British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Closed Thread

Old 02-01-21, 06:39 PM

Before VAT there was Purchase Tax which was introduced in 1940 and was basically a tax levied on "luxury items" !

The tax was subsequently set at differing rates dependent upon individual items' degree of "luxury" as determined by the government of the day.

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 02-01-21, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49lassiepen View Post
''MR FARGE has got his way-good to see you believe in democracy I thought the British people voted to leave the EU or am I missing something
David
Ah, nooooo. The Scottish and the population of the north of Ireland voted to remain

T X
Old 02-01-21, 09:33 PM
LYPAO Boff

Day 2..... Great Britain is not a member of the EU..... BREXIT is so 2020.

"A Yeoman from the Stalwart Rural Cavalry"
Lechyd da pob Cymro
Old 02-01-21, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarabelle View Post
Ah, nooooo. The Scottish and the population of the north of Ireland voted to remain

T X
In case its escaped your notice, Scotland and Northern Ireland are part of Great Britain or United Kingdom whatever you want to call it. We voted to leave and we've left. End of...........

I may be wrong, but I think Devon voted to remain perhaps they should have a moan and start a campaign for independence?

Those who are complaining in this thread about paying for auctioneers fees, eBay fees, postage, Royal Mail handling fees, VAT, import duty and the cost of badges etc, I have a suggestion for you all. Its this - stop collecting whatever you collect and start ballroom dancing, yoga or some other hobby where you don't have to put your hand in your pocket. This will result in you being heathier and wealthier and hopefully have nothing to moan about.

Dave.
Old 02-01-21, 09:47 PM

AH YESSSSSSSSSS U.K voted to leave if you can't accept a democratic vote perhaps you should move to a dictatorship
Old 02-01-21, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49lassiepen View Post
AH YESSSSSSSSSS U.K voted to leave if you can't accept a democratic vote perhaps you should move to a dictatorship
Had folks been told that BREXIT would mean badges would be more expensive a majority may have sided with Scotland and NI and voted to remain. These bloody politicians never tell you everything!
Old 02-01-21, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belly View Post
Now Mr Farage has got his way, you'll no doubt all be pleased to know you'll be charged VAT on any badges purchased from the EU and brought into the UK:

Not sure of the full implications yet, but see extract from the PO:

"When receiving goods from abroad, recipients may have to pay VAT and duties. The VAT and duties will be applied depending on the type and value of the goods. For gifts over £39 and goods over £135, Royal Mail may collect the VAT and customs duties on behalf of HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC). from the recipient prior to delivery. Letters, postcards and documents are usually exempt."

https://www.royalmail.com/brexit

Oh, and happy new year....
GOOD!!
Old 02-01-21, 11:05 PM

How many of us specifically voted to leave so that we could get those 'penny-pinching Remainers' out of the badge market, thus more lovely badges for our own 'Brexiteer' collections?

I know I did - I had no interest whatsoever regarding the future direction and prospects of our great nation, I just wanted more decent shiney items for my collection!!

(The above is in jest before a political bun fight begins!)
Old 03-01-21, 09:45 AM
LYPAO Boff

Fun fact....... I am now in my 6th year of the UK NOT being a member of the EEC/EU.

"A Yeoman from the Stalwart Rural Cavalry"
Lechyd da pob Cymro
Old 03-01-21, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by altcar73 View Post
In case its escaped your notice, Scotland and Northern Ireland are part of Great Britain or United Kingdom whatever you want to call it. We voted to leave and we've left. End of...........

I may be wrong, but I think Devon voted to remain perhaps they should have a moan and start a campaign for independence?

Those who are complaining in this thread about paying for auctioneers fees, eBay fees, postage, Royal Mail handling fees, VAT, import duty and the cost of badges etc, I have a suggestion for you all. Its this - stop collecting whatever you collect and start ballroom dancing, yoga or some other hobby where you don't have to put your hand in your pocket. This will result in you being heathier and wealthier and hopefully have nothing to moan about.

Dave.

Ahhh Nooo, the English voted to leave the majority of Scotch and the northern Irish voted to remain but were dragged out against their collective wishes and that is why the united kingdom is less united now than it has ever been and you can choose to ignore that fact if you want but the maps are going to be redrawn soon because of it

T
Old 03-01-21, 02:01 PM

And at my age I don’t need a lecture from ANYONE suggesting how I spend my money and spare time.
Old 03-01-21, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarabelle View Post
Ahhh Nooo, the English voted to leave the majority of Scotch and the northern Irish voted to remain but were dragged out against their collective wishes and that is why the united kingdom is less united now than it has ever been and you can choose to ignore that fact if you want but the maps are going to be redrawn soon because of it

T
Scotch!
You are obviously just mischief making with your posts, no self respecting true SCOT would say Scotch when referring to that race from north of the wall.
Old 03-01-21, 02:03 PM
Super Moderator

I think it's time to call a day on this thread.
Closed Thread