British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 09-11-10, 07:09 AM

Default Unknown Skull Badge

Hello,

I'm new to the forum and don't specialize in British militaria, so I'm wondering if anyone here can help me out. A few months ago, I had purchased a British badge that was listed as a RAF badge. At the time I didn't know what it was, although it was cheap, so I bought it.

This badge is made out of a clear plastic (possibly as early type of plexiglass) with a wreath border (possibly pressed from an RAF badge) and a metal skull in the center. Today, while I was researching skull badges, I had noticed a No.4 Commando badge (here) which looks very similar to mine.

Anyways, does anyone recognize this badge and what it may have been used for?

Old 09-11-10, 03:55 PM

Cool Skull badge

There were I am told skull badges designed and made for the early Commando's, as to whether they were worn officially or unofficially I could not say.

Your badge looks as though the "Eagle" at the top comes from a large RAF button, the skull from a 17th/21st Lancer cap badge and a wreath from some other source all mounted on plastic. It looks old, but how old, difficult to say.
Old 09-11-10, 08:55 PM

Hey, thanks for the response. I must have seen the "Death or Glory" badge a hundred times before, although for some reason never recognized the similarities this this badge.

Do you think that this could be a badge for some interaction between the RAF and the 17th/21st Lancers, or could this just be some sort of fantasy piece?
Old 10-11-10, 05:55 PM

Cool Interaction or fantasy

Unfortunately items like this unless accompanied by some form of provenance such as a photograph of it being worn are only really for curiosity value in my opinion. Anyone could have made this anywhere between 1918 and 2010, which is a large timespan.

It could help if you approach the person you bought it from and ask where they acquired it from and was there anything else with it, that could give you a clue to it's origin. Apart from that, keep it, as it was obviously something that interested you and more information may appear in the future.

Last edited by Sonofacqms; 10-11-10 at 06:06 PM.
Old 11-11-10, 07:07 PM

For the same reason as archaeologists hold on to items until they can identify them at a future date I would hold on to it until research throws something up.

James
Old 19-01-11, 07:58 PM

I have a similar item in that it is colourless "pastic" item of similar shape, but it has the impression of the King's Crown RAF cap badge in it, as if pressed in from behind, & no fixings.

I have no idea what it's supposed to be, but thought that despite its large size may be some "workshop" type circa WWII form of plexiglass sweetheart pendant or similar.
Old 16-03-24, 03:44 PM

The item referred to in my above post, it's possibly had a pierced area or fitting for suspension at the top:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20240316_135109~2.jpg (107.3 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 20240316_135204~2.jpg (91.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 20240316_135211~2.jpg (74.6 KB, 5 views)