British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 28-05-08, 01:41 AM

Default Irish Regiment of Canada

OK lads, I'm Sure you are all getting a little tired of my Irish Regiment of Canada babble, However, here is a bullion wire badge for the Irish Regiment of Canada. I have not had the opportunity yet to verify this as an actual issued badge. But here it is is.

Also John, I love the photos of your badges, especially the one on the cap. I tried to take a photo of my fathers Air Force Badge, which is still on his cap. All I get is either a bright spot where the badge should be, or a very blurry photo without the flash. If I ever get home before dark, I will take a photo in Natural light.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Irish Bullion BAdge.jpg (69.7 KB, 37 views)

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca
Old 28-05-08, 10:10 AM
Super Moderator

Hi Cliff, That appears to be a queen's crown variety?
Old 28-05-08, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
Hi Cliff, That appears to be a queen's crown variety?
Hello Bill, yes it is an Edwardian Crown, Queen's Crown cap badge. I really hope to find the time to dig up some further information on it. I have absolutely no information in regards to this badge.

I do not know if it is a legit badge,although I have no reason not to at this point. This one is defiantly cap badge size and not a blazer crest for certain. Is it Officers? ORs? I do not know. If it is legit, when was it issued? Just some of the many questions I have. I suspect this badge came about when the Irish dropped the Caubeen and opted for the silly beret. Unfortunately even that date eludes me at the moment.

Old 29-05-08, 04:46 PM
Member 2008-2010 Rest in Peace

Cliff
I didn't know the Irish dropped the caubean , When did this happen? Do they not wear the caubean at all now with any dress, Do they wear the O'Saffron kilt on any occasion? What have they done, That's a damn shame. It's a wonder they didn't take the badge & give them a general service one,(tri-service) Ray
Old 30-05-08, 03:52 AM

The Caubeen was dropped sometime in the 80's I believe. The CO at the time was an ex Van Doo. He disliked the caubeen and the kilt. He felt they were an expence that could be done without. I was at the Coriano Dinner in September 2006 (IIRC) Col Voltonen told us he was bringing back the Caubeen and the Kilt. To say the least, this really impressed the vets. To date, the caubeen has been reissed to most of the the Irish but not all. Kilts are a bugger to get, just owing to the costs.

Old 30-05-08, 01:12 PM

Most regiments have a Senate, consisting of previous Colonels and Honouraries, whose primary role is to ensure continuity and consistency. How did the Van Doo CO ever push this through and, once doone, I can't understand that the return should be so easy. If every regiment changed their dress, distinctions and traditions with every new CO there would be no time for operations.
Old 30-05-08, 03:18 PM

Default a 'combo' badge: brass and bullion

I found this interesting, given the thread. EBay item 280231591992.

Albeit an QC RCMP badge, and not a military badge, it has a brass insert for the bison head, and remainder is bullion embroidery.

Are there any examples of CDN forces badges that combine both the bullion and metal/other elements like this?
Old 30-05-08, 05:22 PM

I can think of several CF Branch badges that combined a metal central device with the embroidered "base".
Air Operations Branch
Logistics Branch
Security Branch
Communications and Electronics Branch
Old 31-05-08, 03:18 PM

Default Air Operations bullion badge with metal central device

After several attempts of photographing this badge, this photo is the best I can come up with. Usually I scan my badges, however since this one is still attached to a Senior Officers Cap, this is not possible.

I will try again later to get a better photo, however it seems lately I am never home while the sun is up. Today it is raining.

Clive, I am digging for my notes on the whole Irish dress fiasco, as soon as I find them, I will start a new topic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Air Arm Bullion Badge (Small).JPG (53.8 KB, 36 views)

Old 01-06-08, 03:39 AM

Some CF wire embroidered cap badges....

The first pattern Security Branch cap badge worn by Officers and CWOs was all wire and hand embroidered. This is now obsolete. The current Security Branch (now the Military Police Branch) Officer and CWO cap badge has an enamel center. Below are Officer beret badges, from left to right, General Officer; Military Police (a private contracted pattern); Colonel (again just one of several patterns).
Old 01-06-08, 04:42 AM

Default A couple more 'oldies'

West Nova's & RC Engineers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bulwnsr.jpg (90.0 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg bulrce.jpg (81.1 KB, 22 views)
Old 16-03-09, 03:24 AM

Missed this thread first time around.

One of my favourite items.

A Royal Munster Fusiliers Officers (undress) Forage Cap Badge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg munster officers field service cap badge.jpg (64.8 KB, 26 views)
Old 18-03-09, 10:43 PM

And one more to show about embroidered cap badge.This one of Major D.Currie Of The South Alberta Regiment.
Jo
http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/d...hki39aplh10kh3

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 15-09-09, 11:41 PM

8th army formation sign , worn by a soldier in the polish 2nd corps ,manufactured in Italy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg POL3big.jpg (61.9 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by NEMO; 20-09-09 at 03:20 PM.
Old 16-09-09, 07:06 PM

Never mind damage to the badge. The alternative, the metal badge with posts or lugs, could cause a lot of damage to the forehead if the tank lurched suddenly while the officer was looking through his periscope. However, the same could happen to the gunner, and to the driver if he were "hatches down." They never had luxury of an embroidered badge, which leads me to conclude that the reason for sliders on cap badges had something to with protecting the foreheads of tankers, gunners, infantrymen and others, when armoured personnel carriers and other tracked vehicles became much more common in the Canadian Army in the late 60s and early 70s.
Greg N., you appear to have forgotten my lecture on the definition of "zipperhead" I sent you some months ago. The term applies only to members of the LdSH(RC), and not to armoured soldiers in general.
Wyn