British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Other Army Departments and Corps Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 19-08-16, 04:30 AM

Default Royal Army Physical Training Corps [Soldiers]

Hi Guys,

Does anyone have a modern example of Royal Army Physical Training Corps [Soldiers] cap badge.

The NSN is 8455-99-973-9467 (which is the same as the A/A version) but the pattern No. is 19174A while the A/A version is just 19174 i.e. without the 'A' suffix.

Badge is nickle silver with a bright silver-plated finish and recipient will probably have an example in a Firmin (although unmarked as such) plastic bag or will have recently acquired it from a military source.

Badge may well be without maker markings.

Regards,

Chris
Old 19-08-16, 06:22 AM

Is it a "Royal" Corps ?

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 19-08-16, 07:26 AM
Super Moderator

Yes it is although its accession is relatively recent from 2010.

http://raptcassociation.org.uk/
Old 19-08-16, 07:42 AM

Thanks Alan,

Apologies, I wasn't aware of that.

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 19-08-16, 08:37 AM

I believe that the first "official" outing of the R.A.P.T.C. was at the Remembrance night at the Albert Hall in November 2010 Her Majesty The Queen approved that the Army Physical Training Corps be re-titled The Royal Army Physical Training Corps.

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)
Old 23-08-16, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagwalther View Post
Hi Guys,

Does anyone have a modern example of Royal Army Physical Training Corps [Soldiers] cap badge.

The NSN is 8455-99-973-9467 (which is the same as the A/A version) but the pattern No. is 19174A while the A/A version is just 19174 i.e. without the 'A' suffix.

Badge is nickle silver with a bright silver-plated finish and recipient will probably have an example in a Firmin (although unmarked as such) plastic bag or will have recently acquired it from a military source.

Badge may well be without maker markings.

Regards,

Chris
Chris,
I have an example of an APTC ORS cap badge in a FIRMIN & SONS LTD sealed bag.
Finish is B SILVER PATT NO 19174 date 13/12/07 NSN 8455-99-973-9467

Too early for RAPTC but slider is marked FIRMIN

Tim
Old 23-08-16, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_green_acorn View Post
Chris,
I have an example of an APTC ORS cap badge in a FIRMIN & SONS LTD sealed bag.
Finish is B SILVER PATT NO 19174 date 13/12/07 NSN 8455-99-973-9467

Too early for RAPTC but slider is marked FIRMIN

Tim
Hi Tim,

Sounds like I have the same - suspect the 'N' in FIRMIN right vertical stroke is missing at the top?

Any chance of an image of the rear of the badge and maker mark through the packaging?

Probably the badge has also been used for RAPTC with admin on pattern No. updated.

Regards,

Chris
Old 26-08-16, 05:23 PM

The FIRMIN mark is very feint!

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg APTC (1).jpg (38.7 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg APTC (2).jpg (44.6 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg APTC (3).jpg (40.5 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg APTC (4).jpg (36.1 KB, 19 views)
Old 27-08-16, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_green_acorn View Post
The FIRMIN mark is very feint!

Tim
Thanks Tim,

Just what I needed.

Regards,

Chris
Old 27-08-16, 08:33 PM

Chris

Apologies for the delay in replying but I have been away for a few weeks. I'm not sure the A suffix is as clear cut an indication as you think. I have attached pictures of 3 different APTC modern metal/silver badges in their packaging, one of them dated 10/05/06 has the A suffix, another dated 29/06/09 hasn't and the 3rd dated 2010 . 11 has the suffix. I still have the one dated 09 in it's packaging, the 2010 one without packaging but no longer have the 06 one. Close up pic of the slider is for the 09 version without suffix. If they were officially renamed RAPTC in Nov 2010 then it looks like the 2010 . 11 version I have could have been the first batch for the new regiment but strangely they are still called the APTC (could this be because they didn't want the cat let out of the bag until the official announcement??)

Paddy

Last edited by Paddy; 27-08-16 at 08:38 PM.
Old 28-08-16, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
Chris

Apologies for the delay in replying but I have been away for a few weeks. I'm not sure the A suffix is as clear cut an indication as you think. I have attached pictures of 3 different APTC modern metal/silver badges in their packaging, one of them dated 10/05/06 has the A suffix, another dated 29/06/09 hasn't and the 3rd dated 2010 . 11 has the suffix. I still have the one dated 09 in it's packaging, the 2010 one without packaging but no longer have the 06 one. Close up pic of the slider is for the 09 version without suffix. If they were officially renamed RAPTC in Nov 2010 then it looks like the 2010 . 11 version I have could have been the first batch for the new regiment but strangely they are still called the APTC (could this be because they didn't want the cat let out of the bag until the official announcement??)

Paddy
Hi Paddy,

Nothing ever easy!

I think it would be a bit pedantic to suggest that there are two different badges for the APTC and the RAPTC. One could argue that if the packaging is post Oct 2010 then it is as a 'genuine' RAPTC regardless of the suffix to the pattern No. or the unit designation.

The FIRMIN mark is as I expected (with short vertical stroke of the 'N' in 'FIRMIN') but if a version with the FIRMIN 'Double Diamond' came along then I would be keen to acquire it - especially if it was in designated RAPTC packaging!

Thanks Paddy!

Chris