British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 22-01-16, 04:42 PM

Default Glider Pilot Regiment BD blouse on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WW2-British-...UAAOSwa-dWn-d2

what chances of being a genuine item?
Old 22-01-16, 06:55 PM

As far as I know there was a contingent of RAF pilots that was attatched to the Glider Pilot Regt. after the heavy losses the latter took at Arnhem. They would wear the RAF rank insignia I presume. Secondly the rounded GP shoulder flashes are quite an uncommon alteration. I also don't like his other listed Bd's..
Old 22-01-16, 07:27 PM

Not sure about a contingent, but after DDay surplus aircrew trained as navigators and flight engineers were redirected to train as glider pilots - they were first used on VARSITY, crossing the Rhine in 1945; but as far as I am aware they retained RAF rank and uniform. I researched one of these poor devils for his family; he was flying a Hamilcar carrying a 17pdr AT gun and its ammo load. It was hit by AA fire; there was nothing to bury..
Old 22-01-16, 07:41 PM
Banned

5 grand and 250 dollars postage!!
Old 22-01-16, 11:04 PM

I dont know about the RAF BD but about 25 years ago I owned the 225 Para BD that he is advertising. I bought it for in the region of £30 and sold it to a collector of AB items in the US about 5 years later. At the time I sold it I did know who it belonged to and if I search around I can probably find who it was. Not many RAMC DCM's to the Airborne. I think all three of the BD's he is advertising came from the same collection so I think (for what its worth that they are original and all correct). RAF officers and NCO's atached to 6th A/B for OP Varsity (Rhine Crossing) wore a mixture of both Khaki BD's and RAF Colour BD's with insignia on and there are many photos of them wearing them around so there is no doubt that this configeration is absolutely correct.

In case anyone is interested I have no connection to the seller. I just wish I had kept the RAMC BD especially in mind of the price its selling for now.
Old 22-01-16, 11:52 PM

although not very good quality, colour shot of RAF sergeant glider pilots prior to Operation Varsity. a report following Varsity recommended that for future airborne operations RAF glider pilots should replace their RAF blue grey berets with maroon ones. in some instances on Varsity RAF personnel were mistaken for the enemy as their berets were interpreted as being feldgrau, ergo German.
note, even in 1945 '37 pattern blouses were still being worn.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RAF Glider Pilots.jpg (36.5 KB, 78 views)
Old 23-01-16, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstaffords View Post
As far as I know there was a contingent of RAF pilots that was attatched to the Glider Pilot Regt. after the heavy losses the latter took at Arnhem. They would wear the RAF rank insignia I presume. Secondly the rounded GP shoulder flashes are quite an uncommon alteration. I also don't like his other listed Bd's..
There is an excellent book, 'wot, no engines?'. Which tells the story of RAF pilot 'volunteers' in the Glider Pilot Regiment after the huge losses at Arnhem left the regiment undermanned.
Proud to say, my late neighbour is one of those featured. RIP Gordon.
T
Old 23-01-16, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loupie1961 View Post
http://www.ebay.com/itm/WW2-British-...UAAOSwa-dWn-d2

what chances of being a genuine item?

For what it’s worth, I went to his store a while back to look at some of these BD’s in person and I liked this one in particular. It’s just not in line with what I normally collect. “We collectors” are picky sorts when buying. I have purchased a few things from him in the past, but very specific to my field. He is a little pricey, but as he has said to me before, “find me another one for less”.

Cheers
Old 23-01-16, 07:14 PM

Default Glider pilot regt and other junk.

The seller is selling all sorts of rubbish, everything I have seen are fakes. His Glider pilot helmets are just motorcycle helmets, para battledress are thrown together from spare cloth badges, medal ribbons are incorrect for Kings/Queens regulations, both para berets are copied, airborne artillery flag looks bad. Total rubbish the lot of it.

Last edited by gavin frankland; 23-01-16 at 07:48 PM.
Old 23-01-16, 10:35 PM

In the sellers defence I have just dug out a polaroid photo of the blouse I have had for at least 22 years and it looks just like it did when the photo was taken even to the slight wear on the front of the title on the left side of the BD. I have no doubt it is the same one.

Knowing the man who built up the collection that it was in who only took the best I think it is in all probability the real deal.

Cheers

Arnhem
Old 23-01-16, 10:47 PM

Hello everybody

I am very busy in my store and dont have time to go on every forum to talk to everybody but the information on the BD's I have listed are as follows;
Yes they were purchased many years ago by myself when I had a airborne collecting problem. Thankfully I no longer have that problem and I only buy and sell stuff. Yes the three listed BD's were owned by a collector in the US whom I bought them from about 14 years ago. The RAF Glider pilot tunic is listed on page 109 of Peter Taylors book Allied Special Forces insignia 2nd edition. I certainly dont have time to sew anything together and I have no interests selling reproductions unless stated otherwise.
The parachute field ambulance one is the only one I have seen and or had on the open market.
I hope this answers some questions from the relevant members

Mr Franklin
I do not appreciate your moronic emails via ebay. If you have some proof that these uniforms are not real I would love to hear about it in a rational logical reasoning way. Just because you might not be able to afford it doesnt mean it is not real. So get a grip on yourself and respond like a man with proper english. I am not interested in having a bun fight with you. I stand behind what I sell and I have the only military retail store in Ontario never mind the biggest in the whole country. I have been in the business for over 30 years. That fact and $2 will get me a coffee at tim hortons.
Dave Hiorth
Miltiary Antiques Toronto
Army Outfitters
Old 23-01-16, 10:54 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin frankland View Post
The seller is selling all sorts of rubbish, everything I have seen are fakes. His Glider pilot helmets are just motorcycle helmets, para battledress are thrown together from spare cloth badges, medal ribbons are incorrect for Kings/Queens regulations, both para berets are copied, airborne artillery flag looks bad. Total rubbish the lot of it.
Whilst cloth and in particular SF items do not flick my switch, I find it a little hard to comprehend how you can be so critical? I think the tin hat described as battle damaged is probably a little too glamorous a description, it is just dented! It could have been as a result of contact with the enemy or just knocked off the kitchen work top!

To declare a sellers entire selection of wares as total rubbish should have some sort of indication as to why?

Andy (metal cap badge collector)
Old 23-01-16, 11:18 PM

Default GPR battledress top

The shoulder titles, Pegasus and captain's pips are all Army items, which would imply this man actually transferred to the Army, rather than being just attached. The three RAF men in the photo are using RAF rank and there are no Army items on their uniforms. Has anyone seen any contemporary photographic evidence of the combination of GPR titles, Pegasus, pips etc with RAF wings?
Old 23-01-16, 11:21 PM
Super Moderator

Mr. Frankland, Rather than casting aspersions on the vendor, if you have concerns would you address the item. Whyis the tunic bad? Whatcan you point to the specific details? Blanket statements don't really do much for the members of the Forum.
Old 24-01-16, 06:01 AM
MG4684

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw2311 View Post
He is a little pricey, but as he has said to me before, “find me another one for less”.

Cheers
Give me a pair of GPR shoulder titles, pegasus flashes, an RAF brevet, war-aid battledress blouse and a medal ribbon, and I'll get back to you in a couple of weeks