British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Military Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 08-11-11, 02:25 AM

Default 2 Bn Leinster Rgt, Pipes & Drums

Rockape560 kindly posted a link to British Pathe's archive earlier this evening. I did not want to steer that off track.

I know several folks here have an interest in the Leinster Rgt,and one at least in it's pipers, this footage of the medal parade for the battalion at Colchester in 1919 has brief footage of the pipes at approx 00:29:92. A still photo from this parade also appears in Harris's The Irish Regiments a pictorial history showing 10313 Piper Fagan receiving his 1914 star. Interesting footage showing that at least this battalion (of the disbanded Irish units) had it's piper's headdrerss issued & in use prior to disbandment.

John

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=17091
Old 08-11-11, 02:44 PM

hi john,

prob a silly question but was the pipers badge just a larger version of the regular cap badge .also was it frosted as some or in silver?

thanks

philip
Old 08-11-11, 02:49 PM

Philip

acording to WO359 it is GM & GS (Gilding Metal and German Silver) thus what we call Bi-Metal today. The Photo in Harris' book is quite clear and shows a oversized badge (in relation to the forage cap badge) with a slightly different spay of feathers from the forage cap badge.

John
Old 08-11-11, 03:01 PM

When would the Leinster Regiment have had Pipes & Drums and which battalions? The Pathe clip says 1929.
Aad
Old 08-11-11, 03:10 PM

That date I believe is that date when the film footage was filed or made available.

The parade from which the footage was taken was held in 1919.

The 4th Bn Leinster Rgt (formerly Queens County Militia) formed a pipe band in 1903. I do not have data at hand to give dates for the regular battalions or comment on the service battalions

In his book "The Pipes of War A Record of Achievements of Pipers of Scottish and Overseas Regiments during the War of 1914 - 1918" The author Sir Bruce Seton states that all battalions of the Leinster Rgt had pipes. This book was published 1920

John
Old 08-11-11, 08:44 PM

John, thanks for posting the original link. Spent hours looking at the early Republican parades since I first visited earlier today.

Éirinn go brách.
Old 09-11-11, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tynesideirish View Post
John, thanks for posting the original link. Spent hours looking at the early Republican parades since I first visited earlier today.

Éirinn go brách.
Don't thank me thank Rockape560, isn't this resource fantastic!

I have seen

Henry Wilson opening the Ulster Tower (how many of us have walked that path to the tower and then gone to the woods and walked to the Schwaben Redoubt). Least us never forget!!!

The 32 Battalion going to the Congo - equipped to fight the Germans on the Western Front but in 1960! This is not the forum to discuss the bravery of The Irish Army in the Congo (with outdated kit) suffice to say they upheld the bravery shown by the their countrymen in the Great War.

Ford Mk VI armoured cars going to fight the Saladins in the Congo. Those in the know will realise what this means!

The Irish Guards going to Constantinople in 1920 - I found fascinating

and many, many more, in these islands we are more alike than we are different (IMO)...

Éirinn go Brách indeed and as we approach Nov 11 for all those Irishmen who sacrificed their lives in all wars "Do chum gloire De agus Onora na hEireann"

John

Last edited by John Mulcahy; 09-11-11 at 01:29 AM. Reason: added content
Old 09-11-11, 11:12 PM

Excellent gentlemen and well said, John.

I've always found the line "For our today, they gave their tomorrow......." most appropriate, to me it just says it all........

Dave
Old 10-11-11, 01:20 AM

Default Quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by mule-73k View Post
Excellent gentlemen and well said, John.

I've always found the line "For our today, they gave their tomorrow......." most appropriate, to me it just says it all........

Dave
Dave ,

That is a great quote. Who said it?

I would like to use at selected times.

John
Old 10-11-11, 02:57 AM

Hi All,
Found this on Wikipedia. Tinto

Kohima has a large cemetery for the Allied war dead maintained by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission. The cemetery lies on the slopes of Garrison Hill, in what was once the Deputy Commissioner's tennis court which was the scene of intense fighting, the Battle of the Tennis Court. The epitaph carved on the memorial of the 2nd British Division in the cemetery:

“When You Go Home, Tell Them Of Us And Say,
For Their Tomorrow, We Gave Our Today”

has become world-famous as the Kohima poem. The verse is attributed to John Maxwell Edmonds (1875–1958), and is thought to have been inspired by the epitaph written by Simonides to honour the Greeks who fell at the Battle of Thermopylae in 480 BC.
Old 11-11-11, 01:26 AM

Default Quote

Tinto,

Thank you for the information,

John