British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Foreign Badges and Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 27-04-12, 07:10 PM

Default Dating US badges

Hello,

Just a quick, and I hope simple, question about US formation patches:

How is it possible to date them? Are there any fail safe ways to identify a repro from an original?

I am particularly interested in being able to tell real Korean War and/or WWII ones.

Many thanks & best wishes
BP
Old 27-04-12, 08:36 PM

From the point of view of a non-American collector, it's a minefield. I think you'll have to find a true US expert - and subscribe to Militaria magazine - it carries articles on US collectables every month (this month, for example, an excellent article on items of personal kit brought home in 1945 by four members of 501st PIR which served in 17 AB Div and 101 AB Div).
Old 28-04-12, 12:38 AM

Hello BP,

While your question is quick the answer is not simple. While I don't consider myself an expert I have collected US patches for 50+ years. Most, if not all, have been reproduced. The best method to sort out the duds is to use an ultra violet light. If it glows move on. Another method is to take a thread from the insignia and burn it. If it melts don't buy it. The reason for this is that the WWII and Korean patches were made of cotton thread and the more recent examples contain synthetics. I don't know off the top of my head what the cut-off date was. I am always leery of elite units, i.e. 101st AB. Always look at the back. Many times you will see white thread which is good. Other variations have a green back. If you buy off eBay kmkoll2 is a seller I can recommend. I have met him several times. He is the president of ASMIC the American Society of Military Insignia Collectors. You might also go here and research your question. Finally, a good reference for WWII US insignia.

Good luck and good hunting,

Don
Old 28-04-12, 09:46 AM

Hmmm...

That's rather what I feared. I'm sure that subjects like airborne etc. are rarely real, but what about more 'mundane' infantry divisions?

Specificially I'm particularly interested in the 3rd, but also 2nd and 7th IDs from Korea, will there be so many reproductions of those? Is it possible to tell from the backs?

Thanks for all your help!
Old 28-04-12, 11:51 AM

The divisions you list are not that rare. None were inactive after WWII and continued to serve in Korea after the armistice. There is no great incentive for someone to make reproductions. If I were you I would look for SSI made in Japan. ASMIC does sell reference books. You can find them here. Your greatest problem, I believe, will be dating an example. One good thing about the Korean War, no one pays attention to it. Even the 187th RCT is largely forgotten.

Don
Old 28-04-12, 12:23 PM

Default US Eighth Army

For what it is worth this US Eighth Army sign was acquired by a wounded Royal Artillery officer somewhere down the evacuation route from Korea to Japan. This rather beaten-up sign must be Korean or Japanese-made.
US Eighth Army c 1951.jpg
Old 28-04-12, 12:48 PM

Mike,

I have seen other US insignia using this same type of manufacture which were made in Japan post WWII.

Don
Old 28-04-12, 04:35 PM

Mike - Yes, those sort of bullion badges were popular - soldiers on "R&R" from Korea would often get them made when they were in Japan. You often see Commonwealth, Canadian, US "Korea" titles etc. in that bullion threading. I do like the Japan-made ones, but you often have to look quite hard to find them on the web.

Don, I'm afraid you'll have to bear with me - what is an SSI?

Thanks very much for being so tolerant!
Old 28-04-12, 09:37 PM

SSI= Shoulder Sleeve Insignia

Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 29-04-12, 12:17 AM

Hi,

Just got back to my computer. Jo is right. My apologies for using US Army speak. That is officially what patches are called. Simpler than spelling it out. I would think that Korean War and WWII SSI would be about the same. There must have been lots of them left over. If you go to the US Militaria Forum I referenced before you may find someone who has some for sale or who has more information.

Don
Old 29-04-12, 09:20 AM

OK, thanks!

Just one other thing - for Korea, would the 7th ID patches be hemmed, if so in what colour? A brief search has turned out red, black, green and some that aren't at all.
Old 02-05-12, 07:44 PM

...Anyone?
Old 02-05-12, 08:47 PM

I don't know if you checked this website but I would go for the first 6 ones for your Korrean period.
http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/foru...p?showtopic=25

Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 02-05-12, 09:02 PM

Dating American badges? I would suggest a drive-in movie but lots of help here:

http://universityhonors.umd.edu/HONR...ts/sombat.html

Old 03-05-12, 04:52 PM

Thanks! Sawstonjohn - I'll bear that in mind...

Unfortunately, I cannot see the American militaria forum link because I've "used up my weekly/monthly quota of pages I can see without joining" - I've applied to join, but best part of a week now and nothing.

Ho hum.