British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Photographs of British Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 03-05-15, 12:51 PM

Default Beach REME Sword Beach D Day

I have always found the first image very interesting because of its composition and detail. It is the only image I know of which depicts the BEACH REME shoulder title being worn (by the soldier crouched below the motor bike wearing the helmet with the Beach Group white band marking). But I have always been interested in identifying the light coloured object tucked into the cross straps on the central soldier's (wearing headset) large pack. Today - on eBay - I found out what it is - an RN issue night signalling torch - second image. Finally, I think that the group of signallers are, not withstanding their steel helmets, members of HQ 1 SS Bde. Note all the toggle ropes. Comments very welcome.Mike
Beach Group_CB5094 BEME Sword Beach 6June1944.jpgRN Night Signalling Torch 30cms length.jpg
Old 03-05-15, 04:56 PM

Mike
A great image - thanks for identifying the Beach REME title - your eyes are better than mine.
Attached is an image of Commandos of 1st Special Service Brigade, crouching on Queen Beach, Sword Area, before moving inland - 6 June 1944. They are in deed wearing helmets at this stage.
Regards
Mike
Old 03-05-15, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
Mike
A great image - thanks for identifying the Beach REME title - your eyes are better than mine.
Attached is an image of Commandos of 1st Special Service Brigade, crouching on Queen Beach, Sword Area, before moving inland - 6 June 1944. They are in deed wearing helmets at this stage.
Regards
Mike
Another remarkable image. A very brave man standing with his back to the enemy. Extraordinary Jeep with wading air intake behind the standing figure with a lightweight (? airborne) trailer lashed to its bonnet! Mike
Old 03-05-15, 06:08 PM

... it remind me of that scene in Apocalypse now with the bullet proof air cavalry officer strutting around, uttering those immortal lines "I love the smell of napalm in the morning, it smells like victory"

very interesting observations

Mike
Old 03-05-15, 06:18 PM

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...j2g&ajaxhist=0
Old 03-05-15, 06:32 PM

Smile

The very same attitude for sure - :-)
Old 03-05-15, 09:28 PM

I have been looking for an image of a BEACH ORDNANCE Flash in use for some time to no success! all the images I have seen have been obscured for one reason or another.

That they were worn for a very short period of time does not help.

Wanted Poppy Pins
Old 03-05-15, 09:38 PM

This image was taken by Sgt J Mapham, No.5 Army Film & Photographic Unit (AFPU) and is held in the IWM.
It is titled: "Troops, including signallers and Beach Group personnel, sheltering behind a Universal Carrier on Queen beach, Sword Area, 6 June 1944."
Old 03-05-15, 09:40 PM

The image posted by Mike B was also taken by Sgt J Mapham, No.5 AFPU, and is titled, "Commandos of 1st Special Service Brigade crouch on Queen beach, Sword area, before moving inland, 6 June 1944."
Old 03-05-15, 09:59 PM

Mike B, the scene in Apocalypse Now may have been fiction, but well recorded is the remarkable story of Lt Col Tom Trevor, No.1 & No. 6 Commandos, who was the British liaison officer with the Colonel Rudder's 2nd US Rangers assaulting the cliffs at Point Du Hoc on D-Day. He had trained the Rangers in Scotland and was an expert at climbing.
Col Rudder described him as, "... a great big [six feet four inches], black-haired son of a gun - one of those staunch Britishers."
Tom Trevor refused to wear a tin helmet but instead wore the coveted Commando green beret whilst walking up and down the beach shouting encouragement to the US Rangers. When Ranger Lieutenant Vermeer yelled at him, "How in the world can you do that when you are being fired at?"
Tom Trevor retorted, "I take two short steps and three long ones and they always miss me." Just then a bullet hit him in the head and drove him to the ground. He got up and shook his fist at the machine gunner, shouting, "You dirty son of a bitch."
Old 03-05-15, 11:52 PM

Hi,
Not sure if they are signallers from HQ 1 SS Bde. Maybe from another Commando unit. There is some footage showing 4 Commando personnel using large packs rather than Bergens and some wore their steel helmets for the landing.

In the photo one looks like he has a beret on top of the large pack under the straps.

I believe the Commandos in the attached photos are signallers from HQ 1 SS Bde. The footage was taken on the 1st June 1944 while in camp waiting to go. Bergens and toggle ropes around the body.

In the photo Mike B posted the officer standing on the beach is Lt Paddy Stevens, 41 RM Commando. There is some more information on him here http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jm.stevens/pocock.htm

Regards

Danny

1.jpg 2.jpg
3.jpg 4.jpg
5.jpg 6 B 5094 ed beret.jpg
4 Cdo Dawson ed.jpg

Last edited by Danny; 04-05-15 at 08:00 AM.
Old 04-05-15, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jackson View Post
Another remarkable image. A very brave man standing with his back to the enemy. Extraordinary Jeep with wading air intake behind the standing figure with a lightweight (? airborne) trailer lashed to its bonnet! Mike
I would imagine that was done to take up less space on the landing craft.
Old 04-05-15, 06:54 AM

Regarding No5 Cdo post about Tom Trevor (above) - please see attached ... Another interesting story. From recollection it was Tom Trevor who introduced the toggle rope.

The character in 'Apocalypse Now' is supposedly based on fact - but unfortunately I have forgotten the officers name - please see update insert below

Robert Duvall as Lieutenant Colonel William "Bill" Kilgore, 1st Battalion, 9th Air Cavalry Regiment commander and surfing fanatic. Kilgore is a strong-willed leader who loves his men but has methods that appear out-of-tune with the setting of the war. His character is a composite of several characters including Colonel John B. Stockton, General James F. Hollingsworth (featured in The General Goes Zapping Charlie Cong by Nicholas Tomalin), and George Patton IV, also a West Point officer whom Robert Duvall knew.[10]

Danny - Great images, good to see the beret on top of the pack - soon in wear. Thanks for the name and link.

Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img214.jpg (86.6 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by Mike B; 04-05-15 at 07:19 AM.
Old 04-05-15, 07:16 AM

I couldn't resist posting this link - hope you don't mind it being slighly off thread - any excuse to see it again ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jts9suWIDlU

Mike
Old 04-05-15, 10:45 AM

Default Loaded vehicles

Actually two images that have been badly joined - there's about a 2 foot gap in the coverage down the centre line. This shows Carrier Pl of 1 S Lancs, 8 Inf Bde, 3 Inf Div and an RE Dozer from a Beach Group. Vehicles certainly well-laden.
D Day loaded 1 S Lancs and RE Beach Gp dozer.jpg