
there was not an All Gm 1916 Economy issue badge to the Manchester Regt. This is clearly a fake! As mentioned economies were made in a single strike. They were only made if there was a labour saving and in the case of the Manchesters, as there was only a base scroll in Gm an economy was not authorised. There is a non-voided all Gm "Pals" badge and a Bim non-voided badge too. But the badge you have indicted is IMO WRONG!

A link to my all Gm 1916 badges, no Manchesters!

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...hp?albumid=400

Andy
Old 18-05-10, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
There was no, repeat no economy badge for the Manchesters. They have been created by fraudsters to fill an iill informed demand. His Mancs badges are fakes, his connaughts are fakes, his munster is a fake, the 25th RF is a fake and has the fake WD mark.....

Avoid!

Alan
Hi Alan,

Do you mean no "all brass" economy badges to the Manchesters? I believe there was at least a non-voided bi-metal version? I have two from good sources! (stalyvegas and harribobs)

Thanks,

Ian.

Last edited by whizzbang; 18-05-10 at 10:38 AM.
Old 18-05-10, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2747andy View Post
Ian,
there was not an All Gm 1916 Economy issue badge to the Manchester Regt. This is clearly a fake! As mentioned economies were made in a single strike. They were only made if there was a labour saving and in the case of the Manchesters, as there was only a base scroll in Gm an economy was not authorised. There is a non-voided all Gm "Pals" badge and a Bim non-voided badge too. But the badge you have indicted is IMO WRONG!

A link to my all Gm 1916 badges, no Manchesters!

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...hp?albumid=400

Andy
Hi Andy,

Here is a link to a photo in harribobs album (not a forum album) indicating a 1916 all brass economy badge. It is different from the e-bay one I linked to in that it is finer in detail and has the scroll in one piece. I actually have one of these but it was so delicate that it broke! (the world fell off)

http://harribobs.smugmug.com/History...29446060_5mj4z

What is your opinion of that one?

Cheers, Ian.
Old 18-05-10, 10:57 AM
Former Member

Talking

Ian,
I cannot access the link to Harribobs album, so I cannot comment!! Although he is certainly an expert on the Manchester Regt.

He may show an all Gm badge, but it won't be official issue! If you trawl back you'll see I've posted the all brass "Pals" and the non voided Bim badges on previous threads, both were endorsed by Harribobs!

Andy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 29446060_5mj4z-S.jpg (20.4 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by 2747andy; 18-05-10 at 12:56 PM.
Old 18-05-10, 11:01 AM
Super Moderator

There certainly was a soldi bi-metal version. It is not a true economy in that it was not all brass but was indeed likely to be the result of wartime production pressure.

As fas as the 2 piece brass one goes I stand by my ascertain that it is not right.
Old 18-05-10, 11:31 AM

Thanks for your comments, Alan and Andy. You have steered me straight on the badge in the original link! I won't touch it!

Cheers, Ian.
Old 18-05-10, 12:05 PM
Former Member

Default Harribobs all GM 1916 badge

Ian,
I've managed to get into Harribobs album, in my honest opinion that badge is not genuine, it is my opinion only (having not seen the back) and based on the style of lettering to the base scroll! The font is very thin and neat and identical to that found on many repros...

Andy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 29446060_5mj4z-S.jpg (20.4 KB, 31 views)

Last edited by 2747andy; 18-05-10 at 12:59 PM.
Old 18-05-10, 12:27 PM

Hi Ian,

Hoping to find the "odd good one" in a selection of not so good ones is like continuing to play a slot machine because it's due to pay off, or drawing to an inside straight in poker. Just because a sucker is born every minute doesn't mean it has to be us. I would at least find an honest game.

Don
Old 18-05-10, 05:26 PM

That 'Manchester' font is like that used on duff Birmingham Pals badges. That font would stop me buying any badge. Too sharp and even. Regards, Paul.
Old 18-05-10, 06:50 PM

Talking But that's part of the fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubilationtcornpone View Post
Hi Ian,

Hoping to find the "odd good one" in a selection of not so good ones is like continuing to play a slot machine because it's due to pay off, or drawing to an inside straight in poker. Just because a sucker is born every minute doesn't mean it has to be us. I would at least find an honest game.

Don
Aw, Don - that's part of the fun! I think of it more like panning for gold. However, to stick with your analogy, having the forum is a bit like having an extra ace up your sleeve!

Cheers, Ian.
Old 18-05-10, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2747andy View Post
Ian,
I've managed to get into Harribobs album, in my honest opinion that badge is not genuine, it is my opinion only (having not seen the back) and based on the style of lettering to the base scroll! The font is very thin and neat and identical to that found on many repros...

Andy
Hi Andy (and wardog) - thanks for that, I was not aware of the font issue but now that you point it out it is pretty noticable. I am learning alot about British badges here - thanks again!

Ian.
Old 18-05-10, 06:59 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whizzbang View Post
Hi Andy (and wardog) - thanks for that, I was not aware of the font issue but now that you point it out it is pretty noticable. I am learning alot about British badges here - thanks again!

Ian.
Thanks Ian, just hope Harribob does not think I doubt his expertise! But I'm certain his badge is not right!

Andy