British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 25-06-19, 11:45 PM

Thanks for posting those images, that is genuinely the first one I have seen without traces of lugs and I actively search for Parachute Regiment cap badges. I have not seen one with an unmarked slider either so would appreciate a pic.

As I said earlier in the thread, Gaunt produced Queens crown Para badges post war, and as we know they also produced kings crown badges with a slider from the evidence of the subject of this thread, from your pics and mine.

The questions that are impossible to answer for certain for me are; did they use old WW2 stock with lugs and remove them to add a slider (as per my example), did they also use old stock that had not been lugged and add a slider (as per your example) or did they continue to use the WW2 die/dies after the war and produce more badges from it. They may have used old stock and also produced more badges post war from the old dies.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_E2499.jpg (35.3 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_E2498.jpg (32.9 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2505.jpg (17.8 KB, 37 views)
Old 26-06-19, 09:09 PM

Tried this afternoon, looked in the 3 tins I’d have expected it to be in but couldn’t find it sorry.

It is definitely somewhere, back to the drawing board. But, on the plus side I found a Connaught Rangers I thought was lost/binned plus several badges I’d forgotten I own and had been even seeking examples of. So defo worthwhile and likely saved me a few quid!

I’m absolutely certain new badges were struck like my two. The ones with scars the question is how old is an old batch. They could’ve been made the day before the new specification for slider fitting came in or they could’ve been made months or perhaps years before. Personally I suspect sooner rather than later.

Given the relatively modern period we’re talking about I’m sure the records must still exist which would settle this debate as to when orders were placed.

When you say ‘old die’ realistically the sealed pattern hadn’t changed (fitting aside perhaps) until the new QC pattern was sealed. So although the die may have been made in WW2 it was still current right up to the end of the KC period. Indeed many dies had life spans and were used to make badges for far longer periods.

Last edited by Luke H; 26-06-19 at 10:33 PM.
Old 26-06-19, 11:47 PM

Never mind, thanks for looking anyway.

I should probably have said original instead of old when referring to the dies.

I will be searching in particular for an example like the one you have posted and also for an unmarked slider badge.

Cheers,
Jack.
Old 21-07-19, 01:50 AM

Found it.

... had forgotten how short the slider was clipped

From looking at it closely it’s not from the Gaunt die. However I think it proves the point that WM KC Para badges were struck post war with the intended fixing being a slider.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F866FB40-CCAD-4A0B-90E8-8A4EADC14E25.jpg (74.7 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg 0A540FEF-46B9-4591-8AF6-4B452A32A24C.jpg (77.2 KB, 116 views)
Old 28-07-19, 04:36 PM

Hello Luke

I was the eventual buyer of the Gaunt badge featured on this thread. Its a really nice badge. I also have another slider version, not stamped Gaunt with no signs of lugs ever being fitted.

Regards
Paul
Old 28-07-19, 04:41 PM

Hi Paul,

Glad it went to a good home and at a good price too. How’s the SF collection going? Thought you were moving away from Paras, although it was such a nice badge I can well understand the temptation. Cheers very much for the info, good to know there are a few of these post war ones around.

Cheers,

Luke
Old 07-08-19, 07:48 AM

Hi Luke
I am almost there with paras, but when I see I nice badge I cannot resist, I have purchased 3 in the last month as they were slightly different variants, Nickle plated voided crown, a white metal with the back filled in , and the slider one.

I am moving to SAS but as I do not know much about what’s good or bad I need to tread carefully as there is too much money at stake .

I am selling my non para airborne, as I realised the scope is so wide. But will keep my Glider pilot items just because I like them.

Cheers
Paul
Old 07-08-19, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pahannah View Post
Hello Luke

I was the eventual buyer of the Gaunt badge featured on this thread. Its a really nice badge. I also have another slider version, not stamped Gaunt with no signs of lugs ever being fitted.

Regards
Paul

Hi Paul,

Can you see evidence on your Gaunt slidered badge of lugs having been removed, also is your other unmarked slidered badge from the Gaunt die?

Cheers,
Jack.
Old 13-08-19, 06:05 PM

Hi Jack
My Gaunt one is the one in this thread . My other is not a Gaunt and has no sign
Of ever having lugs fitted

Regards
Paul
Old 14-03-22, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack8 View Post
It is an original WW2 badge by Gaunt with the well known die flaws. The lugs have been removed and replaced with a named slider to fit the post war berets with slider pockets.

These badges are not common in this form and I have only ever seen three including this one.

Cheers, Jack.
Anyone know when the slider pocket para beret come into use?

Jerry