British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 24-01-16, 06:04 AM
MG4684

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
Mr. Frankland, Rather than casting aspersions on the vendor, if you have concerns would you address the item. Whyis the tunic bad? Whatcan you point to the specific details? Blanket statements don't really do much for the members of the Forum.
No explanation regarding the first pattern pulp DR helmet being sold as a glider pilot helmet; nor the home office pattern DR helmet for that matter. And yes, glider pilots did wear the former in training and early- on in the war, but to describe both as more desirable glider pilot helmets is plain wrong in my book.

With regards the listings mentioned by "Mr Frankland", all I know is that the Compton maroon beret is worng, they weren't a wartime manufacturer

Last edited by MG4684; 24-01-16 at 08:35 AM.
Old 24-01-16, 06:15 AM
MG4684

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin S View Post
The three RAF men in the photo are using RAF rank and there are no Army items on their uniforms.
RAF pilots seconded to the GPR prior to Operation Varsity; I believe the photo was taken at RAF Earls Colne?. It was featured on the front cover of an issue of Medal News long ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin S View Post
Has anyone seen any contemporary photographic evidence of the combination of GPR titles, Pegasus, pips etc with RAF wings?
Only this one, note the RAF chap with pegasus flash
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PDVD_049.jpg (44.6 KB, 58 views)
Old 24-01-16, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
Mr. Frankland, Rather than casting aspersions on the vendor, if you have concerns would you address the item. Whyis the tunic bad? Whatcan you point to the specific details? Blanket statements don't really do much for the members of the Forum.
Always suspicious of such vitriol laden postings such as Mr Franklands, especially when they come from members with low posting history.
Rival dealers? Disaffected buyers perhaps?
Old 24-01-16, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG4684 View Post
all I know is that the Compton maroon beret is worng, they weren't a wartime manufacturer
Are you sure?

Rgds, Thomas.
Old 24-01-16, 05:23 PM
MG4684

Quote:
Originally Posted by fougasse1940 View Post
Are you sure?

Rgds, Thomas.
As sure as I can be; based on a fellow collectors research into wartime manufacturers over on the WA forum, and myself having never seen a single wartime-dated example in all the years I've been doing this.
Old 24-01-16, 05:32 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bewley View Post
Always suspicious of such vitriol laden postings such as Mr Franklands, especially when they come from members with low posting history.
Rival dealers? Disaffected buyers perhaps?
Just do a Google search!

Very enlightening!

Andy
Old 24-01-16, 06:35 PM

I have bought from Dave Hiorth at Miltiary Antiques Toronto only recently and found him to be a very sound bloke with a lot of good stock.

I see Gavin has a Para/SAS background which is of course a credit to him but not sure on his knowledge of original WW2 militaria.

Everything I have had from Dave has been original.

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 26-01-16, 10:44 PM

Default Mr Frankland

I didn't know I was so popular. My points are-

1-No communication from seller.Even if you don't agree what's being said, a two way conversation is nice.
2- Glider pilot helmets are 50's 60's motorcycle helmets.A simple check would have cleared that.
3-One of the para berets lettering does not match to that era.
Example- Kangol Wear Limited (date)= WW2

Kangol
Wear Limited (date) = post war
One of the berets lettering is fresh,too fresh. To be like this the plastic cover which all had from new has just been removed.The beret could not have been worn, making why the 1940's numbers have faded away. I know from my own issued berets how long the lettering lasts.
4- 158 Para Artillery was not formed in ww2, making the flag incorrect.

As for what I can and can not afford is school boy judgement.

I am by far means not a font of knowledge on these items, but I am however not easily fooled.

I hope this helps.
Old 30-01-16, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG4684 View Post
they weren't a wartime manufacturer
Allow me to be a bit more specific: Compton was a wartime headgear manufacturer, but not for maroon berets. The only maroon berets from Compton that I know of are either from 1955 or 1964.