British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 26-06-13, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgeman View Post
Good Evening Gents,
Just reading this thread I remembered I have some of these!, have a look and tell me what you think?
BM
OK thanks for your input, I forgot to say that it belonged to my Grandfather who was an unarmed combat, small arms, and Bren gun instuctor for the LRDG, and was great friends with David Striling, my granddad always said it was his, but not sure now?
I have also heard that at the reunions sometimes they made badges to give out to the members that were there, could this be one of them? Otherwise any ideas were/how he got it, as he would not have bought it, when he came home after the war, like so many others he didn't want to know or have anything to do with it, he had a "Big Bonfire", and only gave me this just before he deid in 1984, it was the only thing he had left!
Thanks in advance
BM
Old 26-06-13, 06:58 PM

A great family history, much to honor and celebrate. I wish I could give you a different answer, but to the best of my knowledge, your badge doesn't have the characteristics of the originals. Your theory about it being a reunion or association piece could explain it. Shaun Saumua is one of the best Forum members to ask when it comes to LRDG material; you might want to PM him, or see if he posts a reply to this thread. Good luck! Donovan

Last edited by castagain; 26-06-13 at 08:28 PM.
Old 26-06-13, 10:37 PM

OK mate thanks will see if I can find Shaun, but suspect your right, as I already said granddad really didn't want to know about it, and got rid of everything related to that time, I think my Nan may have got it for him somewhere if not a reunion piece?
BM

Tags
lrdg