British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > Arab Nations

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-06-10, 03:05 PM

Default 1st Yemen Infantry

Here's a badge which may not even exist. The 1st Yemen Infantry had a brief life after the Great War. British Officers and SNCOs wore a Solar Topee with a cloth flash on the side, all Arab ranks wore a turban without any badge. There was a shoulder title but there may never have been a cap badge - unless anyone's got one?

This is a crest from an envelope and there is a very similar sweet-heart brooch.

Eddie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Yem Inf clip.jpg (28.6 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by Eddie Parks; 14-09-10 at 05:44 PM.
Old 20-06-10, 03:47 PM

I presume you have seen the 1st Yemen Infantry silver brooch depicted in Appx vii of "The Armed Forces of Aden" (Lord/Birtles;2000). It is clearly the same as you show. I have the "very similar" khunjar brooch from my time in the Gulf, and also the badge of the 45th Aden Rifles, 1917-20, (but on paper perhaps to 1934) - but that is nothing like the Yemeni badge.
Old 20-06-10, 05:48 PM

Hi, Yes that's the one I was referring to. The paper crest seems almost identical, in fact it could easily have been based on the brooch. I too have a souk dagger, I think most of us we served in that part of the world do!

I'd love to see the 45th Aden Rifles badge!! Please.
Old 20-06-10, 10:33 PM

Is the 45 Aden Rifles badge the cloth patch in red and black with ADEN RIFLES on it?
Rgds Cliff Lord
Old 21-06-10, 04:34 PM

Regretably I have no wherewithal to post a picture; however here is description:

The Aden Rifles badge is die cast, fairly "delicate" looking, in the shape of a pear/tear drop,40mm x 28mm. Within the "outer perimeter", muskets,crossed half way along the barrels their slings falling symetrically behind a scroll across the butts - at about 30 degrees upwards on each side - inscribed "ADEN RIFLES".
It is voided throughout, brass looking on the front; reverse is smooth/flat wm, with integral lugs.
Old 22-06-10, 10:35 PM

Hello Revdougal,
Thank you very much indeed for the description of 45 Aden Rifles headdress badge. My revised copy of The Armed Forces of Aden 1839-1967 will be off to the publisher in a week or so and I wonder if it would be possible to get a photo or good photocopy of the badge from you to include in the book. You would of course get a photo credit. As an aside, I have a pair of white metal titles of 67 ADEN RIFLES. This is a fine cast and came with some provinence but I can find no record of this unit. It seems strange that it would be faked in such good condition.

The revised edition will have about 100 extra photos and 21 colour illustrations of the uniforms. There will be some new text and a couple more badges. The emphasis is on Arab raised forces rather than British units.
best regards Cliff Lord
Old 23-06-10, 02:31 AM

Cliff,

Do you have a draft to view? must be coffe time....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
Hello Revdougal,
Thank you very much indeed for the description of 45 Aden Rifles headdress badge. My revised copy of The Armed Forces of Aden 1839-1967 will be off to the publisher in a week or so and I wonder if it would be possible to get a photo or good photocopy of the badge from you to include in the book. You would of course get a photo credit. As an aside, I have a pair of white metal titles of 67 ADEN RIFLES. This is a fine cast and came with some provinence but I can find no record of this unit. It seems strange that it would be faked in such good condition.

The revised edition will have about 100 extra photos and 21 colour illustrations of the uniforms. There will be some new text and a couple more badges. The emphasis is on Arab raised forces rather than British units.
best regards Cliff Lord
Old 23-06-10, 04:23 AM

The draft is done, just waiting for one more illustration to come in saumua. Coffee next week?
quicksilver

Quote:
Originally Posted by saumua View Post
Cliff,

Do you have a draft to view? must be coffe time....
Old 23-06-10, 08:41 AM

Revdougal - I would also really like to see a picture of the Aden Rifles badge!!
Eddie
Old 23-06-10, 04:42 PM

How can this be arranged? Local photographer perhaps?
If so, what is actually required?