British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 22-10-12, 10:03 PM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Smelly View Post
Dave
I kind of liked it to start with but then I was thinking the same as Steve in that it was something else with a medal rosette added. However, now I see your back pic I'm not so sure, the wires seem too long for this. I will look through some of my books again. Sorry if this just confuses it more.
If it helps chear you up a little, I have a few spare parts and donor bits for you
Lee
Cheers Lee,

All bits and pieces are welcome, thanks, as far as the badge is concerned, all I want is the knowledge if you follow ?

I certainly do not have any axes to grind on this occasion.

Take care.

Dave.
Old 22-10-12, 10:07 PM

Hi Dave
can you bend the wires slightly and have a look at the rear of the star and do a pic ? steve

Last edited by ASR142; 22-10-12 at 10:10 PM. Reason: speling
Old 22-10-12, 10:14 PM

NINE flames

Goodnight.

ZZZZZZZzzzzzzzz

Brian
Old 23-10-12, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASR142 View Post
Hi Dave
can you bend the wires slightly and have a look at the rear of the star and do a pic ? steve
Here you are Steve !

Hi Brian/Peter J,

Even with the slightest of doubts over the number of flames on the image in Churchill, it cannot detract from the fact that it is a metal collar badge imitating a bullion badge. mine is definitely a bullion model.

Dave.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg London 3 315.jpg (76.3 KB, 42 views)
Old 23-10-12, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davec2 View Post
Here you are Steve !

Hi Brian/Peter J,

Even with the slightest of doubts over the number of flames on the image in Churchill, it cannot detract from the fact that it is a metal collar badge imitating a bullion badge. mine is definitely a bullion model.

Dave.
HI Dave
well least your smiling about it
well as I stated its a medal rose !!! cheers steve
Old 25-10-12, 12:31 PM

Well folks,

I am of the opinion that I now have a pretty good idea of what I have and I will be contacting the dealer as soon as someone agrees with my conclusion.

Wilf, thanks for the recommendation, The First Londons is great but what a ' Pandora's ' box, seeing the badges that I never knew existed has certainly opened my eyes.

It is a well known fact that I am not the brightest star in the sky and my military knowledge is lacking but I do have eyes in my head that work and so while the master poet and the master highlighter were busy working out how many flames my badge had compared to the image in Gaylor, no-one bothered to mention the fact that my example has TWO prominent flames over the backing flames ???

This is contrary to any Royal Fusilier badge but it is similar to several other Fusilier badges and I have photographed several of the images in Gaylor just to highlight my reasoning, coupled with the fact that if you look at the grenade ball, it is very noticable that there is an area of clean gold bullion and that is because, in my opinion, a different type of motif should be there.

Now that Steve has mentioned the medal rose which appears to be half the size of a R.F. rose I can only conclude that some-one, somewhere has made this badge up and the dealer has unwittingly fallen for it, any thoughts on which Fusiliers badge mine might be would be appreciated ??

Dave.

PS, I'm not really smiling Steve, it's wind and I am gutted !!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg London 3 316.jpg (97.7 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg London 3 317.jpg (49.0 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg London 3 318.jpg (56.0 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg London 3 319.jpg (50.5 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg London 3 320.jpg (98.7 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg London 3 322.jpg (55.4 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg London 3 321.jpg (72.3 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg London 3 315.jpg (76.3 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by davec2; 25-10-12 at 12:34 PM. Reason: PS
Old 25-10-12, 10:32 PM

Everyone lost interest ???

Dave.
Old 25-10-12, 11:38 PM

Hi Dave,

I would, in my very unlearned opinion, say that it is a match up of (a variant) of the badge in your second image with the RF badge.

I can definately see the clean patch you are talking about, much bigger than the rose.

Phil
Old 26-10-12, 09:14 AM

Cheers Phil,

In reality, it matches just about every other Fusilier badge except for the Royal Fusiliers, I listed so many images to show just that.

The lack of response is disappointing but I think I know enough now to approach the dealer with my concerns, I was hoping for a little back up to bolster my opinion but it looks like I'm going to be on my own now, it won't be the first time I've made a fool of myself if I am still wrong ??

Dave.
Old 26-10-12, 09:40 AM

I wish I could help you Dave but I know nowt about Fusilier badges.

Never the less, I reckon enough doubt has been thrown up from forum members for you to be confident to take it back to the seller.

Ivan
Old 26-10-12, 07:25 PM

Come on lads,

This took off like a rocket originally, now all I want is confirmation and no-one wants to say anything ?

Dave.
Old 27-10-12, 10:18 AM

The end !

I have written to the dealer with my concerns and conclusion, I'm sure the outcome will be positive.

I received a gift this morning from Malcolm, two badges in fact, the first is a boss badge with a Royal Fusiliers rose ( we think ), it shows the difference in size compared to the rose on my badge, the boss is almost the same size as the ball on the grenade but it would not cover the clean area already mentioned.

The other badge and this just proves that Malc is one of the ' good guys ', is a smashing example of the Post Office Rifles, nothing to do with this thread but I may as well thank him here, cheers mate you're a star

To pinch David Wright's expression, " what can I say "......

Dave.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg London 3 312.jpg (65.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg London 3 323.jpg (49.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg London 3 324.jpg (90.6 KB, 13 views)
Old 27-10-12, 11:08 AM

Your welcome Dave keep up the good work

Malc

Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover.
Old 28-10-12, 09:08 AM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....
Default That Grenade

Dave,
Just got back last night. Nightmare at Dover. But jammy git here rolls up, its packed out with lorries - I get a truck driver to move his truck forward about 12 inches. Squeeze past and voila. No cars at any of the car booths - all behind me or the other lorries..... Hailstones, snow at Calais, Belgium police checks - but, did that stop me getting back here to look up your badge.... No.

Just separating out the rosette 'device' for a moment.
The NF one in DWoods book - can't post piccies as its copyright etc. But, the 7 (large) flamed and 2 (smaller) ones at the bottom - leaning to the left etc, are in his book and I will bring it back with me. I would stress that not all the collars in his book show the 2 'smaller' flames at the front, and it does appear from the pictures that these 2 appear to have disappeared from the 1960 period on... - however, his book also shows a 7 flame (i.e. minus the 2 small flames) version as being from 1898-1962.
On the NF collars, ALL the (7+2) flame versions 'lean' to the outside.
As I said, I will bring it back with me.
This is not going to be that easy to sort out which regiment it is, but the rosette device does seem to make the whole badge a 'bitsa' - i.e. the grenade may be ok, but the rosette isn't.
I don't have any medals with a rosette on (at least I don't think I do....) otherwise I would bring it back for you to have a look at.
See you in a few weeks. Must get some pics done, I got my hands on some nice Yorkshire related badges. Sorry I can't help any more.