British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Civilian Services: Police, Prison Service, Fire Brigade, Merchant Navy, etc.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-03-21, 04:03 PM

Default Met specials + Ayrshire cons + Birmingham?

Thought I'd post these for general interest and opinions on two items (Ayrshire & Birmingham) The Lavender specials is a good photo with different ranks shown along with division letter V (Wandsworth) 3 District on collars. Standard cap badge to the MSC and LS 1914 Breast badge/Medal, all still obtainable for £10-£12, though there are some sellers on ebay (and some dealers) who charge a lot more. I bought the Ayrshire constabulary one (chromed) purely because I like the design of the badge. Anyone have any idea what period it was in use for? Obviously it is pre-53, and I have seen it on a site described as in use between about 1925 and 1936. But I have also come across early 1950's photo's showing the same style badge being worn by constables, so maybe the badge was worn as shown in my post for a great many years?
I think the Birmingham badge may be a fake? I have only ever seen one other with a pin back like this, which had a rubbed J.R. Gaunt London maker mark on it. I'm not too keen on the enamel either.
Hope you like the post, gents
Awaiting opinions
billyh
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LAVENDER SPECIALS.jpg (79.3 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg MSC1.jpg (58.4 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg MSC2.jpg (38.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg MSLS1.jpg (49.4 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg MSCLS2.jpg (54.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Ayrshire1.jpg (44.0 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg AYRSHIRE2.jpg (64.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg BSC1.jpg (41.8 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg BSC2.jpg (63.3 KB, 10 views)
Old 17-03-21, 05:05 PM

None of them are "fakes". The Birmingham SC with the brooch fitting was intended for issue to women. They have no button holes in their jackets (apparently).

The Ayrshire cap badge is quite common and was worn through to amalgamation in 1975. The King's Crown featured on Scottish Police badges until 1975 when a (Scottish) Queen's Crown national badge was introduced. The Met. SC badge was worn (in chrome) as a cap badge into the 1960's. The bronze version were produced in their thousands and are also very common.

Dave.
Old 17-03-21, 05:56 PM

Hi Billyh

As Dave says Ayrshire Constabulary wore the badge you show until 1975. Below is some more information on the subject you might find of interest (Dave - please chip in if I've got anything wrong).

The Scottish “National Pattern” cap badge (A) was introduced during the 1930s and gradually adopted by all but 4 of the existing forces (burgh/city/county) until 1975 when the regional forces were created by various mergers. Those that did not adopt it were:

1. Aberdeen City Police used the cap badge (C) c.1936 until 1975.

2. Ayrshire Constabulary wore the cap badge you have from 1901 until 1975, with chrome versions likely being brought in during the 1930s.

3. Lanarkshire Constabulary wore a double-headed eagle from 1907 until 1975, again with chrome versions likely being used from the 1930s.

4. Slips my mind at present, possibly Invernessshire Constabulary?

In 1975 all the territorial forces were merged into 8 regional forces (see below), adopting an updated version of the “national pattern” cap badge (B). For a period of about 10 years late 1990s-early 2000s(?) Tayside Police used an enamelled cap badge (D).

Central Scotland Police
Dumfries and Galloway Constabulary
Fife Constabulary
Grampian Police
Lothian and Borders Police
Northern Constabulary
Strathclyde Police
Tayside Police

In April 2013 the 8 regional forces plus the Scottish Police Services Authority, including the Scottish Crime and Drug Enforcement Agency, merged to form the Police Service of Scotland, with the cap badge (when visor caps are worn) remaining unchanged.

Caveat: the above is based on my understanding of the subject (I have left out officer's badges), I may be wrong on one or two points and am happy to be corrected if I am.

Hope this helps

Graham
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 17Mar2021 002b.jpg (60.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 17Mar2021 006b.jpg (93.4 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 09Feb2021 003b.jpg (108.2 KB, 7 views)
I am looking to purchase items from the British Administration Police & Prison Services in Cyrenaica & Tripolitania; Eritrea & Ethiopia; Somalia (f. Italian Somaliland) & British Somaliland; & the Dodecanese: insignia, documents, photographs etc.
Old 17-03-21, 06:38 PM

Graham,

You are more or less spot on there mate. The only thing I would add is that Invernessshire adopted the Scottish National KC cap badge in the 1930's.

Dave.
Old 17-03-21, 07:32 PM

Thank you for that excellent info chaps. Good to know the Birmingham badge is a women's issue. I do collect to women, who's wartime contribution is sometimes overlooked. Re Scottish badge A. When did Glasgow stop using this a a centre to the helmet plate? Please, and how many forces used this badge as a cap or helmet badge?
Billyh
Old 19-03-21, 04:43 PM

I assume that Glasgow police stopped using badge 'A' in the centre of their helmet plate, when helmets were phased out in Scotland, during the fifties.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg City of Glasgow Police.jpg (86.0 KB, 8 views)
Old 19-03-21, 05:27 PM

You really need to get yourself a copy of "Scottish Police Insignia as Used by Old Police Forces" by John Green. Tells you all you need to know about Scottish police badges. There are new copies on eBay at a "buy it now" price of £8 plus £3.75 postage. The original retail price was £29.95.

Dave.