British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 29-10-20, 06:19 AM

Bill,

per our recent IM exchange, I missed your question when it was first posted. Perhaps responding now may prompt some new information to come forth.

This would make a fine topic for a collection as very few people are aware of the program. It is not mentioned in Westlake's book and although several of these titles are illustrated they are not positively/correctly identified.

I did not copy the top of page 124 when I examined this volume at Kew. The reason that I would not have been interested in it is because it would not have included any Irish units. However, if you study the two images you can deduce a little from them.

There are only infantry regiments listed and they are listed in order of precedence on page 123. We may assume order of precedence was also used on page 124. If you look at the image I have of page 124 you will see that that the last 4 entries for titles are visible.

They are pattern 8952 N. Lancs, 8752 Northants, 8746 R. Berks, 3245/1919 KOYLI and 8754 N. Staffs (all sealed in 1916 save the KOYLI).

But, note these are re-sealings as all of these appear on page 123 with earlier (first pattern?) sealing pattern numbers.

So it seems there is between 13 and 21 regiments/corps involved (13 listed clearly on page 123 and looking at the pattern numbers visible on page 124 the top 7 look to have 'early' pattern numbers and are likely additional regiments while 8950/1916 is likely a re-seal) My estimate is 20 different units, but unfortunately I cannot provide a complete list.

As a supplementary note, there were two other economy projects regarding shoulder titles. Many are aware of the introduction of slip-on embroidered titles to save metal (genuinely this time unlike all GM cap badges and recorded in the register of changes) and the other was the non piercing of metal titles.

The first entry I have found on this project is on Aug. 29. 1916 and there is a record of it in WO359 Vol 16 Page 28. Image attached,

Titles Metal, non pierced, with pin, no plate. Temporary for period of the war...
Samples of representative specimens to guide contractors. Cards...... with the following titles on each card all to be semi solid.

Kings, 1 Monmouthshire, R.A.M.C., Cheshire, R.W. Kent, R.D.F., Seaforth, S. Staffs, Shropshire, Somerset, W.G & Leek.

I have my doubts that that project was ever enacted as I can't recall ever seeing semi solid metal titles of the regular infantry and unlike the other economy projects I have not found an entry of this one being cancelled in 1919.

John