British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 28-01-17, 07:51 AM

Looking under a loop; the tiger is just rub worn on that surface area, though there appears to be a very small die imperfection on the leg itself.

The leftmost "E" has a couple of surface scratches or imperfections but there is a raised "blob" of sorts on the scroll between the L & E; no damage per se.

Tim
Old 05-02-17, 05:55 AM

Martin,

As I am still getting used to photo posting on this forum, I now see my initial attachments were fairly small.

Here's another edge shot showing those striations. I was thinking what you were saying about finishing work but, I think if someone was filing the edge, it would have filed the whole edge and not just the lower half of the banner. My thoughts anyway.

Additionally, regarding the banner strike; though it's not the best shot to use, if you look at the left-most "E", you can see the edge was lightly stamped as the left edge of the letter is soft compared to the others.

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg e1.jpg (57.6 KB, 27 views)
Old 05-02-17, 08:04 PM

Default ‘Striation’ marks on Leicesters badges

Hello Tim

I’ve had a quick look at a couple of my ‘kitten-faced’ maker’s type Leicesters badge like yours, and on these there seem to be ‘striation’ marks pretty much all along the lower edge and ends of the bottom ‘Leicestershire’ scroll, as well as along the upper edge of the top ‘Hindoostan’ honour. As I’ve said, I’m afraid I’m not an expert on the manufacturing processes involved here, but I have always assumed that the white metal scrolls for these Leicesters badges were die-stamped out of a sheet of metal, cut out and then applied to the brass badge, which itself had been die-stamped. I am happy, therefore, that the ‘striation’ marks to which you refer would simply be part of the finishing process for this, I take it to try an ensure there were no sharp edges. The ‘striation’ marks on my badges, or at least the ones I’ve looked at, go across the white metal of the scrolls and across the brass of the badge. Though, once again, not being an expert, I can’t know if I am right about how I think these scrolls were made and applied. I am sorry if this does not answer your query fully, and maybe there is someone else here on the Forum that would know more about the processes involved?

Best regards

Martin

“Scutelliphiliacus in vestri insignia pergaudete”
Old 05-02-17, 08:17 PM

Martin,

A very small digression if I may? For those of us who do not know the difference, would it be possible to give side-by-side examples of a so-called 'kitten faced' badge and a non-'kitten faced' badge, please?

Last edited by Jelly Terror; 05-02-17 at 09:28 PM.
Old 05-02-17, 10:31 PM

Default ‘Kitten-faced’ and non-‘kitten-faced’ Leicesters Badges

Hi JT

In order to respond to your question I’ve hurriedly put together the attached image from some photos I already had, so I hope they suffice! The badge on the left is the ‘kitten-faced’ one, whilst the one on the right, for contrast, is the Smith & Wright maker’s type:

The term ‘kitten-faced’ is one I learnt from a fellow collector of Leicesters badges, and assume he used it because of this particular variant’s cat-like features when compared with other types. Though, to be frank, it personally reminds me more of a Scottish wildcat than a little kitten!

As far as I am aware this particular manufacturers’ variant, when a bi-metal badge, always comes with a vertical shank (slider) and oblong braze/sweat holes (though these can vary in size and exact position). In addition, this same ‘kitten-faced’ type appears as an all-gilding metal badge, and, whilst I do not yet know who the maker of these was, they also made the Oakham and Uppingham OTC badges (interestingly the later Uppingham CCF badges were by Smith & Wright) - hope this helps to clarify things a little??

Best regards

Martin

Old 05-02-17, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Ticker' Riley View Post
Hi JT

In order to respond to your question I’ve hurriedly put together the attached image from some photos I already had, so I hope they suffice! The badge on the left is the ‘kitten-faced’ one, whilst the one on the right, for contrast, is the Smith & Wright maker’s type:

The term ‘kitten-faced’ is one I learnt from a fellow collector of Leicesters badges, and assume he used it because of this particular variant’s cat-like features when compared with other types. Though, to be frank, it personally reminds me more of a Scottish wildcat than a little kitten!

As far as I am aware this particular manufacturers’ variant, when a bi-metal badge, always comes with a vertical shank (slider) and oblong braze/sweat holes (though these can vary in size and exact position). In addition, this same ‘kitten-faced’ type appears as an all-gilding metal badge, and, whilst I do not yet know who the maker of these was, they also made the Oakham and Uppingham OTC badges (interestingly the later Uppingham CCF badges were by Smith & Wright) - hope this helps to clarify things a little??

Best regards

Martin
Thanks Martin. There's evidently a great deal more to the idiosyncrasies of the various Leicesters badges than might at first be imagined.

Appreciate you taking the time and trouble to explain.

Cheers for now,

JT
Old 06-02-17, 12:53 AM

Always nice to see comparisons! Thanks for showing as well.

Do we know who made the versions with the oblong oval sweat holes?

Tim
Old 06-02-17, 07:32 PM

Default Leicesters badges with oval braze holes

Hello Tim

Regarding Leicesters badge with oval sweat/braze holes, it actually rather all depends on the badge in question! As far as I can recall there are two different manufacturers’ types that have oval braze/sweat holes – one is the Smith & Wright variant, which is shown on the right-hand side in the photo I put up above in my previous posting. These have three large oval braze holes behind the bottom ‘Leicestershire’ scroll, and generally, though not always, two much smaller oval holes behind the ‘Hindoostan’ honour.

The other makers’ variant, the manufacturer of which I have not identified, is very similar to the Smith & Wright one, but has a different appearance to its face. This comes with only two large oval holes behind the bottom scroll, and two slightly smaller ones behind the top one. This other variant also comes without any braze holes at all, and an example of this will be found earlier on this thread here.

In case you’re interested, I think I’m right in the Smith & Wright badges come with non-voided and voided tail loops, whilst the other type are always non-voided.

Best regards

Martin

Old 07-02-17, 05:17 AM

Martin,

Thanks for the detailed response. I seen one recently for sale, though I couldn't say if it had that lower center braze hole due to the slider but, looking at the details of the tiger, it has slightly different die characteristics. So, I would assume it was this other manufacturer.

Thank you sir!

Tim
Old 13-02-17, 03:26 PM

I understand this is about ORs badges,But here is a well worn officers example.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF8113.jpg (56.6 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF8116.jpg (63.7 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF8117.jpg (51.7 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF8118.jpg (49.5 KB, 16 views)
Old 13-02-17, 06:17 PM

Default Worn Leicesters S&G Badge

Hello Monty

That’s a very nice badge you have there, despite all the wear, which, although a shame is, itself, interesting. It is my belief that the badge you have, although apparently unmarked, is the Bent & Parker maker’s type. The telltale sign is the fact that the two ‘i’s in the ‘Leicestershire’ bottom scroll are slightly shorter than the other letters, this is particularly noticeable with the first one. Why it is quite so worn I cannot say, as being an officer’s badge I wouldn’t have thought it needed to be polished in the way it seems to have been. Still a good badge to have, thank you for sharing.

Regards

Martin

Last edited by 'Ticker' Riley; 13-02-17 at 06:23 PM.

Tags
great war, leicestershire regiment