British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Militaria

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 22-12-11, 03:02 PM

Default MORE Belgian Korean War Medals

This is really an extension to my previous thread.
Apologies for the awful quality of the photos...

First, UN medal (missing KOREA-COREE bar). This type was (I believe) made in Belgium as an alternative to the official (square bottom) UN version which was French language only, the Dutch type only ever being issued to the Dutch Brigade.

If anyone can help me out, I'm slightly puzzled by the lack of the two-pronged "spear" fastenings on the back which are present on all Belgian medals (and all others of this type). Is this a replacement or does it indicate a fake?

Second up, the "Article 4" decoration militaire/militaire decoratie First Class medal with unofficial KOREA-COREE clap.

Wikipedia notes:
Quote:
The Military Decoration is awarded in two classes:

The first is awarded for a minimum of ten years' good service, or for fifteen years' service with a gilt chevron added to the ribbon. It has a ribbon of repeating red/yellow/black/yellow stripes.

The second is awarded for gallantry or devotion to duty, and is also referred to as an 'Article 4' award. The medal is the same but the ribbon is red with a pair of yellow and black stripes set in from the edges, yellow outermost. A silver palm can be worn on the ribbon for acts of gallantry during wartime.
Read more:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Militar..._%28Belgium%29

I've also been informed that the type I have was issued between 1951-2 since the motto (and its languages) change.

Thanks!
Brigade Piron.

Last edited by Brigade Piron; 22-12-11 at 03:25 PM.
Old 05-02-12, 06:31 PM

As a matter of interest, is my Article 4 medal a hybrid, since it has the ribbon for the gallentry type and the chevron for the long-service type? Is this possible - or, indeed, common?!

BP

Tags
belgian, belgium, korea, korean war