British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 28-05-10, 11:48 AM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....
Default Worcester or Worcester Realted Shako Query

Help.
This is probably one for the Worcester Regiment gurus out there...
Can anyone (Jeff?) shed some light on these 2 'shako' plates.
Parkyn mentions the use of the Worcester castle as being Worcester Militia - which would mean that sunburst star would have been silvered? rather than gilded - unless they have been re-gilded intentionally for some reason.
The workmanship and quality is excellent, so I am not treating them as copies or restrikes.
The 'castle one' does have the 'Firm' motto which is associated with the 36th Foot rather than the 29th Foot.
They are both brooched - which seems odd, but not unlikely if they weren't fixed to a helmet. I can't seem to track these down anywhere.
If necessary, I will post pictures of the backs - if it helps in identifying them.

Ideas, ladies and gentlemen....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WorcesterShako_Castle.jpg (87.8 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg WorcesterShako_XXIX.jpg (78.8 KB, 27 views)
Old 28-05-10, 04:36 PM

Default Any use ?

David. Will these two pages from Bennet's book be of any use ? The badge to the 29th was also worn on the glengarry from about 1879 to 1881 I believe. Your pictures are fantastic by the way. Thanks for posting them. Jeff

Bennet (1).jpg Bennet (2).jpg Bennet (3).jpg

Last edited by Jeff Mc William; 28-05-10 at 08:15 PM.
Old 28-05-10, 05:16 PM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Hello gentlemen,

Now that Roger has passed away, I would suggest another ' authority ' ( he won't like me saying that but I think he is ), on the Worcesters could be ROLICA, he served a long time in the regiment and as you probably know, has a very substantial and beautiful collection of Worcestershire Regiment badges.

Oh, I would also agree with Jeff re the images in Roger's book, two very nice badges David, I'm sure I can remember you saying that you were going to make me drool ?? could this be the start ?? the only stars I have are numbers 337 amd 353 in the same book, so I'm well impressed.

Dave.

PS, No reflection on your photo's Jeff but my eyes are not as good as they could be, I've taken a closer shot of the text but I've also ( doh ), cut off the heading.... " The White Helmet ", hope this shot helps you David.

DC.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Worcestershire Regiment. 002.jpg (63.4 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by davec2; 28-05-10 at 05:28 PM. Reason: PS
Old 28-05-10, 05:33 PM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Mc William View Post
David. Will these two pages from Bennet's book be of any use ? The badge to the 29th was also worn on the glengarry from about 1870 to 1881 I believe. Your pictures are fantastic by the way. Thanks for posting them. Jeff

Attachment 25839 Attachment 25840 Attachment 25841
Excellent and many thanks. Can you let me have the book details so that I can try and get a copy.
David
Old 28-05-10, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davec2 View Post
Hello gentlemen,

Now that Roger has passed away, I would suggest another ' authority ' ( he won't like me saying that but I think he is ), on the Worcesters could be ROLICA, he served a long time in the regiment and as you probably know, has a very substantial and beautiful collection of Worcestershire Regiment badges.

Oh, I would also agree with Jeff re the images in Roger's book, two very nice badges David, I'm sure I can remember you saying that you were going to make me drool ?? could this be the start ?? the only stars I have are numbers 337 amd 353 in the same book, so I'm well impressed.

Dave.

PS, No reflection on your photo's Jeff but my eyes are not as good as they could be, I've taken a closer shot of the text but I've also ( doh ), cut off the heading.... " The White Helmet ", hope this shot helps you David.

DC.
It does and many thanks Dave. The drool items are still in cases and tucked away. But one of these days........ I'll post a few. Too much of a good thing etc... rgds, david
Old 28-05-10, 07:07 PM

Hi David. The book was written and privately published by the late Major R.W.Bennett in 1994. He had to publish it privately because (like me) he couldn't find a publisher willing to print it, so he had to market it via the MHS. Would you believe it..a fantastic book like that ! Sorry I can't remember the price (about £12 I think). It is about A4 size and has 172 pages.
I guess your best hope is to try Amazon or someone else on the Web, or put an advert in the MHS Journal, as I think it will be very scarce these days. The ISBN number is :
0-9524231-0-3
I hope you manage to get a copy as it is an excellent book. Regards Jeff
DaveC
Thanks for enlarging the page for me, I don't have that facility on my scanner. And yes, I agree re Rolica he is a splendid bloke and has a fine collection. Regards Jeff

Last edited by Jeff Mc William; 28-05-10 at 07:26 PM.
Old 28-05-10, 07:32 PM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Hello again both David and Jeff,

I got my copy a couple of years ago from the Worcester Museum thanks to Clive, it was, I think about £25.00p then, which is what Amazon are asking currently and with free postage, a cracking book for anyone interested in the regiment.

It was because I saw Clive's original album that I developed a liking for their badges and as an aside, I wish he would answer my messages !!

All the best.

Dave.
Old 29-05-10, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Mc William View Post
Hi David. The book was written and privately published by the late Major R.W.Bennett in 1994. He had to publish it privately because (like me) he couldn't find a publisher willing to print it, so he had to market it via the MHS. Would you believe it..a fantastic book like that ! Sorry I can't remember the price (about £12 I think). It is about A4 size and has 172 pages.
I guess your best hope is to try Amazon or someone else on the Web, or put an advert in the MHS Journal, as I think it will be very scarce these days. The ISBN number is :
0-9524231-0-3
I hope you manage to get a copy as it is an excellent book. Regards Jeff
DaveC
Thanks for enlarging the page for me, I don't have that facility on my scanner. And yes, I agree re Rolica he is a splendid bloke and has a fine collection. Regards Jeff
Jeff, Dave,
Many thanks to you both. I'll see what I can track down.
Dave,