British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 11-04-20, 05:07 PM

Default Any Ideas About this Cadet?

Any information about this photo would be great.

This came out of a photo album I purchased 20 years ago (unfortunately photos were being sold individually and were a jumbled mess).

Although, I didn’t know the owner he has pictures of himself and friends in North Africa, Italy and England (of course). He appears to be in the Canadian Postal Corps, was quite a tourist, and as a civilian seems to have worked on Great Lakes ships. He was also into art and painted some pictures, but unfortunately (again) the antique shop only had one of the paintings left when I got there.

An enlargement of this photo was provided free of charge by W.A. Starnaman in Kitchener, Ontario.

Threw in a second photo from the album looking for some help figuring out where it was taken.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200411_114835.jpg (47.9 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg 20200411_115020.jpg (69.9 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg 20200411_115052.jpg (57.6 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg 20200411_114455.jpg (47.8 KB, 51 views)
Old 11-04-20, 05:39 PM

The Governor General's Foot Guards.
Old 11-04-20, 06:07 PM

Default Photo location

The 4th photo was taken outside the main entrance to the Canadian Parliament building in Parliament Hill Ottawa Ontario, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peace_Tower if you enlarge the image you will see the elaborate entrance archway at the foot of the Peace Tower. regards John

Last edited by cavalryman; 12-04-20 at 10:27 AM. Reason: Link to Peace Tower
Old 12-04-20, 03:53 AM

Thanks Hoot. I've got that cap badge on the wall right in front of me and once you point it out it becomes obvious.

Would the hat and pants be black and the jacket scarlet?

There is a number of statues around the parliament buildings. Could this be one (Tecumseh?) in the background?

Thanks John. Only a little embarrassment here. I’ve been through those doors at least five times and walked by the outside of the building at least five more time and I couldn’t remember a unicorn sticking out its tongue.
Old 12-04-20, 10:16 AM

Default Native Indian statue

Found the Native Indian statue also in Ottawa Ontario.
https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Anishinaabe_Scout regards John
Old 12-04-20, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDEV View Post
Thanks Hoot. I've got that cap badge on the wall right in front of me and once you point it out it becomes obvious.

Would the hat and pants be black and the jacket scarlet?

There is a number of statues around the parliament buildings. Could this be one (Tecumseh?) in the background?

Thanks John. Only a little embarrassment here. I’ve been through those doors at least five times and walked by the outside of the building at least five more time and I couldn’t remember a unicorn sticking out its tongue.
As far as I know the dress uniform should be as you describe it but I have to say it all looks one colour to me.
Old 12-04-20, 03:56 PM

Tecumseh was a bad guess because he would probably be outfit in at least parts of European dress.

Statue has an interesting story of its own. I can how see in the photo that a taller structure is rising to the left.

I now have another spot to visit on my next trip to Ottawa (whenever we take a non-essential trip).
Old 12-04-20, 04:17 PM

I thought the same thing.
Old 12-04-20, 04:48 PM

Default Native Indian statue

You can see in this link the original position of the Native Indian, which is seen in your 1st photo. that is until the PC brigade got him removed to the other location. http://notesandqueries.ca/web-exclus...-shane-rhodes/ regards John
Old 14-04-20, 04:39 PM

Thanks for the article, John. Funny where things can go from an old photograph. Now, I'm wondering why they picked that statue as a background and remember recently the same sort of thing playing out with General Lee being taken out of a park and put into a museum.