British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 30-10-13, 09:32 AM

Default 2nd Regiment of Foot (Queens) 1839 to 1860

Hello to the forum.
Is there an image of the correct period badge, crest or insignia for the 2nd Regiment somewhere ?
The dates refer to my great grandfather's service. Ireland to the East Indies and South Africa.
Regards - Paul.
Old 30-10-13, 11:04 AM

You should be able to find what you need here

http://www.queensroyalsurreys.org.uk
Old 30-10-13, 07:18 PM

Thank you Peter.
Have looked and am suitably confused. Further reading should lift the fog.
Paul
Old 31-10-13, 08:10 PM

Hi 2Wing
Here are a few items of the 2nd Foot circa the dates you mentioned...although there were many changes in uniform (and badges) between the dates you mention. Since your Gt.Grandad served with the "Queens" I daresay you are familiar with the regiment's service in South Africa from 1851 to 1860 so I won't bore you with the details, but please find attached some 2F badges of the period :
1, 2, & 3 all date from 1839 to 1855 and are ORs plates. 4 is an Officer's plate of the period 1855 to 61

2F ORs Albert Bn Coy.jpg 2F ORs Albert Gren Coy.jpg 2F ORs Lt.jpg 2F Offs shako plate 1855 61.jpg

all B&W sorry. If I find anymore items re the 2nd Foot for this period I shall post these onto you in my next. Regards Jeff
Old 01-11-13, 09:20 AM

Thank you Jeff.
Those images are very helpful.
I have been to Kew and sat with a pencil copying out some of the places and dates for his service - but that was a few years ago now and memory is fuzzy.
He was a sergeant in 1849 when he married in Dublin.
Had been in the East Indies for over 9 years I think and then went from Ireland to The Cape. He missed the famous stuff and the ship disaster but then was a naughty boy. Got drunk and struck an officer. Spent the rest of his 32 years as a private soldier - returned to London having got his wife over from Dublin - worked for a brewery ! and died soon afterwards as an "Out Pensioner" (if that is correct term).
Regards - Paul
Old 01-11-13, 11:48 AM

Hi Paul
Very interesting. What was his name ? Have you looked him up in WO12 and WO100 etc.? Also there was a medal list for the Kaffir Wars compiled by G.R.Everson, and several "survivor's lists" of the "Birkenhead, tho' from what you have said it sounds like he missed all that ! Regards. Jeff