British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Formation Signs and Patches

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Closed Thread

Old 23-07-19, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchesters View Post
Thats the end of the real Combination collections!!!
I saw those combinations and, at least for me, they don't make the cut.
I suppose less discerning collectors could be fooled if they had a bit of aging.

CB
Old 23-07-19, 04:34 PM

Take heart!! I am not disputing any of the comments so far but if this series of repros continue to be as bad as the 40th Div and Hawk Battalion specimens illustrated there shouldn't be so much chance of confusion.
Mike
Old 23-07-19, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_H View Post
Take heart!! I am not disputing any of the comments so far but if this series of repros continue to be as bad as the 40th Div and Hawk Battalion specimens illustrated there shouldn't be so much chance of confusion.
Mike
Indeed, there is still a lot of obvious dross around but the better quality fakes are improving all the time thanks to modern production methods. Regrettably, one of the unintended consequences of pointing out the flaws in fake badges is that the fakers are watching and learning.
Old 23-07-19, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wood View Post
Indeed, there is still a lot of obvious dross around but the better quality fakes are improving all the time thanks to modern production methods. Regrettably, one of the unintended consequences of pointing out the flaws in fake badges is that the fakers are watching and learning.
I'm not convinced of either of those two things. I think the last statement is a furphy.
Old 24-07-19, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akiko View Post
I'm not convinced of either of those two things. I think the last statement is a furphy.
Well, unfortunately the last statement may not be so much a furphy as one might hope or think.
It has been practiced for long regarding Third Reich material and I fear has already been applied to US and British as well.
It is an issue that many advanced collectors wrestle with when providing certain details as they may be aware that nefarious eyes are watching.

CB
Old 24-07-19, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbuehler View Post
Well, unfortunately the last statement may not be so much a furphy as one might hope or think.
It has been practiced for long regarding Third Reich material and I fear has already been applied to US and British as well.
It is an issue that many advanced collectors wrestle with when providing certain details as they may be aware that nefarious eyes are watching.

CB
Thank you but I'm hardly the uninitiated.
Old 24-07-19, 06:29 AM

The reproduction market is a serious hazard and is the reason any serious collector needs to do homework, research and adopt a forensic approach. This is perhaps a double edged sword as any collector should research and appreciate the items they have anyway - no matter what their value. On the other hand, reproduction and fake items, manufactured for whatever reason pollute the market and arguably should be clearly marked to forewarn new collectors who could and will be fooled, either now or in the future. Personally I have a very hard-line view and think even a 'gap filler' can diminish a display ... but that is personal choice. Even when you buy attributed groupings you may find a veteran has 'added' to their insignia for reunions etc ... how do you view Commando Association badges etc? personally I do not like to display them with contemporary WW2 items. No doubt we all have lessons to learn, no matter how long we have been collecting (over 50 years), we can only keep researching, researching and researching.
Old 24-07-19, 07:11 AM

I don't understand the problem, it is described as new, it is simply another copy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Brydon View Post
Old 24-07-19, 03:26 PM

Frank
OK the seller is upfront but what happens subsequently?
We were all new once, but do not to pretend to be what we aren't
A funny simile if like me you are an identical twin, but a simile all the same ;-)
Mike
Old 25-07-19, 08:15 AM

Mike,
Subsequently, it will remain a fake, I don't collect formation signs, notwithstanding, my advice to anyone that does, would be to keep up to date with copies to avoid buying them as original in the future, if that involves actually buying an example, so much the better as you can then determine the differences. now and not in a decade or two.
It is unfortunate that people have done so much damage, take Peter Green for example, his wares are now available across the whole marketplace, often being sold as original, sometimes out of ignorance, usually deliberately.
I am not sure what having a twin, or not, has to do with this thread and I do not pretend to be what I am not.
Regards Frank
Old 25-07-19, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
Mike,
Subsequently, it will remain a fake, I don't collect formation signs, notwithstanding, my advice to anyone that does, would be to keep up to date with copies to avoid buying them as original in the future, if that involves actually buying an example, so much the better as you can then determine the differences. now and not in a decade or two.
Wise words.
Originals should be studied and researched and then it is easier to determine the fakes. This goes for cloth and metal.
Old 25-07-19, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
Frank
OK the seller is upfront but what happens subsequently?
We were all new once, but do not to pretend to be what we aren't
A funny simile if like me you are an identical twin, but a simile all the same ;-)
Mike
But Mike, your brother Richard is much shorter than you
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4DD22227-7BD5-4A7A-A0CC-83F20B745FCE.jpg (40.0 KB, 28 views)
Old 25-07-19, 01:01 PM

Frank - no offence intended - the simile was a joke ... in my mind a fake is pretending to be something it isn't. If you had an identical twin you would know the pitfalls of people thinking you are someone you aren't.
You are right that the study of fakes is one way of avoiding pitfalls ... an increasingly necessary task and part of the 'forensic approach' most collectors appear to adopt, not least through using this forum.

Hi Paul - I wish, ... he 'nearly' always got the better of me in a scrap, he has almost an inch in height on me, but thankfully reach is the same. ;-)

All the best
Mike
Old 31-07-19, 02:06 PM

Some examples or what happens in due course when repro (or whatever you what to call them ) items are produced:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10th-Batta...8AAOSwPNBdMw5y

and

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-8t...gAAOSwTglYk3b2

and

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Liverpool-...kAAOSws59dNNdE

P.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 31-07-19, 10:40 PM

What is your point Peter?