British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-02-16, 12:44 PM

And here is a Bombay City Police (BCP) cap badge. Not in my collection, if anyone has one and wants to sell please let me know.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BCPbadge.JPG (27.5 KB, 9 views)
Old 04-02-16, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khyber View Post
I would like to know who the Burman in the third photo is. He's wearing something that looks like the Indian Order of Merit (IOM) but its supsended from the neck, while it should be with his other medals on his chest. Is that a decoration? can any one tell??
I agree that it looks very like an IOM. Perhaps a personal adaption of the medal for neck wear, though that seems odd while he's still in uniform. Odd!
Old 08-02-16, 04:25 AM

Default "Burns Philp": another theory, possible but unlikely

I know absolutely nothing about colonial police badges but it is interesting that Burma or Bombay police can't be absolutely confirmed.
What about Burns Philp? They operated ships in New Gunea and the South Pacific in the late 19C and probably also after WW1, mainly dealing in copra and sugar. I have heard of a muzzle loading cannon with a BP cast into it. I suspect they had their own police force because they were involved in "blackbirding", a form of slavery which obtained Pacific Island labour for the cane fields of Queensland and the plantations of New Guinea.
Old 08-02-16, 06:00 AM

Sure is a hard one to read. Be good to see a pick now it's Silver.
The only letters I can see could be BB or Bb . Maybe Boys Brigade perhaps.
Old 08-02-16, 08:16 AM

Hello

I have had a PM from a member who collects Colonial Police insignia and he is convinced that it is Burma Police. That's not to say of course, that the same device was not used by other organisations!

I will try and take another photo when the light is better - right in the middle of 'storm Imogen' at the moment, not exactly tropical but pretty bad for these parts!

Regards
Roger
Old 08-02-16, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khyber View Post
I would like to know who the Burman in the third photo is. He's wearing something that looks like the Indian Order of Merit (IOM) but its supsended from the neck, while it should be with his other medals on his chest. Is that a decoration? can any one tell??
I should like to know who they all are. I was hoping that a young Eric Blair might be amongst them but alas he isn't. The Burman in the third photograph is also wearing the British War Medal as is the policeman in the fourth photograph. The chap in the fifth has a Q.S.A. Whilst the policemen in the seventh wears the Military Medal and a 1914 or 1914/15 Star trio.

Last edited by High Wood; 08-02-16 at 09:04 AM.
Old 08-02-16, 11:17 AM

This photograph, taken from the internet, shows Eric Arthur Blair at the Police Training School at Mandalay in 1923. At least two of the men* in this photograph also appear in my Rangoon photograph. As Eric served in the Burma Police from October 1922 until July 1927 my photograph must date to around this time.

*One of whom looks like Josef Stalin, but even the KGB cannot supply proof that Uncle Josef ever served as a lackey of the running dogs of British Imperialism.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Eric B Burma police.jpg (66.1 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by High Wood; 08-02-16 at 11:22 AM.