British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Photographs of British Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 26-03-15, 02:35 PM

Default Gunner Uniform Date and Style

I am attempting to date the attached photo, a Sgt Rough Rider, probably RFA from his arm badges.

His jacket appears to be the ORs frock introduced for the RFA and RGA in 1878but it lacks shoulder straps and cuff ornamentation. Collar grenades were introduced in 1880 suggesting a date before that.

I am not an expert on RA uniforms of this period. Can any informed members help out please?

Jon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Unknown Group.jpg (54.5 KB, 72 views)
Old 26-03-15, 02:43 PM

Going by the general appearance I would date it to 1879-1880 the same as you Jon. I will try and research further what is clearly a 5-button working frock and report back later on.
Old 26-03-15, 02:49 PM

I would say he is a Cavalry man.

Rough Riding Instructor Sgt. with an NCO's regimental badge above, possibly PoW feathers. I dont think its a crown.

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 26-03-15, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchesters View Post
I would say he is a Cavalry man.

Rough Riding Instructor Sgt. with an NCO's regimental badge above, possibly PoW feathers. I dont think its a crown.

regards
Well spotted, even on just my phone I can see a badge above the spur now that you have drawn it to my attention. I can't see well enough to comment if it is PoW feathers, but I think you might well be right that he is a cavalryman.
Old 26-03-15, 04:48 PM

A close up of the badge shows it as definitely an RA gun, the muzzle and ram rod - as per this later example - clearly visible.

Jon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gun badge.jpg (48.5 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg RA Gun wire Jm.jpg (59.1 KB, 6 views)
Old 26-03-15, 05:01 PM

Yes,

You are right, I was wrong.

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 26-03-15, 05:27 PM

Simon,

Easy mistake to make based on the original photo. I had to blow it up to see the gun.

A friend who studies civilian costume dates their clothes to 1891-1893 which has thrown me somewhat.

Jon
Old 26-03-15, 05:56 PM

There was a "Fatigue Jacket" that did sometimes defy the regulations.

Marc
Old 26-03-15, 06:25 PM

Cool E.Edwards

Edward Bex settled in the West Sussex seaside town of Worthing in 1887 where he worked under the trade name of "Edward Edwards". This puts the dates of 1891-93 a probability.

Rob
Old 27-03-15, 09:55 AM

Were the RA O/R's brass collar grenades introduced as early as 1880? I thought it was later than that - c. 1895/1897 but unfortunately I don't have a reference to back that up. I have used that period to help date old photos though and it usually seems to fit..

Perhaps someone else can clarify?

David

Further to the above, I've just checked some notes I've made over the years and 1897 is the date I have for the introduction of RA O/R's brass collar grenades. Unfortunately, I haven't noted where I got that date from, wish I had done now, so I can't guarantee that it's accurate.

Last edited by davidwyke; 27-03-15 at 10:51 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 27-03-15, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwyke View Post
Were the RA O/R's brass collar grenades introduced as early as 1880? I thought it was later than that - c. 1895/1897 but unfortunately I don't have a reference to back that up. I have used that period to help date old photos though and it usually seems to fit..

David

Further to the above, I've just checked some notes I've made over the years and 1897 is the date I have for the introduction of RA O/R's brass collar grenades. Unfortunately
, I haven't noted where I got that date from, wish I had done now, so I can't guarantee that it's accurate.
No I don't believe so David, all the references I have, including books specifically on RA dress, say 1880-1881 for the OR's plain brass grenade.
Old 27-03-15, 04:00 PM

Default RA O/R's Collar Grenades

Thanks for clarifying that, Toby!

The question which now arises is how widely were they worn? I've certainly seen photos which definately post date 1880/1881 for one reason or another and no grenade collar badges are being worn.

As an example, a photo of a regular artilleryman which, unusually, is signed and dated on the reverse - 1886 - but no collar badges.

David
Old 27-03-15, 04:33 PM

The Universal pattern grenade, should have been worn on the Frock from 1878, and the Tunic from 1880.

It was not worn by the RHA.

Marc

Last edited by 54Bty; 28-03-15 at 10:20 AM. Reason: Text added.
Old 27-03-15, 09:13 PM

Quote:

David

Further to the above, I've just checked some notes I've made over the years and 1897 is the date I have for the introduction of RA O/R's brass collar grenades. Unfortunately, I haven't noted where I got that date from, wish I had done now, so I can't guarantee that it's accurate.
Quote:
Thanks for clarifying that, Toby!

The question which now arises is how widely were they worn? I've certainly seen photos which definately post date 1880/1881 for one reason or another and no grenade collar badges are being worn.

As an example, a photo of a regular artilleryman which, unusually, is signed and dated on the reverse - 1886 - but no collar badges.

David
All I can say is that they were regulation. As with all soldiers they do not always observe a regulation, often through no fault of their own. That said, you will see them far often than not.
Old 28-03-15, 10:34 AM

Default RA O/R's Collar Grenades

Just for interests sake I did a "survey" of the RA photos I have as the results might have a bearing on dating the photo in question.

I have a total of 26 CDV's & Cabinet Photos which definately depict RA O/R's., both Regular & Volunteers. (I realise the Vols probably wore white metal grenades rather than brass). Out of the 26, 16 of them are wearing collar grenades. So, no problem there, they have to date after 1878/1880 as per the dates provided by Marc. That's also fairly obvious with most of them due to other factors.

Of the remaining 10 (without collar grenades), 5 of them definately date after the above period also, confirmed by factors such as the date mentioned above, the photographers imprint being dated, uniform items, etc. That leaves 5 more, at least a couple of which are probably also after the above period although I can't be sure. The other 3 or so are probably 1870's so are correct without the grenades.

I suppose all this supports what Toby intimated, that Regulations are one thing but what was actually worn could be something else again.

The new "rule of thumb" for me as regards RA collar badges will be if they are being worn then the photo has to be after 1878/1880, if they are not being worn then it could be earlier than that but not necessarily so.

Make of that what you will as regards the photo in question!

David