British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 10-01-14, 10:59 AM

Default Parachute Regiment variation?

Does anyone have a clue what this badge is? Sorry the image isn't any better. It almost seems to be an amalgam of Parachute Regiment and SAS badges.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 46wwinsfordremembrance8_n134646.jpg (19.1 KB, 156 views)

Last edited by Hussar100; 10-01-14 at 11:12 AM.
Old 10-01-14, 11:27 AM
Banned

Both the cap and blazer badges are British Parachute regiment over SAS
Old 10-01-14, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hussar100 View Post
Does anyone have a clue what this badge is? Sorry the image isn't any better. It almost seems to be an amalgam of Parachute Regiment and SAS badges.
It would seem that this gentleman served with both Para Regt and the SAS so he has amalgamated both hat badge and blazer badges.
His medal array is impressive with the pre 1962 GSM (bar Malaya?) and 3 bars to his '62 GSM which at a guess are NI, Dhofar & possible Lebanon. He also has the Oman victory medal and I think the TA medal, Silver jubilee and a couple of others I cannot make out.

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)
Old 10-01-14, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAS1 View Post
Both the cap and blazer badges are British Parachute regiment over SAS
Quote:
Originally Posted by engr9266 View Post
It would seem that this gentleman served with both Para Regt and the SAS so he has amalgamated both hat badge and blazer badges.
His medal array is impressive with the pre 1962 GSM (bar Malaya?) and 3 bars to his '62 GSM which at a guess are NI, Dhofar & possible Lebanon. He also has the Oman victory medal and I think the TA medal, Silver jubilee and a couple of others I cannot make out.
Is this an acceptable way to wear these badges? Does the array of tin ring any alarm bells?

In other words, do you think this gentleman is a Walt?
Old 10-01-14, 12:19 PM

I would think he could have a Cyprus on his GSM and perhaps a Radfan or South Arabia on his CSM along with a possible Dhofar, as has already been suggested, sadly,all these gentlemen are getting rather old now.
Old 10-01-14, 12:22 PM

He his an MID on his CSM too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hussar100 View Post
Is this an acceptable way to wear these badges? Does the array of tin ring any alarm bells?

In other words, do you think this gentleman is a Walt?
Old 10-01-14, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
He his an MID on his CSM too!
So do you think he's genuine? The absence of any crosses suggest to me he's a fine old soldier with a superb campaign record but the badge is very odd.
Old 10-01-14, 12:31 PM

Yes, I think he would prove to be so, I would give him the benefit of the doubt anyway, unless proved otherwise!
Agree regarding the badges, but, what hell, maybe he looks back with a lot of pride in his time in the Parachute Regiment!
Old 10-01-14, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
Yes, I think he would prove to be so, I would give him the benefit of the doubt anyway, unless proved otherwise!
Agree regarding the badges, but, what hell, maybe he looks back with a lot of pride in his time in the Parachute Regiment!

Thanks Frank.
Old 11-01-14, 12:08 PM

I personally find it a little strange that he wears a maroon beret after assuming he has earned a sand beret.
Old 11-01-14, 12:09 PM
Former Member

I wonder if his name is Walter?

Andy
Old 11-01-14, 12:21 PM
Banned

I agree about the beret and would prefer the sand one. Saying that he might have spent twenty years with Para and only one with SAS, and been at a Para do.
Old 11-01-14, 12:37 PM
Former Member

You are all being far too kind! That is some time span for the issue period of the medals he's sporting even with TA service?

Andy
Old 11-01-14, 01:32 PM
Banned

1) he served in those regiments and everything is above board.
2) he served but has embellished his record.
3) he's a pure Walt.
Old 11-01-14, 01:38 PM
Super Moderator

The 4th medal from the right is the TD for TA srvice. I believe that the correct place for this is after all other medals. The 3 to the right are probably foreign or privately bought 'commerative' in that case and have no place being there. I think it is the Goldern Jubilee rather than the silver which does not tie in with the pre'62 ID of the GSM! It's not unusual for old TA to add in these 'bling' medals or self award Jubilee medals that they have bought but it is frowned upon as 'walting'. If one had all those campaign bars and a MID - why bother with the bling?

Last edited by Alan O; 11-01-14 at 02:35 PM.