British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 23-07-13, 11:18 AM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....
Default "From Freedom" A WWII publicity book of the Armed Forces - Airborne Related Material

I mentioned this in a post the other day and thought that some members may like to see them. I found the book at last (its slightly bigger all round than A3 but not A2 sized) - so you will have to excuse me having to crop some of the images and my apologies for the drop in quality. Just to keep the PC "legal eagles" at bay - there is no copyright anywhere in the publication, however, it was printed and published during WWII but (obviously) it was restricted as someone realised it could have been useful to the enemy..... there's something that didn't cross their minds.....

It has no publication date or who published it, so I still need to do some research - however, someone on the forum may be able to help out here.
I would also imagine that a lot of these "books" were broken up for individual prints. This book which covers all the arms and services is complete.

Enjoy. Rgds, David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ForFreedom_Para01.jpg (59.0 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg ForFreedom_Para02a.jpg (23.6 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg ForFreedom_Para03a.jpg (29.4 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg ForFreedom_Para04a.jpg (46.9 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg ForFreedom_Para05a.jpg (40.9 KB, 32 views)
Old 23-07-13, 06:49 PM

Smile Pics

David, The last picture appears on the front cover of "British Army Uniforms & Insgnia of World War Two" by Brian L. Davis.

Rob
Old 24-07-13, 05:55 AM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofacqms View Post
David, The last picture appears on the front cover of "British Army Uniforms & Insgnia of World War Two" by Brian L. Davis.

Rob
Rob, I assume that it was been taken from the same book?? The book has to have been produced very early on. I have noticed the odd reproduction of some of the images in other material - but not too many. My understanding is that although the book was "put together" very early in the war, it was not "issued" as such - probably, not until afterwards.... However, I don't have an actual "publication or distribution" date.

I assume that Brian's book does give some credit for the picture...? I have a copy of his book somewhere...... I will see if I can find it.

Rgds, David

Update: Found the book. It credits the IWM, so I assume - from the quality of the flyleaf cover of his book - that they done what I have done. The flyleaf looks very similar but the "original" in the book is sharper. I guess the original negatives are long gone.

Last edited by wright241; 24-07-13 at 06:36 AM. Reason: Update added.
Old 24-07-13, 07:05 AM

Default "From Freedom" A WWII publicity book of the Armed Forces - Other Pictures

Here is another selection of images from the book. Unfortunately, there are none of the Infantry or Artillery - maybe they were a little busy at the time...
They include a nice one showing a group of airman - all in flying gear, but no apparent insignia. Enjoy

The AckAck picture was taken at night and is hard to make out, but what can I say. I also have one of Commando's practising a beach raid from landing craft, however, no insignia is on display and no facial details are clearly shown - unless you are into modelling landing craft....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ForFreedom_AlliedAirman.jpg (69.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg ForFreedom_CarrierDeckWithSpits.jpg (56.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg ForFreedom_IndianMCMPs.jpg (68.9 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg ForFreedom_ARaidRNandRM.jpg (67.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg ForFreedom_AntiACGuns.jpg (38.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg ForFreedom_CovenantorMKVTrials.jpg (59.6 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg ForFreedom_TankLoadingAtDock.jpg (70.9 KB, 10 views)
Old 24-07-13, 07:20 AM

Thanks for posting these. The caption for the Covenanter tank is somewhat economical with the truth. A scholarly work - "Rude Mechanicals" (1987) states, inter alia; "Nearly 2,000 Covenanters were made before being withdrawn from service soon after they had been issued. There were other ill-famed tanks to come but Covenanter was the most comprehensively worthless."
And the power that be authorised almost 2,000 to be built!
Old 24-07-13, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jackson View Post
Thanks for posting these. The caption for the Covenanter tank is somewhat economical with the truth. A scholarly work - "Rude Mechanicals" (1987) states, inter alia; "Nearly 2,000 Covenanters were made before being withdrawn from service soon after they had been issued. There were other ill-famed tanks to come but Covenanter was the most comprehensively worthless."
And the power that be authorised almost 2,000 to be built!
Mike, Like most "50's" kids, I used to make models of most WWII vehicles - and I had all the Army dinky toys - and I don't recall that particular model at all. That was one of the reasons I included the picture. Glad you like them and pleased that others may get some enjoyment out of them. If you want a hires image of the para cover, let me know and I can send it to you. Its about 3Megs.
David
Old 24-07-13, 08:27 AM

Checking out the web for models of Covenanters (they do exist, but didn't when you were model making) I came across a picture of the production line - all that nugatory labour!
Covenanter Production Line.jpg
Old 24-07-13, 08:56 AM

Thanks Mike, Here is another "production line" picture, but not that particular type. This is the Crusader. Plus another one showing Matilda's being loaded.
David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ForFreedom_CrusadersInFactory.jpg (94.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg ForFreedom_MatildasOnDock.jpg (72.5 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by wright241; 24-07-13 at 08:58 AM. Reason: Additional pictures added.